Budget PC upgrade for light gaming – need Proccy, Mobo, GPU and RAM - 12K

arvnd

Disciple
1.Q: What is your budget?
10K (can stretch to 12K if it is worth)

2.Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Pentium D 2.8 Ghz, Asus Mobo, 2 GB DDRII RAM - It’s an old PC – what really matters is what hardware I’m planning to keep. Please see next question.

3.Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
1. Monitor – ViewSonic 22†1680x1050
2. SMPS – FSP SAGA II 400W
3. Cabinet - CM Elite 310
4. Hard disks – Seagate 1 TB 7200.11, WD 500 GB AAKS Blue
5. Sony DVD Writer
6. Existing Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, UPS etc – remaining stuff

4.Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. CPU – AMD preferred (for VFM)
2. Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
3. GPU – Please suggest a suitable one
4. 4 GB DDR3 RAM

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No upgrades planned

6.Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Trivandrum – would prefer a local purchase.
Not open to online purchase (unless I get a really fabulous deal).

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Light Gaming
2. Browsing
3. Watching HD movies

9.Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Nothing in particular. I prefer brands which have good service and the longest warranty period.

10.Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
System should be able to play the newer games at acceptable frame rates. Planning to do light gaming only . I have no idea about the current games.

11.Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Whatever is suitable on my monitor (max 1680 x 1050)

12.Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

13.Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 32/64 bit

If you can extend your budget slightly we can fit the AMD Llano platform into your suggestion, it is a CPU + GPU on same chip and performs pretty well, SMC International has some great deals in the Dealer's Paradise section -- http://www.techenclave.com/smc-internl/smc-launches-amd-llano-series-apu-194192.html

To put the performance of an Llano in perspective against the Intel Core i3 2100 (performance & price wise competitor) -- AnandTech - AMD A8-3850 : An HTPC Perspective.

If you cannot up the ante on the budget or wait for a little time, then recourse too --
AMD Athlon IIx4 640 ~ 3800/-
Any compatible motherboard based on 880G chip-set ~ 5000/-
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB ~ 5000/-
Corsair ValueRAM 1333MHz 4GBx 1 ~ 1900/-

Hope this helps.

Liano fits your need perfectly and its better overall with turbo boost and better power consumption.

you may go for discrete gfx if you feel.

I suggest a3850 fits your needs better as it has 400 shaders.

^^ thanks for the suggestions, alpha17 and pratik. I didnt know about this Liano - let me research on it a bit :)

I don't have to go for a discrete GPU if Liano can give me reasonably good gaming performance.

Could you guys tell me how a Liano a3850 compares with a HD6670 in gaming performance (not just as an HTPC) ?

Before you guys start calling me lazy, I'll start my research in parallel :p

corsair vengeance 1600mhz 4gb @ 2050 may be a good choice...:) just an effort to give the best deal

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

6670 is superior in graphics performance than the 6550d in a3850...

arvnd said:
^^ thanks for the suggestions, alpha17 and pratik. I didnt know about this Liano - let me research on it a bit :)

I don't have to go for a discrete GPU if Liano can give me reasonably good gaming performance.

Could you guys tell me how a Liano a3850 compares with a HD6670 in gaming performance (not just as an HTPC) ?

Before you guys start calling me lazy, I'll start my research in parallel :p
Its called Llano (double L not Li) and, the AMD A8-3850 combines processor duties + a IGP chip with 400 shader units christened HD6550, it performance falls between the HD 5570 and HD 6570 in graphics department, with 1866 MHz RAM that gap is further shortened (rest performance is explained in the review link I gave in Post #2).

The processor component itself mirrors the AMD Athlon IIx4 645 / Phenom IIx4 840. Hope this helps. And nobody is calling you lazy bruv, just doing our bit to help out a fellow gear-head / tech-junkie (in this case you).

chiragsthakur said:
corsair vengeance 1600mhz 4gb @ 2050 may be a good choice...:) just an effort to give the best deal

6670 is superior in graphics performance than the 6550d in a3850...

Thanks for that heads up bruv, the best under 2500/- in RAM in Bangalore is 4GB x 1 Corsair 1600MHz XMS3 CL-9 OR Corsair ValueRAM 1333MHZ 4GB x 1 CL-9.

True on this (discrete graphics card) but for OP's light gaming the integrated HD 6550 on the A8-3850 / 3650 will perform sufficiently @HD with reduced eye-candy and detailing. Still to each one his own.

^^ chirag, could you type your suggestions once more please ?? I have no clue where it went :)

Llano looks pretty interesting - however a Llano 3850 (Rs 6900) + cheapest compatible mobo (Rs 5850) costs around 12.7 K.

Going by DarkAngel's thread (Apr PC buying guide), the below config would cost me 10.8K
I save around 2K

Processor AMD Athlon II x3 445 3400
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 2450
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB ~ 5000/-

Could some of you experts tell me how the gaming performance of these 2 rigs would compare?

For your bro,

Cpu : Athlon x3 435, 440, 445 = 3200 to 3400

Ram : Corsair vengeance 4gb 1600mhz = 2050

Mobo : ASUS M4A78LT-M LE AM3 = 2600

Gpu : 6670 = 5500 (is it really at 5000?)

I cannot answer on the performance of Llano, but the above config is good enough to play games at decent settings

My suggestion to you is that better wait and collect some more money and purchase a quad core instead as alpha has suggested.. A mobo of atleast 4.5K is the one you should look for.. But if you are really short on money as of now, then go with either the Llano or an equivalent Athlon system (6670 will have an edge over llano for sure)... And this is a good system, you can see in my signature, i am using athlon x3 440 with msi 770 board and that too with ddr2 memory and still I am gaming on 1600x900 with all eye candy...

^^ Okay I had estimated it'll drop to this level in pricing guys (AMD HD 6670), my mistake and I tender a formal apology.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Okay I had estimated it'll drop to this level in pricing guys (AMD HD 6670), my mistake and I tender a formal apology.
Chill, dude :) formal apology ?? !! :)

@ alpha, chirag and compaddict, thanks for your suggestions, guys. I think I'll wait a couple of months for Llano prices to stabilize a bit - I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

I think Llano is the best option for me - given my 12K budget, I get a reasonably good CPU, graphics performance and if needed I can add another GPU later.

Back