Fiber optic cable through electrical conduit

BullettuPaandi

Disciple
Hey Guys!

I need help with relocating my WiFi modem/router. It's currently near a window which is less than ideal spot for both range & my PC to go. My PC is ITX, can't really use WiFi adapter.

So, I want to run the fiber optic cable through an electrical conduit to a better spot. There's 3 L-joints - near insert, inside the wall & in the switch panel; I know the fiber optic cable is delicate, but don't know what'd make it rugged enough for this purpose.

Let me know if something like this + wrap with electrical tape, would do. If not, kindly suggest something better.

Thanks!

Sorry in case this is not helpful, you can use USB based Wifi Dongle ?
What about PCIe WiFi Card ?
Also, why not CAT 6 cable ?

Last edited:
Oh, that's packed too tight.
Found few people using USB WiFi, found to be quite stable on MS Windows.
What about CAT 6 instead of fiber, m/b may have inbuilt RJ45 ?
BTW, service providers generally give good quality cables, you can ask them to do the fibre cable laying for you, pay a little extra.

What about CAT 6 instead of fiber, m/b may have inbuilt RJ45 ?
You mean running CAT6 through the conduit? It'd work, but it's half-a-solution, I think. The range issue would still be there.

Maybe this'd be the last resort if I couldn't get any wire through the conduit (which I am to test yet).

You mean running CAT6 through the conduit? It'd work, but it's half-a-solution, I think. The range issue would still be there.

Maybe this'd be the last resort if I couldn't get any wire through the conduit (which I am to test yet).
What range are you looking at that you feel Cat 6 is an issue ?
Running the optical fiber through the bends will be risky.

I see you mentioning "relocating my WiFi modem/router". Perhaps explaining with a network diagram of your current setup will enable us to give better suggestions

If your conduit is already packed with a lot of cables you might find it different without damaging the fiber cable. If not, you should be ok. Airtel guys ran it to my place through building conduits quite easily, but depends how much space there is.

Lastly you'd be splicing from your original cut of to your new spot. (Unless you/your provider left a good buffer at the time of original install)

I see you mentioning "relocating my WiFi modem/router". Perhaps explaining with a network diagram of your current setup will enable us to give better suggestions
Done. Check attachment.

depends how much space there is
Looks like there is. But as I said I'm yet to test that - Probably using a snake wire, that's larger than the fiber optic cable. I was planning to use the same to safely pull the cable back in. But, where you there when they installed it? Noticed how they did it?

There is some buffer. But not nearly enough. They don't seem to leave meters of buffer.

Attachments

• Floor Map.jpg
    Floor Map.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 82
Powerline adapters work for many, but if wiring is not good there are reports of disruptions.
CAT6 or asking internet service provider to do fiber cabling for you at extra seems to be a better option.

Between amazon delaying deliveries, sending wrong/not enough items & me being out of station for a while, it took me this long to do it but it's finally done.

I tried running an ether-net cable first; but didn't think about how stubby the connector housing is for the conduit, which is only <3cm wide diagonally. Tried looking for slim/flat cables; but they all seemed to have longer housing, which I don't think would've made it past L-turns.

So went ahead with the fiber cable. I used some curtain wires to pull the cables, with zip-tie connecting the curtain wire & cable right at the end of connector housing. I didn't know that in fiber optic cables there's just a plastic clip lock holding their connectors. I tugged it a bit too hard at, I guess, a L-turn and managed to pull the plastic housing & a few mm of optic cable off. Tried again with cello tape wrapped all over and it worked.

I'm surprised by the amount of abuse it took. Either I just got lucky or the fiber optic cable is a bit more rugged than I had imagined.

Back