[Help a Noob] Will this router work ??(pic attached)

raksrules

Elite
We have a single internet connection at our home here and have that DSL modem similar the ones provided by MTNL folks. Now me and my roomie both want to access this single net connection on our laptops using Wifi. I am quiet a noob when it comes to wifi and its routers. So went to a nearby supermarket and saw one of these (it was the cheapest one available, dlink was costly). I have attached the pic of this router. Its is of Belkin brand. Will this solve our purpose ?

I dont require a feature rich router only that we should be able to use the internet wirelessly and most importantly the speed should not be affected.

We are suppose to have a 2Mbps connection at our place. Will this wifi thing affect the speed ??

How do i setup this thing to work with our laptops? I am used to plugging in the LAN cable always and this (wifi) is a first for me.

How do i ensure that my wifi network is not being used by anyone else? I mean how do we make this n/w secure ?

Lastly if this router cannot do the job what other options do i have ? Suggest a cheap one.

PS: My laptop is a Toshiba Portege M500 and my roomie's is Dell XPS

PS: Sorry for attaching image, imageshack etc all blocked in office

1. Plug the ethernet from your modem to the router.

2. Find your router in the list given in the pdf > List of Default IP and Passwords

3. enter the default gateway in your browser and hit enter, you will then be prompted to enter user name and password(refer to the manuals you got or the pdf i gave)

4. Once the router config page comes up, there are number of things we can do.

5. Click on Security (under Wireless) to setup your Secure wireless network.

(WEP2 - AES/TKIP authentication is preferred)

BelkinHome.gif

6. Report back with what you got :gap:

The solution provided above is PERFECT! Just plug the DSL line coming from your POTS splitter into your Belkin unit and pwoer it on. Type 192.168.1.1 in your browser. USername and password are both 'admin'.

Follow the instructions and set up a wifi network from your browser control page for your Belkin. Set a password (WPA-Personal) and you are good to go.

One more thing...i had a talk with one of the guys here and he said that this router is far expensive. There is another brand called TP Link. Anybody heard about it ? How is it ? He is telling he bought one for 130 RMB (130 x 7.5 Rs) from a market here after bargain.

If you havent bought that Belkin router, you might as well consider Buffalo W125 or Linksys models. I ve heard belkins arent so good.

so how much do they cost. I have not bought the router yet. will be buying this coming weekend. but need to do my R&D before i go to that electronics market. also if i can get a rough estimate price then i can bargain with those chinki sellers. Moreover this router we need to buy for around six month period only, not think about much long term as of now. Additional features is not very much that we need, we simply want to share the same internet between us.

Ok.good

So anyone of these routers which is not that big in size, i mean design is compact. This is because it will be easy for me to carry back when i return

The Belkin router (base model) mentioned by the OP is decent, if not great.

I've been using it and the only con I can think of is that it doesn't have that much range and maybe third-party-firmware-availability (Doesn't bother me :p).

Oh and the Belkin router costs ~1.6k here.

|Anish| said:
so did you start off with the wifi thingy yet ?

Nah...will be going to the electronics market here to buy a cheap (comparatively) tp-link wifi router. But now one more roadblock has come. Yesterday i went home to check if the internet has started working or not. The broker had given me the user id and pass and said that internet has started working.

I have a DSL modem of alcatel brand (similar to DLINK 502 types, but small) which has two ports behind, one for the telephone line to go in and another for the LAN cable.

Now the thing is that the telephone line is not working (i pick up the phone and there is no dial tone, even the IN USE light does not blink, it used to work before but we had requested the broker to remove it), but they said that they have closed the telephone line but internet will still work. Now this was confusing. :huh:

So at home i just unplugged one of the telephone lines and put that wire in modem and whoa the DSL light on the modem came ON. Connected the ethernet cable in modem and then to computer and yes the ethernet light also came on. So i thought everything is working. But the DSL light was not blinking, it was just steady. still tried google and it did not work. Tried 192.168.1.1 and that too did not work.

Tried ipconfig /release and /renew and it assigned some10.0.0.1 IP address.

Can we login into the modem even if the DSL thing does not work or is not connected ??

I have talked with broker and she will send her colleague to see how the same can be worked upon. In worst case we will need to call the China Telecom guys to fix this. In that case i will first buy the router and then call those guys so that they also setup the wifi router. In any case they are going to take 100 RMB for that :mad:

Edit: Just found from the link given by Anish that the modem login for the alcatel speed touch modem that i have is 10.0.0.138 So guys in the above process am in doing anything wrong ? Or is it because i have not logged in into the modem and set the user id and password, it is not working.

I mean i have a MTNL triband connection at home in Mumbai and the user id (2898XXXX@a) and password(CA Number) are already fed into the modem. If i do the same (provided i successfully login into the modem), will it start working ?

DSL light ON means that i can use it to surf the net right ??

Are you able to make calls and receive them as well ?

If yes, you should be able to connect to internet without any hassle and without the wifi router.

the modem login for the alcatel speed touch modem that i have is 10.0.0.138 So guys in the above process am in doing anything wrong ? Or is it because i have not logged in into the modem and set the user id and password, it is not working.

Usually, you get that when you do ipconfig /all, its the default gateway which turns out to be url for the console page. What exactly is not working? Do you see any console page when you type that ip in the browser?

actually i was trying 192.168.1.1 to login to the modem and no page was coming but after checking that PDF i came to know that it is a different ip for modem. So i am going to try that today.

As far as telephone is concerned, no dial tone and no calls can be made using that. I know that sounds weird but thats true. Also on enquiring with a couple of guys here they say that probably there is a different line for the DSL. I need to check all the plus points in home and see if things are working or not. I will update you guys tomorrow. Just hope that i am able to get connected. Watching these Chinese channels is torture :)

Our first issue is that we need to sort out your basic internet issue before shifting to Wireless. Once that is working, It will be a childs play to fix the wireless connection.

thats what i am trying to get sorted now. First if the net connection is working fine thru the LAN cable then i will move on the wireless thing. Just crossing my fingers to get this thing work tonight.

The modem is Alcatel speedtouch home plus 511e having three lights (DSL, Power and Ethernet). Yesterday the broker sent a guy (his colleague, not a professional) to check the connection but in vain. On top of it he did not know english at all. So finally we will be calling the China Telecom guys this saturday. First will be getting the wifi router in morning on saturday and then call them so they also setup the router. Lage haath dono kaam karva dete hain.

I was also now able to successfully login to the modem using 10.0.0.138 but then came another problem, the entire interface was in Chinese :mad:

But that broker's colleague somehow managed to reach a point where we can select the language and i changed it back to english. But still am not able to figure out the connection. So No net till weekend.

Missing IPL streams :mad:

But one thing i found in one of the rooms is there is a ethernet port in one of the walls. I put the LAN cable and connected to the other end to laptop but no light came on laptop side. Seems it is just a dead port. I tried ipconfig /release /renew but that did not work at all.

So here's an update for all those who have been following this thread and especially Anish thanks for helping me out :)

So today morning me and my roomie went to the BIG electronics mall here in Shanghai and then checked out the wifi routers. We were told that TP Link ones are cheap. So we checked and picked up this (TP LInk WR340g) FOR 125 RMB (x 7.5 Rs approx). So first tell me, was i robbed or i paid the right price ?:huh:

They started with 180 types and then afterd doing R&D in around 6 shops we felt that no one was coming below 125 RMB :mad: , so took it.

Came home, the china telecom guy was yet to come so just to check the connection between lappy and router connected the same and whoa it worked. It was totally new experience for me to use wifi :ashamed:

After that when i was searching for the list of networks, i saw that mine is unsecured and did not know how to secure:huh:

So searched the net and found that way of that WPA PSK thing. But now the biggest problem came. I keyed in 192.168.1.1 for router and whoa everything in Chinese :mad: I could not find the language option (and later realized there werent any). The china telecom guy also tried and said (using sign language) that it is not possible to set language to English.

So first googled for tips to change language for this router and voila i got a solution of firmware upgrade. Downloaded a 1.5 Mb file and they had given on how to upgrade fw for these china purchased routers. They had said that after FW upgrade the language wud change and yes i did those steps and it worked. :hap2:

Now i setup the WPA FSK thing and then secured my n/w:hap2:

(Lagta hai wifi ke baare mein jaldi seekh jaaonga :rofl: )

Bas then what...connected and got bad speeds..speed tests coming to less than 200 kbps. I was like WTF :mad:

The telecom wala guy told some stupid reason and told that monday se it will be fine. Using that wifi only now to post this message:)

Offtopic: I also bought a webcam (Logitech QuickCam E 1100) for 90 RMB. Correct price or more ??:huh:

Back