Don't use _this_ word in your OLX ads ... no it's not a four letter word ... ooops it is !

PoBoy

Skilled
I wanted to sell a vintage pen on OLX, and the ad just kept on getting rejected.

I finally contacted OLX. They explained that there's a lot of automation and OLX does not permit selling notes (currency I presume).

My ad had a line starting with "Note : ...", so the system flagged it.

So avoid the word 'note' in your ads, for now at least ;-)

Olx has really stupid automations.
It will catch pattern in your chat that resemble numbers, assume you are offering that amount and pop up their annoying window informing if your offer is low/ok/high. ... every time
Another is their search box, which has some weird back space logic vis-a-vis selecting whole word

well at least OLX doesn't send fake buyers your way. Most of the buyers at Quikr are fake. I have experienced this for 2 ads that I posted.

well at least OLX doesn't send fake buyers your way. Most of the buyers at Quikr are fake. I have experienced this for 2 ads that I posted.
I heard 2 very recent stories of new OLX accounts in Bangalore, and experienced the same myself - there is a huge QR code scam going on in OLX. Modus operandi ?

1. You create a new account and put something up for sale. This scam only targets new accounts.
2. Scamsters ask your number, and call you very quickly.
3. They offer to buy everything you have put up for sale, at your offer price. No negotiations. They also ask if you have more to sell, they ask your price, and agree to whatever price you say.
4. They say they deal only in white money, so must pay through Paytm / Gpay. Remember that people have been made to associate cash with black money.
5. They send you a QR code and ask you to scan it to receive money.
6. The QR code debits money instead of crediting into your account. (Edit : Obviously you get greedy so input the OTP also)

It seems so certain now, that if you are getting bored and have a new phone number which doesn't have an OLX account, just create one and have fun with these scamsters. Just don't scan their QR code.

Olx has really stupid automations.
It will catch pattern in your chat that resemble numbers, assume you are offering that amount and pop up their annoying window informing if your offer is low/ok/high. ... every time
Another is their search box, which has some weird back space logic vis-a-vis selecting whole word
Hate that chat slide to send/request offer whenever there is a number in chat message.

And apparently contact number in ad details is not allowed, but can write it in words or simply add it to ad pics.

And that search term being selected by default when using search box, is just annoying.
I heard 2 very recent stories of new OLX accounts in Bangalore, and experienced the same myself - there is a huge QR code scam going on in OLX. Modus operandi ?

1. You create a new account and put something up for sale. This scam only targets new accounts.
2. Scamsters ask your number, and call you very quickly.
3. They offer to buy everything you have put up for sale, at your offer price. No negotiations. They also ask if you have more to sell, they ask your price, and agree to whatever price you say.
4. They say they deal only in white money, so must pay through Paytm / Gpay. Remember that people have been made to associate cash with black money.
5. They send you a QR code and ask you to scan it to receive money.
6. The QR code debits money instead of crediting into your account.

It seems so certain now, that if you are getting bored and have a new phone number which doesn't have an OLX account, just create one and have fun with these scamsters. Just don't scan their QR code.
Common upi scam using their request payment feature.
Afaik, upi pin is only required when money is leaving account. Never for receiving.

Common upi scam using their request payment feature.
Common ? Phew , thanks! I was shocked.

If somebody spams me with a QR code at random, my suspicions are aroused and it is highly unlikely I will scan it. But with OLX, one is expecting payment so people can be sweet talked into entering pin or OTP.

What’s up with clickbait on the forum? Would definitely hope TE is better than that. Apologies in advance - this is a major pet peeve of mine and seeing it on the forum is very frustrating.

The qr scam is very very common. Atleast olx routinely removes scammer profiles. Quikr seems like they have completely given up

If you use the word 'amazon' in chat that message is also blocked. There is no indication for it other than the single tick, and leads to a lot of confusion. I used to tell people "it's x rs new on amazon" and they never seemed to care. Took me a long time to figure out why. Same goes for any kind of link, it gets blocked.

Back