PC Peripherals Have I bricked my archer C7 ?

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Right
So today I was able to flash open wrt on my archer c7 v2
All went well
But I wasn't able to configure it so decided to flash back to stock...
Had the original firmware handy and flashed it via web interface of openWRT page..
It jsur didn't finish for 10.min

So i just went ahead and pushed the reset button at back and the router just wouldn't connect to pc anumore via lan.

It shows in the network area on pc for a second and then just va wishes and keeps doing that...

Tried TFTP method but as the connection isn't stable, the router just keeps connecting and disconnecting via lan port it's lights as well sort of coming and going.. (the power and online lights are solid but other keeps coming and going)

Does it mean it's bricked??? Coz beyond TFTP there is nothing that can be done to revive it if i am right)

Any insight guys???

Well if you can then attach a JTAG and it should be clear. Other than that in the TFTP method is the device pulling the image from your TFTP server ? And when flashing back the original firmware did you read if you have to strip the boot loader off the blob ?

I don't have Jtag and I didn't get any warnings but when i added the file to be flashed but I donno there were some points over there which I didn't really try reading...

Thanks mate, but this will be too too much for me to be honest.
Is there no way that the router can show /remain connected with the pc for the time TFTP can flash...

Well last time I faced something similar, it was a problem with the header, which I had a look at the logs using JTAG, and did something like below in order to trick the device to accept the firmware over TFTP. If you can record a session of the TFTP in action, I might be able to hint at the problem.

Create compatible firmware for Ziggo C7​

As stated above, “Ziggo Wifibooster C7” is a rebranded v2. You can find instructions on how to create a compatible firmware for flashing below.
  1. download stock TP-Link firmware from https://www.tp-link.com/nl/support/download/archer-c7/v2/#Firmware
  2. with a hex editor replace 0x00000000 with 0x4E4C0001 at offset 0x4B
  3. download and build mktplinkfw (see code block below)
  4. run ./mktplinkfw -i firmware.bin
  5. the MD5 checksum will be displayed as wrong; make sure your hardware ID is 0xc7000002 otherwise it means you have downloaded the wrong firmware
  6. open again the firmware.bin file with your hex editor and replace the bytes from 0x4C to 0x5B with the expected checksum as shown by mktplinkfw
  7. verify that checksum is now correct with mktplinkfw
  8. your firmware is now ready to be uploaded via web UI
Original instructions in Dutch can be found here: described here

Well last time I faced something similar, it was a problem with the header, which I had a look at the logs using JTAG, and did something like below in order to trick the device to accept the firmware over TFTP. If you can record a session of the TFTP in action, I might be able to hint at the problem.
Well the issue is when I am connecting the router with the pc via lan, it shows in network area for a couple of seconds and then poof, comes back afyer another few seconds just for 2 seconds again and poof.

So its resetting or restarting itself hjece not connecting

Its recommend to never flash a stock firmware on a openwrt running router via the sysupgrade option, cause it will brick it. reference
You have to go through the tftp route, its advisable to use a linux system.
If that fails, try the jtag route, buy the necessary hardware required for that and follow the guide i referenced above.
Otherwise its a paperweight now. I hope that was not your primary router.

Its recommend to never flash a stock firmware on a openwrt running router via the sysupgrade option, cause it will brick it. reference
You have to go through the tftp route, its advisable to use a linux system.
If that fails, try the jtag route, buy the necessary hardware required for that and follow the guide i referenced above.
Otherwise its a paperweight now. I hope that was not your primary router.
I always keep 2 routers handy if my main goes bad, I had promptly got my tl mr3620 configured and got the Mac updated to iso, so I do t have issues there...
The C7 was purchased only for the purpose of extra free speed I was offered.. As it has Gigabit ports... Otherwise i am facing no issues with my 3620 as since past 3 months my speed was as it is 100mbps

TFTP isn't an option as the router just doesn't connect to the pc and keeps disconnecting... I don't have have any other expertise in this regard

Well the issue is when I am connecting the router with the pc via lan, it shows in network area for a couple of seconds and then poof, comes back afyer another few seconds just for 2 seconds again and poof.

So its resetting or restarting itself hjece not connecting
just confirming, you are using the static IP(192.168.0.66, as I remember) on the PC as recommended, and then connecting the router and turning it on while pressing the RESET button ?

just confirming, you are using the static IP(192.168.0.66, as I remember) on the PC as recommended, and then connecting the router and turning it on while pressing the RESET button ?
I thought I have to connect the router and then chnage ip..
I ll try again tomorrow but the thing is the router keeps shuttling as its lights apart from power and another one, all the rest come on and then go off and then again they come on and go off,
When they come on the router is connected to pc and within a second they go off and router is disconnected...

I thought I have to connect the router and then chnage ip..
I ll try again tomorrow but the thing is the router keeps shuttling as its lights apart from power and another one, all the rest come on and then go off and then again they come on and go off,
When they come on the router is connected to pc and within a second they go off and router is disconnected...
As far as I remember the subroutine there should look for the TFTP file and if not found should try to reset the router and that should look like something you are explaining. So effectively it’s stuck in that loop.

As far as I remember the subroutine there should look for the TFTP file and if not found should try to reset the router and that should look like something you are explaining. So effectively it’s stuck in that loop.
Many thanks bro
I was just not getting time to hook it up again but this is reassuring..
I have already ordered a c80 for my use as the same day I rubued the C7 my isp as a good will gesture increased my internet speed from 100 to 150Mbps so to make use of that MR3620 is useless...

Back