How to power Airtel/BSNL Modem from laptop ?

Praks said:
Thanks Trip007in

Will PM you soon about details & meet up. It will be better to meet up & discuss.

How about this one ?

USB to DC 3.5mm 5V Power Cable for PCMCIA Cable #35 - eBay (item 390121361318 end time Dec-20-09 21:15:09 PST)

Looks very nice..

Is ur cable same ?

The cable looks exactly similar. However, I cannot guess if that DC pin exactly the same size of the modem pin. Not sure if it is 5.5 mm or 3.5 mm. But I guess it should be 5.5 mm DC pin rather than 3.5 mm one. I had bought one of such cables from SP road (Asked for USB Power cable for external DVD writers) for Rs. 40/- at S.P road, Bangalore. But it did not fit in the modem power slot. it was a smaller pin may be 3.5 mm.Anyways I was not aware of various dimentions of DC pins, so I could return it to the vendor. Therefore I would advise u to carry the modem power adaptor along with you or find out if it is 3.5 mm or 5.5 mm DC pin, when u go for purchasing the USB power cable and match the pin while buying such cable. Do not buy it from the online store. You may find it in computer shops.

I found a link to 5.5 mm USB to DC 5V power cable, which may be more appropriate for modem than 3.5 mm. Have a look, this may work but again not sure about the size. So try ur luck.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320451914187

@trip007in

Thanks for the link.

Do we have any such thing available on ebay.in ?

Do you have any idea which pin Airtel 220 BX uses (5.5 mm or 3.5 mm) ?

Praks said:
@trip007in
Thanks for the link.

Do we have any such thing available on ebay.in ?

Do you have any idea which pin Airtel 220 BX uses (5.5 mm or 3.5 mm) ?

Nope, sorry I have no idea about the modem and availability of the product online. thats why I did it on my own.

finally got a cable.
now, the doubt is, which cord is + & (-) :D

f0rdco.jpg

can someone help?

connected like in pic

nv1e36.jpg

but when i power the modem, the "power' & "DSL" LED's in modem remain ON (also the backpanel ethernet lights). nothing happens.

am i doing something wrong?

in the modem's power adapter, -
outside is (-), inside is +

awesome thread guys. some very intelligent ppl here..
a lot of stuff went over my head though.. will bookmark this for future use

archat68 said:
Maybe the mobo is not supplying enough current to the USB ports. You may try using two USB ports in parallel.

a little more explanation about parallel:D

get another usb cable like u have already got, join black wire of one usb cable to the blackwire of other usb cable and do the same for red wire .

connect these wire as u have connected in ur pic and try

remember this way voltage(V) remains same but the current increases(A):)

Hi,
After reading this thread I tried to power my Airtel modem 110BX with my laptop useb.
I got I got USB to DC poer cable from ebay but dc pin is not compatible with modem socket. Got male / Female DV connector fro SP road bangalore and now connected to Modem and other end is connected to USB port of my laptop.
BBBBBUUT.....my modem is not powered on. it is not getting power. Why?
I checked with small bulb...it is getting on. why not Modem. Can anybody help me.

Hey buddy are you sure that your USB ports will not get damaged?

Because if any device tries to sink more current than being supplied it could damage the port

let me renew this thread with a query ... :)

is it not possible to remove / bypass rectifier section in the modem ...

suggestions please :)

Eh good to see my thread opening up..

I tried with few cables but could not do proper soldering.

Is there anyone who can make such cable for Airtel 220BX modem & sale here or Ebay.in ?

I will purchase it :)

Bump!

This is the (cheapest) solution to all your power cut problems:

bprfb.jpg

I NEED this cable. I searched a lot (on ebay US and ebay UK) but there seem to be different kinds of cables (type M, type N, etc.)
Can someone please search where one can buy such a cable? Which is the right type of cable for an ADSL modem?

Inputs required!

@iChaitanya
I forgot updating this thread. I met Airtel guy who comes for repair. They have cables which takes power from laptop/desktop USB port & runs modem. I saw demo & took 3 of it. Its too tough to get in outside market as they are not widely used.

Per cable = 150 Rs

You can talk to your airtel person who comes for repair & grab it. No need for shipping from US & UK etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back