How good is VIT?

i never said that ...its about the institution and the standard of study you can get there .. thats my argument ... i know many people from IIT who are unemployed right now .. not caz they didnt get job .. but caz they just dont want to do it ...
and if you read my previous posts .. i did already say that ... if you cant get through IIT or NIT ... any private college will do as then it depends much on how hard you work ...

but its not about the person we are talking ..its about the institute ... and yes ... you cant compare it to NIT ... that's the truth

and if Im not wrong ... its a deemed uni.

You can compare them. VIT is an institute with good infrastructure and decent placements. I doubt that the standard and quality of education there is poor or completely incomparable with the NITs. The problem is that a large portion of Indian people are way too obsessed with tags like, "IITian", "NITian","VITian" etc. whereas objectively speaking it is always individual capabilities that matter. This obsession also plays into their views about the overall standards of institutes.

I have nothing against people from top tier institutes (or lower tier institutes). In fact, the guy with the best mathematical skills I've ever seen is a student at IIT-Bombay who got a top rank in JEE. That being said, I have also seen people who failed their 12th class who could run circles around many people from top tier institutes in terms of sheer brain power.

It's just this obsession with tags that I wanted to point out.

Bottom line, VIT is good. If you're a good student there, I'm sure your future prospects will be bright (ignoring other factors in life).

If you're worried about placements, you might want to look at the placement data from both institutes. Other factors would also come into play like finances, how good you are individually as a student etc. when you choose a college. I think the overall placements at the NITs would definitely be better.

The other thing is that foreign placements at govt. colleges are usually a lot better than in private institutes. But to bag these placements you have to be really good.

You may want to check this out: http://engg.entrancecorner.com/disc...3-placements-2012-13-at-nits-dtu-vit-etc.html

This is turning into a decent discussion.

Anyways, my intermediate results(ISC Board) are out and I have scored 89.4 % (science stream).

I wanted to know how good St. Xavier's Kolkata is for B.Sc. in Computer Science ? ...Do I stand any chance of admission with my percentage ?

I dont know much about VIT but i do know some pretty average students who got addmission in VIT.....a college is only as good as its students and VIT is never the first choice of good rankers.....only students who got BAD rank in JEE go there.....
as for st xaviers college yes you have very good chance provided you got good marks in maths.....st xavier conducts its own exam for admission to cs degree...if u do good in that then you will certainly get addmission.....st xaviers is very good in cs but remember a btech degree in cse can get u very good job but just Bsc in cs is not enough.....you have to get msc

a college is only as good as its students

Maybe the branding the degree provides. For reasonably motivated students, the education that one can acquire is not that different. There might be more a few more doors open at an IIT due to the branding but overall, during the undergraduate program, not a lot of difference in the actual learning that happens.

I dont know much about VIT but i do know some pretty average students who got addmission in VIT.....a college is only as good as its students and VIT is never the first choice of good rankers.....only students who got BAD rank in JEE go there.....
as for st xaviers college yes you have very good chance provided you got good marks in maths.....st xavier conducts its own exam for admission to cs degree...if u do good in that then you will certainly get addmission.....st xaviers is very good in cs but remember a btech degree in cse can get u very good job but just Bsc in cs is not enough.....you have to get msc

1.Yes, I have 97 in maths .
2.According to their website entrance tests are only for mathematics major ,rest will be decided by merit of qualifying examination .

3. I am not job hungry ...I would be glad to get aM.Sc. :)

yeah i checked it out now ...... this year everything has changed....earlier cs had its own entrance test

How good is BITS Mesra ?

They have got an integrated M.Sc. scheme in Mathematics & Computing for 10+2 students with a choice of leaving after completion of 3 years with a B.Sc. degree.

Selection is based on 12th Merit.

Ok random comment anybody whoever is in West Bengal and is planning to join college please go for brand name. No WB regional colleges sorry, go for the biggies if you have the option you won't regret it later its a different league altogether.

Vit is definitely NOT some private college coz of lots of reasons!! D facilities, infrastructure, faculty are amazing!! My cousin is doing Cse der!! More dan al dis d system in vit is too good!! U can choose ur own professors, d optional subjects u wanna study and even d timings! Also d honours degree u get in bits is available here! U hav to opt for dat and u wil come out will come out with a b tech honours degree which does wonders to ur placements!

And because of this new jee main system against which even cases r going on ur jee main marks r totally useless!! U oly need board marks! Ppl wid 100 marks in jee main r getting nit trichy through home state quota where as last year atleast 160 was needed in aieee to get even a metallurgy seat! So d standard of nits wil go down drastically!! Don't see how it is now!! See 4 years down d line and u wil be happy u chose vit over just a nit tag which won't be as valuable as it is now!!

Vit is definitely NOT some private college coz of lots of reasons!! D facilities, infrastructure, faculty are amazing!! My cousin is doing Cse der!! More dan al dis d system in vit is too good!! U can choose ur own professors, d optional subjects u wanna study and even d timings! Also d honours degree u get in bits is available here! U hav to opt for dat and u wil come out will come out with a b tech honours degree which does wonders to ur placements!

And because of this new jee main system against which even cases r going on ur jee main marks r totally useless!! U oly need board marks! Ppl wid 100 marks in jee main r getting nit trichy through home state quota where as last year atleast 160 was needed in aieee to get even a metallurgy seat! So d standard of nits wil go down drastically!! Don't see how it is now!! See 4 years down d line and u wil be happy u chose vit over just a nit tag which won't be as valuable as it is now!!

VIT is definitely NOT just some private college (because of a lot of reasons). The facilities, infrastructure and faculty are amazing. My cousin is in the CSE program there.More than all this, the system in VIT is very good. You can choose your own professors, optional subjects you want to study and even the class timings. Also, the BITS honours degree is available here.You have to opt for it and you will graduate with a B.Tech Honours which does wonders to your placements.

And because of this new JEE main system (against which there are even a few lawsuits), your JEE main marks are totally useless. You only need board marks. Students with 100 marks in JEE main are getting NIT Trichy through home state quota whereas last year, at least a rank of 160 was needed in AIEEE to get a metallurgy seat. So the standard of NITs will go down drastically. Don't just consider the situation now, look 4 years down the line and you will be happy you chose VIT over just a NIT tag which won't be as valuable as it is now.

PS: Brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood cryptanalysis service.
PPS : Even Alan Turing wouldn't have had this much trouble with the Enigma machine.
PPPS: Looking at the bolded, I am not sure whether the poster is studying there or his cousin is or both are. Either way, it looks like some of those viral reviews one sees on Amazon.

its my cousin who studies there! i have no clue what u r trying to say! i am just telling vit is way better than almost all the private engineering colleges in india and quoting the reasons why! you are telling that nit tag has a very high value now but just imagine 4 years down the line with this system of admission continuing! the students already there are worried that this might affect their placements too!! Top companies go to iits and nits because that is where the best students in india are! but is that the case now? there are lots of students who hav got 200 and above but not getting nits because of their boards! moreover private colleges like vit prepare you for the outer world! they send you on internships, boost your self confidence, give lots of oppurtunities to showcase your talents and make you a complete person which is what companies look for![DOUBLEPOST=1373472915][/DOUBLEPOST]and sorry i dint know we couldnt use sms lingo here!

its my cousin who studies there! i have no clue what u r trying to say! i am just telling vit is way better than almost all the private engineering colleges in india and quoting the reasons why! you are telling that nit tag has a very high value now but just imagine 4 years down the line with this system of admission continuing! the students already there are worried that this might affect their placements too!! Top companies go to iits and nits because that is where the best students in india are! but is that the case now? there are lots of students who hav got 200 and above but not getting nits because of their boards! moreover private colleges like vit prepare you for the outer world! they send you on internships, boost your self confidence, give lots of oppurtunities to showcase your talents and make you a complete person which is what companies look for![DOUBLEPOST=1373472915][/DOUBLEPOST]and sorry i dint know we couldnt use sms lingo here!

While I do agree that things might change in the student body due to changes in the intake criteria, the benefits of a good NIT are still important. Opinion on the college is not going to change for a while. Recommendations/references from long standing professors usually holds a lot of weight. The government colleges are usually well networked with government organisations. As for the whole "preparing you for the outer world" experiences you mentioned, all the NITs and IITs do that as well.

I am not saying VIT is a bad college. I have met some VIT students at technical festivals at my college and they had very impressive work on display. I just think that, at this time, the NIT brand still carries some weight.

Ya top courses in top nits will have their say!! But certain comments like vit is garbage when compared to nits r just too much!! U will have to agree with me that vit is a really good competitor for most of the nits and in fact better than the new ones!! The coaching in nit trichy sucks!! These are the exact words a student from nitt who is going to second year now told me!! If trichy is like that imagine the other nits! People are just going by the blind notion that just a nit tag us enough to take you places! It's not true! You too can ask people in top nits and find out what they say!!

BIT is good, at least they have system that goes back ages. I've heard that their Hyd campus is picking up, as many Southie profs. have moved there from other places like Pilani.

Post few years VIT doing good, even comparing to IIT's. After IISc,IIT Delhi, Bombay. VIT Best in research.(5th place in research ). Continuously 2 years VIT secured 8th rank in India today mag. After IIT's,BITS. Only University is VIT. None of indian universities meet VIT infrastructure. Awesome environment. SRM also like VIT but SRM lacks in research. So please don't compare the NIT to VIT. Because VIT doing great.

Back