How is MTNL Broadband in Delhi?

plsoft

Adept
I know there have been many discussions regarding the quality of MTNL's broadband service, but since i've many questions i'm starting a new thread.

I live in dwarka (delhi) and the mtnl telephone exchange is around 2km from my place. Rite now i'm with Airtel BB but due to certain reasons i've to shift to MTNL, i'm quite satisfied with Airtel btw. I'm planning to get the 256Kbps Unlimited plan.

So here are my questions:
1. Will i get consistent dwld speed as i'm getting now with airtel?
2. How is their response to complaints, prompt or real slow? Have never dealt with MTNL before.
3. 256Kbps UL plan is for 599, so what will be the final bill amt after adding taxes?

Would like to hear from members who have MTNL TriB connection. Thanks guys.

plsoft said:
I know there have been many discussions regarding the quality of MTNL's broadband service, but since i've many questions i'm starting a new thread.

I live in dwarka (delhi) and the mtnl telephone exchange is around 2km from my place. Rite now i'm with Airtel BB but due to certain reasons i've to shift to MTNL, i'm quite satisfied with Airtel btw. I'm planning to get the 256Kbps Unlimited plan.

So here are my questions:
1. Will i get consistent dwld speed as i'm getting now with airtel?
2. How is their response to complaints, prompt or real slow? Have never dealt with MTNL before.
3. 256Kbps UL plan is for 599, so what will be the final bill amt after adding taxes?

Would like to hear from members who have MTNL TriB connection. Thanks guys.
1- MTNL is great for your general downloading. But for online gaming it sux big time. If you want to game online, stick with Airtel.

2- two kms distance from telephone exchange is fine. Also, because you are going for 256kbps plan, distance should not pose a problem. It's only when you go near 1.5mbps or 2mbps or above that the distance become an important factor.

3- If the plan costs Rs 599 a month expect to pay 599+around 50 rs tax. (If you are getting modem from MTNL, rent is extra).

Basically, MTNL puts broadband charges under Other Charges in your telephone bill. tax is calculated on the total amount of the bill.

4- With MTNL expect to deal with a non-existent customer care. Earlier it was 24/7 phone support but now I think it's 9 to 5 thing. If you call MTL CC @ 1504 at midnight you will be greeted with "you are in queue, your waiting period is *** seconds." The auto reply will keep on repeating it till morning if you care to hold onto your phone till then. :mad:

Though it doesn't matter much because even when it was 24/7, your problem would be looked into only next day.

If you have any serious problems with your connection, best is to talk to your area manager or better walk into your nearest telephone exchange and create a ruckus. Good thing about MTNL is that even top babus are quite easily accessible and usually when they move you can rest easy. :)

5- While connection speed is usually OK, in a month, expect downtime of anything from 6 to 48 hours

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
I agree with the rest but zero downtime. :hap2:

What i wrote about is the worst case scenario. May be I am among very few unlucky chaps to experience downtimes on MTNL. But usually in a month I experience a few downtimes.

Mostly because of poor line strength and server problems at exchange from where I get the connection.

Though I must say that they are not deal breaker for a home connection. And more so when there are virtually no alternatives.

MTNL Delhi is VFM... and great for regular use..

As Morgoth said, it sucks for gaming.. Even Dataone do... both get lots of pings on abroad servers... For Indian servers, they're good...

Thanks guys for the reply, not that bad for a govt undertaking i would say.

morgoth said:
Though it doesn't matter much because even when it was 24/7, your problem would be looked into only next day
Let's say i make a complaint during the day, say 1pm, it'll still be processed the next day?

plsoft said:
Thanks guys for the reply, not that bad for a govt undertaking i would say.
Let's say i make a complaint during the day, say 1pm, it'll still be processed the next day?

nope, I was talking about registering a complaint during night. If you register it during a working day, it will probably be looked into that day itself. but, of course with MTNL there is no such guarantee that your problems will be fixed in so and so hours or days.

Lol it's going to be a totally different exp for me..Applied for it on the 9th, phone connected on the 16th (after 2 reminders), still waiting for them to connect my internet. That's the story so far, so u know i can't tell you the speed at which i'm dwlding :mad: :no:

plsoft said:
Lol it's going to be a totally different exp for me..Applied for it on the 9th, phone connected on the 16th (after 2 reminders), still waiting for them to connect my internet. That's the story so far, so u know i can't tell you the speed at which i'm dwlding :mad: :no:

One week is OK with MTNL. You will get the Inetrnet soon. just call these buggers if they sleep over the matter. If they don't listen call your area manager and then regional manager.

In any case go and pay a visit to you local exchange and meet a few middle-rung people. Get their contacts. It will come handy.

Back