Gorgeous new SE P1

should be 30k atleast.

& doesnt look that great to me for some reason. its more like the SE M series & less like the P series.

^^Totally agree..its more like the m600 and the w950 and doesnt deserve to be the 'P' successor...a lot of ppl in SE forums also say tht the real successor to P990i wud come next year..this one isnt the worthy successor to it..;)

Private Ryan said:
^^Totally agree..its more like the m600 and the w950 and doesnt deserve to be the 'P' successor...a lot of ppl in SE forums also say tht the real successor to P990i wud come next year..this one isnt the worthy successor to it..;)

I don't think its a successor or intended as such. Its a parallel product. And I'm using the P990i and the W950i + M600 right now, if the P1 is like the M600 I don't think SE'd be stupid enough to market as a successor, replacement from the bulk, maybe :p

Actually i read it in a review site tht the M series by SE has been a mixed bag...the m600 wasnt a market success at all...and though the P1i is truly an m600 upgrade, the company chose to put it under their much successful P-series umbrella...tht way, it wud inherit the legacy of the P series, something tht'll give it a jumpstart in the market...clever marketing by SE, but geeks around the world know the difference..:p So it may be easy to fool a casual user to think tht he bought the latest 'P' series phone, but in reality, the real successor to the P990i is still some time away..;)

TechHead said:
^@rYAN - new fw for the P990i is confirmed.. R7 out in August. Fixes the long email bug and the spacebar in FO mode with R6..

Checked the thread in Developer Sony, eh ? :p Been following it for sometime now. What a stupid decision by SE to have even thought of stopping support for the 990i :S

TechHead said:
^@rYAN - new fw for the P990i is confirmed.. R7 out in August. Fixes the long email bug and the spacebar in FO mode with R6..

thts gr8 news man..:D Finally SE had to bow down..Or it wud have dragged them into ugly legal battles..too many ppl were upset with their decision to stop support for the phone b4 even completing a year in the market..not to forget tht this decision wud have taken away a chunk of their loyal customer base...;) neways..alls well tht ends well...just hope tht R7 fixes any and all bugs if it is going to be the last f/w for p990i..;)

The sad thing is (and no offense to anyone who's bought the P990i) is its a hunk, and not in a good way :p

Used it for a day and the qwerty sucks, functionality zero...I never did get the half assed flap thing right away from the P800. Either you go normal or you go qwerty, the touchscreen could feature on either.

Lastly for a phone bulkier that a WM PDA it loses functionality. Incidentally the keypad on the M600 is better...

Of course I'm comparing its PDA features to my jasjar which is an unfair comparison to begin with, but then that's how SE positions the P series ;)

vandal said:
I never did get the half assed flap thing right away from the P800. Either you go normal or you go qwerty, the touchscreen could feature on either.

Well, even i'm not a fan of the flap thingy...but i'm happy tht atleast SE provided a way to remove it....i took it off within 5 days of purchase..:p Now, i'm completely happy the way it performs without the flap..;)

Lastly for a phone bulkier that a WM PDA it loses functionality. Incidentally the keypad on the M600 is better...
Actually bulk is relative...some like it, some dont..:p I belong to the former category..:p
As for the keypad of M600, i think, u are the first person i've come across who has found it to be better....:p Havin 2 alphabets per button along with the numbers is sure going to get congested..:p A lot of ppl have complained about the same in forums, especially those with fatter fingers...further, SE's decision to use the same keypad design in the P1i has be criticized by a lot of review sites...

@ Vandal - I don't know which phones you use, who owns them, and what you do with them, but for god's sake don't come here and tell us what's good about *your* jasjar and what sucks about the 990i, were NOT kids, we understand (and many of the 990i users, a LOT better than you).

Anish said:
@ Vandal - I don't know which phones you use, who owns them, and what you do with them, but for god's sake don't come here and tell us what's good about *your* jasjar and what sucks about the 990i, were NOT kids, we understand (and many of the 990i users, a LOT better than you).

Anish - the jasjar is owned by me, recall bought from viking here on TE :D
When I review stuff I mention that I "reviewed" them. We've been through the "I own this" thing before man...Pointless.

@ At under 18 you're still very much a kid I assure you :p

Sufficient reason to doubt both your statements...
So you bought the phone, so you like it, cool, good for you...I used to like many things when I was in school, we all grow up some sooner, some later...

^^^ - yeah the flap sucks, but its removable, thanks for pointing that out. What I liked was the bright blue backlight on the P990i QWERTY. I would like the phone to be slimmer (discounting the number pad flap) its still a little tight for jeans and all.
@ the kaypad, its something one gets used to. A guy @ my office bought an M600, he used the P990i for 2-3 days and found the tiny keys tough to hit unless using his nails. I haven't used the keypad on the M600i enough to compare but found it decent (the double key thing didn't really worry me), it felt a little like a rocker switch ;)

anyways forget yaar subjective

Back