Does lead acid battery have any health risks ?

It is not recommended to use these batteries in poorly ventilated areas.The cheap chinese batteries have much less safety standards and is best to keep it away from living spaces.

@blr_p, i m using these batteries for a medical equipment.

@iamnew, Its in my bedroom and are kept in a big drawer which is fully open.

anirudh said:
@blr_p, i m using these batteries for a medical equipment.

@iamnew, Its in my bedroom and are kept in a big drawer which is fully open.
So you are using these batteries in a UPS/inverter configuration then.

'Health risks' is a pretty broad of putting it :)

You don't want kids to fiddle around with these batteries so store them in a way that is out of their reach. Short ciruiting the two terminals can be dangerous as high currents are involved here.

Tubular batteries will vent oxygen & Hydrogen so you will need a ventilated area to prevent accumulation of hydrogen which at 4% concentration can become explosive. All that means is a pop not like LPG explosion.

Could you clarify what 'health risks' you have in mind ? where did you hear about it etc.

@blr_p, Its a Online UPS configuration and i mean respiratory problems, someone who uses battery told me about this. Also i sit near the batteries when i do computer.

anirudh said:
@blr_p, Its a Online UPS configuration and i mean respiratory problems, someone who uses battery told me about this. Also i sit near the batteries when i do computer.
There can be many causes for respiratory problems, my question would be how has this individual managed to discount all the other causes and arrive at the battery as the culprit.

What evidence was provided to substantiate the claim ?

Back