Confused - 20-40k budget and mind gone BEZERK!!!

1. Q: What is your budget?
1. 20-40k
2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
1. CPU - Intel Core 2 Due 7200 @ watercooled to 4 gz
2. Motherboard - Gigabyte sumtin
3. GPU - ATI Something
4. RAM - 4 gb @ 4-4-3-8 800hz
5. Monitor - LG 22 incher
6. SMPS - Corsair 620 HX and OC 600 Watt Extreme
7. HDD -2 TB
8 . Sony DVD wirter

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
1. SMPS
2. Monitor
3.Cabinet

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Ok, now that we have got the bits and peaces done. I am planning to build a 2nd rig. Its primarilly going to be for an HTPC, but I may run VM on it and might have 2 VM machines running tops. Now thats what makes the choice so damn confusing, actualy the more I read the more confused I get.

My first choice was AMD based RIG with as follows:

AMD X2 25 @ 2650 = 2.5k or AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE = 4k

AMD Mobo with integrated graphics to play HD rips at 720p. Now there are mobos ranging from 760G chipset to 880G chipset to mobos on 880G with USB 3.

From 2.5k to 5.5 but I am not sure what to do.

RAM I am pretty ok at 4 Gs.

Now after doing some reading I found out Core i3 does hyperthreading and would beat the living day light out of Phenom II X2 BE. It also supports integrated graphics that can play 720p (I hope). Now is Core i3 with Asus P7H55 M LX or P7H55 with integrated graphics better than Phenom or AMD X2.

Are my requirements too far apart.

An afterthought I am going for Logitech Z 623 and MK 710 at 6900 and 4.5k respectively as these items have a longer life than the other items mentioned.

I can of course go for Sandy bridge, but is it really required for my requirements?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

In addition just an FYI, the two rigs in 2 different houses, i.e. my original rig in native place, and new rig i m building for my own appt.

this is not the right time to upgrade PC wait for amd bulldozer or llano and intel sandy bridge refresh.

your current config is decent for general purpose stuff.

My first choice was AMD based RIG with as follows:

AMD X2 25 @ 2650 = 2.5k or AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE = 4k

AMD Mobo with integrated graphics to play HD rips at 720p. Now there are mobos ranging from 760G chipset to 880G chipset to mobos on 880G with USB 3.

From 2.5k to 5.5 but I am not sure what to do.

RAM I am pretty ok at 4 Gs.
if u are looking to upgrade to this config then i suggest do not upgrade just upgrade GPU.

u also have to buy ddr3 ram for (760g-880g) mobo as u have 4gb ddr2(800mhz) ram

Can Core i3 540 with the following mobo Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2 16x,S,L / Vga 3600 succesfuly play 720p videos without a problem? If no gaming is required is this configuration good enough:

Core i3 540 - 5800
GGAH55M - 3600
RAM 8 GB Corsair - 4500
HDD - 1 TB - 2600
Logitec Z623- 6900
Logitec MK710- 4500
----------------------------
Total: 26400
----------------------------

Existing: Cabbie (Thermaltake) + PSU OCZ 600 Watt Extreme

Total Damage 26400

What I hope to get:

1) Play 720 p without a worry
2) 10*7 downloading rig
3) Occasional VM sessions upto 2 VM Machines Max for studies/lab simulation

Now the hope is that Core i3 will be able to handle these VM's and RAM takes care of the memory requirement. The requirement are all over the place but I dont want to be limited by hardware if/when I choose to study. End goal:

1) Low power consumption while downloading
2) Movies Movies Movies
3) VM Ware for studies not limited by extreme slow performace caz of the hardware

If the same can be achieved/better with an AMD, I am open to that.

Speakers for HT in bed room

a suggestion.

since this is going to be your second PC, remove the existing hardware info which belongs to your first PC. that is confusing and will get you different responses from people who do not read your complete post. Just mention the components which you will be using i.e. the PSU/Monitor/cabinet and ask for suggestions for the remaining.

HTPC wise both of your options are good and if any of the integrated graphics is capable of 1080p then that would be the better choice. If not, you can add any cheap GPU for 2.5-3k if/when 1080p is required. Power consumption for the i3 will be better.

VMWare wise the AMD dual cores will not compete with the higher priced i3. AMD Phenom II X4s will cost slightly more than the i3 but will give much better performance due to native 4 cores.

Future upgradability wise, the AMD Phenom platform offers much more viable options. Intel keeps on messing with their sockets and compatibilities.

choose accordingly. my suggestion would be to get the i3-540.

wud advice u to go wid an AMD based config coz Bulldozer CPUs wud b compatible wid the current 8xx chipset motherboards... And LGA1156 socket is almost dead... :)

If your need is absolutely urgent and you can't wait then following RIG is what you should go for --

AMD Athlon IIx4 640 OR AMD Phenom IIx4 955 -- 3.6K/ 5.5K
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H OR GA-785GMT-USB3 -- 4.8K/ 3.5K
RAM Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz CL-9 4GB* 2 -- 2.5K/ stick <brand of RAM is at your discretion
SMPS -- Corsair CX 400 OR Seasonic S12IID Bronze 430W -- 2.7K/ 2.3K
Rest of the configuration is upto you as you've posted. I'm a n00b at speakers so no inputs there too. All prices from Bangalore, S.P. Road Golccha Inter-Trade (tax inclusive).

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News -- AMD Phenom IIx4 955 against Intel Core i3 540,
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News -- AMD Athlon IIx4 640 " " " i3 540, in all multi-threaded apps the quad cores from AMD pulls ahead in single core activity AMD is not very behind. If you can wait then Sandy-Bridge revised chips are hitting shore by end of this month and AMD's BullDozer is trickling in by end of April.

I hope this helps.

Back