Monitors High DPI Monitor for work

greenhorn

Patron
Hi all
I had bought a Samsung odyssey G4 25inch FHD as an attempt at balancing my work and gaming requirement, and while it ticked all my gaming needs, it doesn't fit my work stuff at all. text looks atrocious, real estate in terms of pixel count is the same as my 13 inch laptop.
So now I am chasing high DPI count. Looks like a 24" 4K monitor would be ideal, but can't find anything.
only 27" ones seem to be available.
Features needed - Eye care features - I have to do a lot of work at night
Good vibrant, natural looking colors. good rich blacks, high viewing angles.

60Hz is enough - my samsung G4 goes all the way up to 240. Same for freesync/gsync. couple of HDMI and a displayport is fine. a VGA input would be nice, but not necessary.
Having already blown 18K on the G4, dont have a lot of cash lying around, ideally would like to limit to 22K

Any suggestions?

I have the LG 27UL550, and I don't like it very much. 4K YouTube and media / games look great! But when it comes to text work, the clarity is a bit lacking somehow, despite the good pixel density. There is a sharpness control slider in the monitor, and despite trying various settings and pairing it with the Windows ClearType tuner, nothing seems to give me a good result. Still, I am using it since I spent a fair bit on it. I find setting the windows scaling to 200% (as opposed to the 'recommended' 150%) helps a bit.

I am holding out till the price and desktop performance of 4K OLED becomes acceptable, then will swap to that. It may take a few years, though.

The best text clarity I've ever experienced was on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. Unfortunately that machine's battery bloated and I broke the screen when trying to open it myself :(
Just look at the specs!
Screen: 12.3” PixelSense™ Display
Resolution: 2736 x 1824 (267 PPI)
Aspect Ratio: 3:2

4k on a 24 inch might be a bit overkill. You'll probably end up scaling it a lot. For 24 inch, get QHD. There are a bunch of 27" 4k displays in the market. See whatever fits your budget. I highly recommend get it with a USB C for display and power delivery.

Do check the Benq PD line of monitors. They come in 25, 27 and 32inch sizes, from FHD to 4k. They're mainly for color accurate work, so its a bit more expensive. But they're beautiful displays with wonderful rendering of text.

Has Eyecare. Only 60hz though.

I vehemently disagree with you with all the force of a blazing sun. Yes, you scale it, but after scaling text looks super crisp.
I still regret getting 4K on a 27 inch, and wish I had a 22 or 24 inch option at a reasonable price.
I mean sure, if you want to scale it 2x. I personally would get more annoyed by everything zoomed in.
Why do you regret your decision though? 27" with 4k is perfect. You get the same crispness without scailing it.

The other thing that keeps me from going for a 27 inch is that since i have very little space in my room, i sit just a foot or so away from the screen. I find even my 25 inch screen overwhelming, and have to turn my head to see it all.

Back