Gaming PC for 45K [w/o Monitor]

SpeedFever

Disciple
Requirements, by Buying Template format:

Q: What is your budget?
45K max.

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Fujitsu LL3200T [20 inches, 1600 x 900]
Everything else is way too obsolete (~10 years old), and cannot be used [i.e., everything else needs to be bought]

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Fujitsu LL3200T [20 inches, 1600 x 900]

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD Phenom II 1055T [Open to suggestions]
Motherboard - Not sure; any compatible motherboard
GPU - ATI Radeon 6850 (not sure of specific variant); Any other GPU in similar price range
For other things, as well as above mentioned parts, I'm not sure, and open to suggestions

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Final configuration. Needs to last several (~4-5) years.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Delhi - Nehru Place
Not very open to online purchase of hardware

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Browsing
Desktop Processing
Movies+Music

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
None

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Strategy - Civilization 4, 5; Total War series (Empire/Napolean/Shogun)
Racing - NFS series; Formula 1 simulators
RPG - Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion, future installments); Dragon Age series

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1600x900 [I guess...coz its the native resolution. Otherwise, not sure]

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit [Home Premium]

PS: Other stuff i'll need include 1 or 2 TB HDD space + UPS with voltage stabiliser/protector + DVD Burner + Mouse/Keyboard + Decent 2.0 Speakers [No space for subwoofer] + Wifi connection card + CPU case and cooling fans

Processor Intel Core i5 2500 10300

Motherboard MSI H67MA-E35 (B3 Revision) / Asus P8H67 M LE (B3 Revision) 5200/6500

RAM Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 1x4GB 2500

GPU MSI HD6850 Cyclone Power Edition 10200

HDD Seagate 7200.12 1TB 2700

Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2100

PSU Corsair VX450 3500

Keyboard Logitech MMKB 400

Mouse Razer Deathadder 2100

Mousepad Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Omega 500

DVD Writer Samsung / LG / Sony 950

Total 40450/41750

You can buy all the left out components as per your choice... i mean UPS, 2.0 Speakers, Wifi-Dongle, Fans etc

I am not an expert in suggesting UPSs... other TE members may help you to buy a good UPS...

Hades. said:
@DA
can you suggest OP a good UPS? :)
APC is good but then some say it gives a whining sound with VX450(active PFC) :( I am using Numeric and it seems pretty decent.(But thats for a P4 rig + CRT:p) So its best that VX450 owners comment on it!

@OP Go for a higher wattage psu VX550. It will give you nice room for future upgrades, even gfx card upgrades. PSU is a thing that we wont change each and every time during pc upgrade. Get a higher wattage one and it will last 4-5 years easily.

Regarding UPS, APC is a good one. But go for the APC smart series UPS if you opt for a modular psu.

APC 1KVA with a Corsair VX 550 no whine no nothing, I say OP get a APC 800 VA ~ 3400/- OR APC 650 VA ~ 2600/-. Hope this helps.

I wish to inquire if the OP can land a HD 6870 / HD 6950 1GB in his budget + a VX 550 to power all this. The gaming performance gains will be substantial enough to justify the extra dough.

@Alpha

he is gonna game at 1600x900 resolution for which HD6850 PE is more than enough... If he would have mentioned that he is gonna game at Full HD then i would have suggested GTX560 or HD6950... :)

Hades. said:
@Alpha
he is gonna game at 1600x900 resolution for which HD6850 PE is more than enough... If he would have mentioned that he is gonna game at Full HD then i would have suggested GTX560 or HD6950... :)
Okay I use a HD 5770 at that resolution, sorry did not read that :). Thanks Hades and congrats for the swift climb up the ranks.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

DarkAngel said:
Go for a i5 2500+H67 rig. Pwns Thuban when it comes to gaming :)
Question: What gives better performance - investing more money in the CPU+MoBo combo (as you have suggested), or investing more in the GPU (say, upgrading to a 6870/6950, and having a cheaper AMD CPU+compatible MoBo) ?

How much difference does a higher-end GPU of the same generation make, in giving some 'future-proof' (or at least, 'future-resistant') performance to the rig ? As in, will a ATI 6870/6950 allow me to keep my rig usable longer at 1600x900 res., or will future games be simply not handleable by any card of this gen., no matter how high-end, due to them being optimized for newer technologies on newer gen. cards ?

Also, what are the Nvidia options of comparable price and performance, for GPU ?

PS: Is the i5 you've suggested (2500) a Sandybridge processor ? Are they significantly better for gaming ?

Sorry if all this sounds a little noob-ish.

I was almost near your budget(50k with monitor) and trying to figure out the same questions you asked from a week or may be lot more.

My suggestions would be stay on ati for gpu(more performance/price).

i5(2500) is sandy and better at gaming.

At your resolution HD6850 will be enough.

you know i was noob too so, wait for others suggestion.

Hi guys. Thanks for all your suggestions. I got my PC assembled on Sunday. I more or less followed the advice on this thread and the 'April PC Buying Guide' thread. My final configuration is:

Motherboard - MSI H67MA-E35
Processor - Core i5 2400
RAM - Corsair 4GB DDr3 1600Mhz
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB DDR5
HDD - Seagate 1TB
SPMS - Coolermaster 600W
Cabinet - Coolermaster Elite 430
Speakers - Altec Lansing VS2621
UPS - APC 600VA

Plus Logitech wireless keyboard+mouse combo; Netgear WiFi dongle; Sony DVD writer; and Windows 7 Home Premium

Back