Help me Build my Home Server

kuld33p

Disciple
Friends

I have a PC that I use as download rig and HTPC. I am in process of building a Home Server and need your suggestions. So basically in the end I want 2 PCs. 1 would act like HTPC and other would be Home Server.

I am looking to spend minimum amount possible and get the best of the both worlds. In other words I am looking to use existing hardware to build Home Server and purchase remaining extra parts for HTPC or vice versa.

This is what I have already.

CPU - AMD Phenom 9850 BE

MOBO - ASUS M3A78-EM

RAM - 2 x 2GB DDR2

CABINET - Cooler Master Elite (330 or 310 not sure)

PSU - Came with Cabinet (I guess its 450W)

HDD - 2 x 1TB and 2 x 320GB 1 x 500GB

Purpose of 2 PCs.

Home Server

Stream movies, music, photos over the network.

Download Rig 24x7x365

File Server

Backup Server

HTPC

Watch Full HD Movies on my 42" Plasma over the network via XBMC or Media Center.

Normal web surfing.

Thinking of a small form factor, cool and quite HTPC..

Things I need to complete my 2 PCs

Home Server

CPU - AMD Phenom 9850 BE

Mobo - Need Suggestions.Not sure whether to use existing or new one.

RAM - Need Suggestions. may be used if I get a mobo for DDR2

Cabinet - I would be using CM Elite as of now.

PSU - Need Suggestions. I need to Buy

HTPC

CPU - Need Suggestions

MOBO - Need Suggestions (In case you guys suggest for a new mobo then I would have to keep my existing ASUS Mobo and use that for my HTPC)

RAM - I can use old RAMs if I go for a new Mobo for Home Server.

Cabinet- I would need to buy a new cabinet.

PSU - Would use existing Cooler Master PSU.

HDD - Would use one of the existing HDDs

If you need more info please let me know.

TOO Confusing, basically you need a brand new rig for 15k w/o monitor and the kb+mouse+accessories right ?

CtrlA+Del+Rewrite will solve it , make it clear for others to pitch their suggestions in, else it will be difficult.

Whatever you do get a decent PSU. Nothing less than a VX450.

Since you're planning to run the rig 24X7 in Delhi's heat & power fluctuations I'd suggest a corsair/Seasonic(OEM) PSU with > 5yrs warranty(Gold series) but it wont come in your budget :(.

This will be the most important of your rig and your rig's life as well as health depends on it.

Hence try for VX450 and VX550. Recently corsair had changed some of it's previous PSU's(vx450&vx550). So before buying check if old good one or not, you can tell that just by looking at the rear of the SMPS(different capacitor arrangement). GO here for more info->

Regarding the cabinet centurion 590 is the cheapest one with 9 exposed bays. You can do a recce of all the local shops and have a look at the various desi cabinets I'm sure you'll find one(lookout for frontech cabbies)that fits your requirements.

The rest of your rig looks fine, when you get a cabby make sure it has good air circulation throughout(considering that you'll be installing 10 HDD'S). If it does not have enough space for fans covering all the HDDs MOD it or get a good cabinet.

l33t said:
TOO Confusing, basically you need a brand new rig for 15k w/o monitor and the kb+mouse+accessories right ?

CtrlA+Del+Rewrite will solve it , make it clear for others to pitch their suggestions in, else it will be difficult, Is this what you need ? ...

Hope its clear now. I don't exactly need a new rig. I am looking to use existing hardware and come up with 2 solutions. Please check the first thread for detailed information.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

aman.pitbull said:
Whatever you do get a decent PSU. Nothing less than a VX450.
Since you're planning to run the rig 24X7 in Delhi's heat & power fluctuations I'd suggest a corsair/Seasonic(OEM) PSU with > 5yrs warranty(Gold series) but it wont come in your budget :(.

This will be the most important of your rig and your rig's life as well as health depends on it.
Hence try for VX450 and VX550. Recently corsair had changed some of it's previous PSU's(vx450&vx550). So before buying check if old good one or not, you can tell that just by looking at the rear of the SMPS(different capacitor arrangement). GO here for more info->

Regarding the cabinet centurion 590 is the cheapest one with 9 exposed bays. You can do a recce of all the local shops and have a look at the various desi cabinets I'm sure you'll find one(lookout for frontech cabbies)that fits your requirements.
The rest of your rig looks fine, when you get a cabby make sure it has good air circulation throughout(considering that you'll be installing 10 HDD'S). If it does not have enough space for fans covering all the HDDs MOD it or get a good cabinet.
Well thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely looking for a good PSU. In the PSU buying guide someone suggested that I get TX 650. Not sure whether to go for that now after reading that link you posted. read the first thread again and you might get some more clarity.. :p

thanks

Back