Storage Solutions Giving up on Jellyfin server, 2nd HDD Failed in 1 year time, what am I doing wrong?

One of my 500G HDD from Hitachi in my DIY NAS (I was in school back then and I don't know how that system lasted for 3 years, given the mistakes I made) from 2012 is still going strong. I am waiting for it to die so that I can replace it with a higher-capacity drive. I am gonna hold a funeral for that guy. 3.5" HDD is gonna cost you less per GB. You will find a few guys selling new HDDs for 1000 less than MRP, get a 4TB one, and use it as normal storage, you should be good.

One of my 500G HDD from Hitachi in my DIY NAS (I was in school back then and I don't know how that system lasted for 3 years, given the mistakes I made) from 2012 is still going strong. I am waiting for it to die so that I can replace it with a higher-capacity drive. I am gonna hold a funeral for that guy. 3.5" HDD is gonna cost you less per GB. You will find a few guys selling new HDDs for 1000 less than MRP, get a 4TB one, and use it as normal storage, you should be good.
Companies don't make products like that anymore whether it is pc components, electronic products or typical home appliances.

Buy enterprise drives.

I understand the solution is to get proper 3.5" regular HDD or enterprise. I have realized I probably don't need all this as with the 128GB MicroSD Card (already have so did not buy specially) and am now downloading limited stuff that I intend to watch and then delete it promptly.

I am back online with my server with the same HDD. I did a scan of my HDD with hdscan or some tool that took like 3 Days to complete. It said 0 bad sectors somehow.
Crystal disk info still says "caution". Will continue to use drive until it dies or end of year and then try to rma.

Yeah let's see how long it's gonna last. Remember there are multiple SMART params that can cause crystaldiskinfo to give you a warning apart from bad sectors.

I am back online with my server with the same HDD. I did a scan of my HDD with hdscan or some tool that took like 3 Days to complete. It said 0 bad sectors somehow.
Crystal disk info still says "caution". Will continue to use drive until it dies or end of year and then try to rma.
Post the screenshot of crystaldiskinfo here(you can hide serial no. in crystaldiskinfo by selecting function--hide serial no.).

I have posted in this thread before, It is Same today too.
Keep an eye on current pending sector count raw value of 63. If you are lucky it may stay there for year+ or it may start increasing sharply within few weeks/months which would be a clear indication of hdd dying. In any case don't keep any important data's only copy on this drive.

Keep an eye on current pending sector count raw value of 63. If you are lucky it may stay there for year+ or it may start increasing sharply within few weeks/months which would be a clear indication of hdd dying. In any case don't keep any important data's only copy on this drive.
Yes I will be checking every week or fortnight.

Yes I will be checking every week or fortnight.
Too risky, check every day at least once as this value can suddenly start increasing at the rate of 4-5 errors every few seconds/minute when hdd starts dying. When that happen then immediately start copying the most important data as you would have at max few hours/day before hdd dies completely.

Too risky, check every day at least once as this value can suddenly start increasing at the rate of 4-5 errors every few seconds/minute when hdd starts dying. When that happen then immediately start copying the most important data as you would have at max few hours/day before hdd dies completely.
I don't really care about data as it is all movies and tv shows. Cannot see daily as it is connected to Raspberrypi. I will need to disconnect and use with windows laptop and see this.
If the same value I can get on linux it would be great. Also hdd is now formatted as NTFS so I can easily make it work on windows.

I don't really care about data as it is all movies and tv shows. Cannot see daily as it is connected to Raspberrypi. I will need to disconnect and use with windows laptop and see this.
If the same value I can get on linux it would be great. Also hdd is now formatted as NTFS so I can easily make it work on windows.
You can use linux equivalent smartctl command for R-pi.

You can use linux equivalent smartctl command for R-pi.
Getting this on linux, no clue why it says smart is not available (not sure if it means unsupported too)

IMG_0409.jpeg

One of my WD 4TB drives gives that smart unsupported message too. Tried in both Linux and windows. Asked in reddit years back and was told they (WD) do it for the cheap drives.

Getting this on linux, no clue why it says smart is not available (not sure if it means unsupported too)
Try some other tools from here:

One of my WD 4TB drives gives that smart unsupported message too. Tried in both Linux and windows. Asked in reddit years back and was told they (WD) do it for the cheap drives.
He mentioned it working with windows & crystaldiskinfo so my guess is that crystaldiskinfo dev incl some proprietary WD driver to read SMART info for such drives.

Ok so one more update.

The HDD does work but I don't think I can continue using it. This is because whenever i play something from it, the video will stutter, freeze and such.
Many videos won't even copy to the other Microsd card connected to the Raspberry pi.

So yes until I have seen the stuff I have put in it, I will use it by copying and then initiate RMA.

Back