Screeching noise from washing machine

Ssreek

Adept
Lately, I have been noticing this screeching kind of noise from the washing machine.
It happens for the first few minutes or when the drum is rotating slowly. Doesn't happen when the drum is in rinse/spin cycle.
Any idea what this issue could be? I would like to know a little bit of info to avoid technicians later trying to rip off unsuspecting customers for unnecessary repairs/replacements.

Lately, I have been noticing this screeching kind of noise from the washing machine.
Couldn't hear any screeching sound in your video? Post a longer video and mention time codes where it's happening

Was on bt speaker earlier. With earphones I can hear it now

It happens for the first few minutes or when the drum is rotating slowly. Doesn't happen when the drum is in rinse/spin cycle
Does it happen when water is filling?

Should also happen during the start of the rinse cycles

Last edited:
Couldn't hear any screeching sound in your video? Post a longer video and mention time codes where it's happening

Was on bt speaker earlier. With earphones I can hear it now

Does it happen when water is filling?

Should also happen during the start of the rinse cycles
I extracted the noise and increased the volume here, see if it's helpful to understand...

Doesn't happen during water filling. Happens when a cycle is started and drum rotates slowly, but when drum is spinning fast it doesn't happen.

Are you sure about that.

No water is filling when this noise happens?

What happens if you spin the drum yourself. Can you make it happen?
Yes. It happens when the drum spins only.

I tried to manually spin the drum and it didn't give any sound.

I'll try again with another wash cycle and observe if it is happening during water filling or not.

Yes. It happens when the drum spins only.

I tried to manually spin the drum and it didn't give any sound.

I'll try again with another wash cycle and observe if it is happening during water filling or not.
Next is, try to figure out where the sound is coming from.

Top of the machine or bottom?

Hard to tell so much ambient noise, usually Bearing seals is toast, bearing also needs to be changed.
Not always as this video shows. Trouble is he didn't record the screeching sound. Also it's an LG.

Sammy here is belt driven. I've not found any videos which have this sound so it will take some detective work

Another with a loose screw in the panel

Last edited:
I've put another cycle just now and this is what I've observed.

Initially it fills water, takes a few seconds break and drum rotates slowly for few seconds. When water is filling, it doesn't make any noise. That noise is heard only when the drum rotates slowly (probably to mix the water or something).

Once the drum starts rotating with little more speed, the noise doesn't occur.

Also, the noise seems to be coming from bottom side.

Also, the noise seems to be coming from bottom side.
Get down low and listen where the little door is

It's possible it's coming from the drain pump then.

Why not check if there is anything stuck there.

Try a couple of cotton 95 washes with Vanish. See if the sound goes away is another thing to try

The idea came from the comments of this video

Last edited:
Back