[HELP] Unable to connect 1 PC to another thru LAN cable

raksrules

Elite
I have a desktop machine and a toshiba laptop. The desktop machine has Windows XP while the toshiba lappy has Vista home premium OS.
I am not able to connect the two directly using the LAN cable that i have. The desktop is saying "Connected at 100 Mbps" but the Vista machine says "Limited or No Connectivity". I dont think there is any problem with the LAN card on my laptop because i was able to use broadband connection by connecting the modem to the lappy.
How can i resolve this. I tried pinging them from one another but the request timed out always.

Just to make sure...

are you using the right cable...it should be a Cross and not a Straight cable.

Also, Vista is known to have certain Firewall issues that hassle up a LAN connection. Try disabling the Firewall on the Vista and connect again.

assign some ip in both pcs, eg: keep 1.1.1.1 in ur desktop and 1.1.1.2 in ur lappy then both should connect, use some software like hfs to transfer files

i suppose i have a cross cable. I am sure about this because before this lappy i used this windows XP m/c to connect to my old desktop machine which had a d-link lan card and win 98 OS.

Try assigning IPs to both machines...

If still having problem...delete the current Workgroup from both machine and start afresh...

you might be having problem with the Vista firewall..as far as I can guess...

i think you have a straight cable instead of teh crossover cable. You need a crossover cable to connect two pcs in a lan.

also, make sure your firewall is not blocking the connections... xp wont be a problem but with vista there is a chance of it..

also if you want to share internet connection, you can use ccproxy.

regards
neo

Back