Budget 90k+ Buying an imported MacBook

Is it safe to buy an imported MacBook? I need a 16 inch MacBook Pro with 1TB space which costs 2.41L in market but I am getting an imported for 2.15L. The agent said its a sealed one with warranty. What's your opinion?

Is it safe to buy an imported MacBook? I need a 16 inch MacBook Pro with 1TB space which costs 2.41L in market but I am getting an imported for 2.15L. The agent said its a sealed one with warranty. What's your opinion?
Take the S/N on the machine and validate the warranty on the apple warranty check website before you pay.
If that checks out, you are good

Take the S/N on the machine and validate the warranty on the apple warranty check website before you pay.

Its a sealed box, if I am not mistaken the warranty information will only appear after registering the device?
When I asked if he will give me bill, he said yes, but no GST. What do you think?
Even with a bill that won't include GST?

Last edited:
Its a sealed box, if I am not mistaken the warranty information will only appear after registering the device?
When I asked if he will give me bill, he said yes, but no GST. What do you think?

Even with a bill that won't include GST?
If the macbook isn't activated, it will still show up as a valid s/n and valid warranty without a confirmed purchase date.

Macbook warranties are intl and dont need a bill per se

If the macbook isn't activated, it will still show up as a valid s/n and valid warranty without a confirmed purchase date.

Macbook warranties are intl and dont need a bill per se

Thanks for the information. Did apple recently changed their policy? An year ago when I bought an imported iPhone, and posted my doubts, and I was told that for international warranty in india, I need to show the bill in service center. Now my iPhone is 18 months old and thankfully I in perfect condition so there was never a need to show it in service centre

My friend was denied service on his apple macbook that he purchased from the us...so not sure how valid is the international warranty claim
I have claimed warranty on overseas macbook purchases in the past and the reverse as well (i.e. warranty claim on a macbook purchased in India at a Apple US store)

For phones and accessories, I believe they will ask for a valid proof of purchase (but the warranty is still valid)

The last instance of I having to give an apple device for service was earlier this year - An airpod pro that was OOW but had a service bulletin extension.
The device was purchased in the US and when I gave it to the local store (In Pune), they did ask for a valid proof of purchase (incidentally, this was new).

A quick search on my mail account got me the fedex shipment delivery mail which I showed and that was adequate.

Do note that this was not even an invoice, just a shipment tracker for apple addressed to my name.
I did ask the store folks about this and they told me that for phones and certain accessories, they have been notified to check for presence of proof for item being a valid purchase .

This could presumably have to do with avoiding claims on stolen goods or outright gray market purchases.
Either way, the warranty remains valid in India (and elsewhere) as long as its a valid and legal purchase.

You may want to ask your friend what exact reason did they quote to refuse honoring the warranty.

ou may want to ask your friend what exact reason did they quote to refuse honoring the warranty
They simply said it is not purchased from India so we cannot service your product... Also shockingly he hadn't even done anything to the device... He had gotten another laptop from his employer after shifting here.. He left the apple laptop in his cupboard... After a few months when he opened it to check everything is OK... The laptop simply refused to boot! His experience with the product and service left him and me with a very strong feeling that all this talk about apple is just hype and mostly confirmation bias of existing owners justifying their expensive purchases...

Just wanted to share my friends experience... Op needs to make his or her own mind up

They simply said it is not purchased from India so we cannot service your product... Also shockingly he hadn't even done anything to the device... He had gotten another laptop from his employer after shifting here.. He left the apple laptop in his cupboard... After a few months when he opened it to check everything is OK... The laptop simply refused to boot! His experience with the product and service left him and me with a very strong feeling that all this talk about apple is just hype and mostly confirmation bias of existing owners justifying their expensive purchases...

Just wanted to share my friends experience... Op needs to make his or her own mind up
this has nothing to do with confirmation bias.
This should not have happened and you friend should have insisted on service as it appears that whatever service center this was simply tried to wiggle theor way out a valid claim.

Their own warranty T&C that warranty may be available only in country of purchase if it is a non portable device - perhaps he should have raised a ticket with the 1800 number rather than taking the service centers word for it.

While these are Apple products and seldom have any chance of failures,to be on a safer side,i would rather get it from India if possible.
Yeah I would always get it from India, but there is a price difference of 26K. M1 MacBook 16 1GB Variant costs 241k INR in Chroma and that imported MacBook from that agent is costing me 215k INR

Yeah I would always get it from India, but there is a price difference of 26K. M1 MacBook 16 1GB Variant costs 241k INR in Chroma and that imported MacBook from that agent is costing me 215k INR
Why don’t you just enquire with apple India directly regarding your dilemma,that way you can be certain.

Why don’t you just enquire with apple India directly regarding your dilemma,that way you can be certain.
Then I wouldn't be posting here. Apple CC might not give me a concrete answer. These smart ass customer care, even if there is an option for warranty, they might discourage me.

Last edited:
If you have an old university email ID that is still active or if you can ask someone with one to help you, you can validate yourself on the Apple online store for the education discount. It will knock 10% off the listed prices and all customisation options including AppleCare. There is also an ongoing 6k discount offer on HDFC cards.

Combining the two, you should be able to get the variant you want at 228K. It's not as cheap as the imported unit but you will have less anxiety.

Last edited:
I just contacted Apple Customer Care India, this was the conversation

• Good morning
  • Agent's Message: A very good morning to you!
  • Your Message: I am interested in 16 inch M1 MacBook Pro
  • Agent's Message: Perfect! I can absolutely help you with that.
  • Your Message: Now Apple has international warranty, so Is it safe to buy an imported MacBook? I need a 16 inch MacBook Pro with 1TB space which costs 2.41L in market but I am getting an imported for 2.15L. The agent said its a sealed one with warranty.
  • Agent's Message: I really appreciate your interest and trust in Apple devices. It means a lot.
  • Agent's Message: I can totally understand your query in this regard.
  • Agent's Message: Please be assured, I will surely do my best to inform you about this so that you will be able to use your MacBook without any hesitation.
  • Your Message: Ok
  • Agent's Message: Please give me a moment while I am looking the details for you in this regard.
  • Your Message: That guys said that it will have a bill but without GST
  • Agent's Message: Thanks for your patience.
  • Agent's Message: I would like to inform you that all the Apple products comes with the 1 year warranty along with your purchase of Apple device.
  • Agent's Message: It is totally safe for you, if you will be using the MacBook outside from the country it was purchased.
  • Your Message: Or let me say it this way, that I bought a sealed imported MacBook. After registering the device it shows warranty information of next year. But God forbid if something happens to that device and when I take it to service centre, will the service centre refuse to repair because it wasn't purchased from india?
  • Agent's Message: I understand your situation regarding this query, that's the reason I have checked it first so that I can inform you about this more efficiently.
  • Agent's Message: Please feel free as you will not be facing any issues regarding the warranty services for your Apple device as we do entertain the queries or any concern regarding the purchase of your apple device as it comes with international warranty.
  • Your Message: Thank you very much. I will go ahead and buy that MacBook
  • Agent's Message: You are most welcome!
  • Agent's Message: However, I would like to inform you that the warranty's terms and conditions will be country specific as some of the cases are eligible here but not in another countries and vice versa could be there.
  • Your Message: That's fine for me
  • Agent's Message: But we do help our customers to resolve their concerns as soon as possible with all the support and it will be prioritised also as per the warranty's eligibility.
  • Agent's Message: I am glad to know that you are going to make a purchase.
  • Agent's Message: I am sure you will love it!
  • Your Message: In fact after purchasing the MacBook I would like to go for 3 year apple care+ pack
  • Your Message: And I will buy that plan form india
  • Agent's Message: That's a really good decision actually!
  • Your Message: How much doesn't Apple Care+ costs for this MacBook?
  • Agent's Message: You can contact to the apple care within 60 days of your purchase and they will let you know if you are eligible for it or not.
  • Agent's Message: However, I would recommend you to purchase the Apple care plus from the same country from where you will be making the purchase for your MacBook so that you will not be facing any issue in future.
  • Your Message: OK
  • Agent's Message: Also, for purchase of apple care plus you need to contact AppleCare+ Team: 000800 100 9009 and or chat with https://getsupport.apple.com choose “Support for a product I have” if you wish to connect to them.
Mohit is typing...

They made a fool out of him. Report all this shit via Apple CC. With official presence in India now, there is no reason to deny warranty.

I just contacted Apple Customer Care India, this was the conversation

• Good morning
  • Agent's Message: A very good morning to you!
  • Your Message: I am interested in 16 inch M1 MacBook Pro
  • Agent's Message: Perfect! I can absolutely help you with that.
  • Your Message: Now Apple has international warranty, so Is it safe to buy an imported MacBook? I need a 16 inch MacBook Pro with 1TB space which costs 2.41L in market but I am getting an imported for 2.15L. The agent said its a sealed one with warranty.
  • Agent's Message: I really appreciate your interest and trust in Apple devices. It means a lot.
  • Agent's Message: I can totally understand your query in this regard.
  • Agent's Message: Please be assured, I will surely do my best to inform you about this so that you will be able to use your MacBook without any hesitation.
  • Your Message: Ok
  • Agent's Message: Please give me a moment while I am looking the details for you in this regard.
  • Your Message: That guys said that it will have a bill but without GST
  • Agent's Message: Thanks for your patience.
  • Agent's Message: I would like to inform you that all the Apple products comes with the 1 year warranty along with your purchase of Apple device.
  • Agent's Message: It is totally safe for you, if you will be using the MacBook outside from the country it was purchased.
  • Your Message: Or let me say it this way, that I bought a sealed imported MacBook. After registering the device it shows warranty information of next year. But God forbid if something happens to that device and when I take it to service centre, will the service centre refuse to repair because it wasn't purchased from india?
  • Agent's Message: I understand your situation regarding this query, that's the reason I have checked it first so that I can inform you about this more efficiently.
  • Agent's Message: Please feel free as you will not be facing any issues regarding the warranty services for your Apple device as we do entertain the queries or any concern regarding the purchase of your apple device as it comes with international warranty.
  • Your Message: Thank you very much. I will go ahead and buy that MacBook
  • Agent's Message: You are most welcome!
  • Agent's Message: However, I would like to inform you that the warranty's terms and conditions will be country specific as some of the cases are eligible here but not in another countries and vice versa could be there.
  • Your Message: That's fine for me
  • Agent's Message: But we do help our customers to resolve their concerns as soon as possible with all the support and it will be prioritised also as per the warranty's eligibility.
  • Agent's Message: I am glad to know that you are going to make a purchase.
  • Agent's Message: I am sure you will love it!
  • Your Message: In fact after purchasing the MacBook I would like to go for 3 year apple care+ pack
  • Your Message: And I will buy that plan form india
  • Agent's Message: That's a really good decision actually!
  • Your Message: How much doesn't Apple Care+ costs for this MacBook?
  • Agent's Message: You can contact to the apple care within 60 days of your purchase and they will let you know if you are eligible for it or not.
  • Agent's Message: However, I would recommend you to purchase the Apple care plus from the same country from where you will be making the purchase for your MacBook so that you will not be facing any issue in future.
  • Your Message: OK
  • Agent's Message: Also, for purchase of apple care plus you need to contact AppleCare+ Team: 000800 100 9009 and or chat with https://getsupport.apple.com choose “Support for a product I have” if you wish to connect to them.
Mohit is typing...
Based on this conversation what will happen if I use Apple Care+ from India on an imported MacBook. These guys buy apple products in bulk and sell it avoiding import duty and GST. So there is no way I can find out from which country they bought the MacBook so Apple Care from the country of purchase if impossible

Back