Video Full screen ads on Fire TV

gourav

Skilled
Recently on switching on Fire TV, it has started showing an ad on full screen. I feel like Amazon has crossed a line here. Even earlier I was at least able to see a line of apps, but now it's just the Ad on the entire screen.

There's no way to disable it.

I request my fellow fire stick users to contact Amazon customer care and ask them to disable this ad. I've complained twice so far.

If it doesn't change, which it obviously won't, I'll be disposing my fire stick and moving to HTPC. I'd much rather have a slightly poorer experience than converting my TV into a hoarding for Amazon to show ads on.

If something has ads, it means they are not getting enough revenue from it's users or they are simply evil. In Amazon's case they are both. Their ad platform is steadily growing for years and might even have a bigger profit % than AWS. So, customer care will get you nowhere regarding this matter. Have you tried NextDNS or other DNS based adblockers?

If ad blocking doesn't work and you cannot tolerate the ads, you may want to consider getting an Apple TV instead of building an HTPC. It would be a waste of money, electricity and compute, unless you are into torrenting Blu-ray rips (As far as I know, there is no legal way to stream UHD video and HD audio on any PC platforms right now) and play retro games. Apple TV is the only Apple product in my home and my family loves it. It has a much better user experience than any Firestick and probably other Android ones too. FYI: I don't think Apple is a saint here, they are just less evil in this situation.

Even on Amazon Prime Video, they have started to put Video ads at the beginning of each episode in a series if I click 'Play next episode'.

It's almost like the TV and the Firestick you paid for, aren't under your control...

If they could provide the service before without ads, but now they add ads, then it is corporate greed, plain & simple. It is an untapped gold mine, just waiting there.

Back