DPReview.com is closing down permanently

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
Amazon has decided to pull down the curtains on arguably one of the best digital camera review websites - dpreview.com. The site will close down on April 10th, 2023.

It was a great website, with excellent detailed reviews. RIP.

Another example why internet is not free. You like something or someone on the internet then disable your ad block, use their affiliate links, pay them directly or they will die. Dp review is shutting down because most of the traffic comes to Amazon via YouTube and Amazon does not need this website anymore to sell expensive camera gear.

This announcement hit me hard, it's another sign that I'm getting old. I first discovered dpreview when I was looking for digital camera reviews 20+ years ago and needed more detailed information than what sites like CNET or magazines like Computer Shopper had.

Another example why internet is not free. You like something or someone on the internet then disable your ad block, use their affiliate links, pay them directly or they will die. Dp review is shutting down because most of the traffic comes to Amazon via YouTube and Amazon does not need this website anymore to sell expensive camera gear.

it really does feel like written content will eventually all go away in favour of video and it's incredibly frustrating becausae there's so very little actual information in most, if not all, video reviews.

This announcement hit me hard, it's another sign that I'm getting old. I first discovered dpreview when I was looking for digital camera reviews 20+ years ago and needed more detailed information than what sites like CNET or magazines like Computer Shopper had.

it really does feel like written content will eventually all go away in favour of video and it's incredibly frustrating becausae there's so very little actual information in most, if not all, video reviews.
This is the burden we must carry for "democratization" of internet: dumbing down of the information so that it can be consumed by masses (whose preference is to consume emotion driven misinformation more than plain facts).

Lovely. Although stopped checking the site for nearly half a decade now, but in college lige it was a daily routine for me as I was getting into the dslr world. Detailed, unpaid text reviews written by true professionals are incomparable. DXO is now paid off. So is GSMA. Disgusting.

Lovely. Although stopped checking the site for nearly half a decade now, but in college lige it was a daily routine for me as I was getting into the dslr world. Detailed, unpaid text reviews written by true professionals are incomparable. DXO is now paid off. So is GSMA. Disgusting.
better you pay to read genuine reviews in contrast to free reading of paid reviews ... ?

This is extremely sad.
The demise of the written word journalism, because we prefer to watch videos.

To be honest, written word reviews are often much faster to refer to in the future.... For data and charts that we don't even know the timestamp to in the video.

I spent hours upon hours on DPreview researching dslr gear before setting my sights upon Nikkor Lens system... Sad day to see it go away...

Back