Storage Solutions CD burning

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
I have a cd image of a movie cd which is 840MB on HDD. Nero express says that it is 720MB. Blank CD says dont insert more than 703MB. But I still want to insert. HOW??

overburn with disc at once method.

select disc at once. then drag the files, etc. press burn. itll then ask if you want to over burn.

I've had the same thing. i had a VCD of 800mb. if i manually copied the stuff and tried to burn it as a VCD, Nero wouldnt do so. So i used Nero to copy the cd image, and used Nero to burn the 800mb IMAGE onto a 700mb cd.

I think as long as NERO makes the image directly from a cd, there is no problem.

.nrg i think is the nero image format.
with overburn the max i could burn was 715 mb on 700 mb disk.
overburning is not recommended. it can cause read errors later :(
remember to verify the contents after burning, make sure there are no errors.

as you have 720 mb image i dont think you can burn, in that case edit the movie, even editing the intro/titles would bring down the image size.

VCD's are special type of cd's where some data is written to initial sectors of the CD (Lead-in) also, this causes increase in the size of movie (Image) on hard disk.

If in your case it is .DAT kind of movie , then you can use VCD option in nero smart start and burn the .dat file(s) available in cd (mpeg* folder).

To get the contents of image you can use UltraISO or ISOBustor,just google them to download.

If I burn just the .dat file then it wouldnt work on a vcd player.

EDIT - ok you mean to use the vcd option with the dat file. sure ill try that too.

@Hacker - did not know! will check out.

Last edited:
Most discs of capacities > 750MB arent compatible with CD-Writers, AFAIK...

Using the VCD option to burn the .DAT file will work..

if you don'tneed to play it on a stand alone VCD player than encode the crappy MPEG1 VCD to a DivX/Xvid and get it down to ~400MB

50MB or 700MB - is a maximal size of CD intended for DATA.

Real maximal size of 650MB CD is: 746.9 Mb

Real maximal size of 700MB CD is: 807.5 Mb

CD consist of sectors. Each sector has 2352 bytes.

DATA CDs occupy only 87% of all sectors (700MB of 807.5MB or 650MB of 746.9MB). CDs with data and CD reading mechanisms are not faultless. That is, errors (indeed frequent errors) could be made during the reading. A single bit error could lead to a program being unexecutable or ruin an archive file. Thus, for CD-ROMs, part of each sector is devoted to error correction codes and error detection codes. The CD-R FAQ has the details, but in effect, only 2048 bytes out of a total of 2352 bytes in each sector is available for user data on a data CD. The burning mode for CD with DATA is either MODE1 or MODE2 Form1.

Audio CDs occupy each byte of all of sectors. 2352 bytes of 2352 bytes. That's why capacity of audio CD is maximal (100%, 807.5MB of 807.5MB). For audio CDs errors aren't important as for CDs with data. Audio CDs do not contain correction codes, because it's possible to interpolate from the adjacent audio samples.

VCD and SVCD CDs occupy 98.8% of all sectors. 2324 bytes of 2352 bytes. The capacity of VCD is almost maximal (797.9MB of 807.5MB or 738MB of 746.9MB). Additional space per each sector isn't used for error codes, the space is used for something other than video data (e.g., sync headers). The burning mode for VCD is MODE2 Form2.

So, as you noticed the main determinant is the burning mode of the disc. MODE2 Form2 for VCD and MODE1 for CD with DATA.

The often quoted capacities of 650MB and 700MB refer to CD-ROM capacities. Due to the fact that S/VCDs use a different burning mode where MORE of each sector is available as user data, the relatively capacities are HIGHER. Now, since S/VCDs are not composed of PURELY video tracks and have some unavoidable overheads, the actually total capacity left for video tracks is a few Mb less for each disc (about 735 Mb for 74min discs and 795 Mb for 80min discs). This is where the often quoted capacities of 740MB and 800MB come from. They are quite accurate. All these capacities are available BEFORE overburning. Overburning is where you burn MORE sectors than the disc is rated for. If you overburn, you can typically achieve about 1-2 minutes of additional capacity (depending on your drive and media).

http://www.gromkov.com/faq/burning/cdrom_capacity.html

U can use VCDGear(freeware,2.4MB) to extract the MPEG from the NRG (will be <700MB) and burn it back as a VCD (DAT) using Nero.

Back