Budget PC - Ubuntu - Coimbatore

Hi

I am looking for a budget PC configuration with Ubuntu :)no:windows - I don't want to pay for any software) in Coimbatore.

My primary use is going to be BROWSING. I need 2 GB (upgradeable to 4GB) RAM, 500 GB Hard Disk. I have no idea about other configuration aspects like mother board, SMPS, cabinet, etc. - specially a config that exploits the advantages of Ubuntu.

Also, I am not the FREQUENT UPGRADER type. I would like to retain the configuration for 2 years.

My budget is 10k (15k max). I am looking for some expert advice from TE experts.

Please suggest a good configuration & trustworthy shops in Coimbatore - where I could buy the computer parts and get them assembled.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the reply vantheman5211.

General Purpose Office Machine + 24/7 Downloading(Budget 13.5k)

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor AMD Sempron 140(2.7Ghz, 1 core) 1500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-74GMT-S2 2350
RAM 2GB 1333MHz Hynix/Dynet DDRII RAM 900
HDD 500GB Seagate 7200.12 1750
GPU On Board HD2100 -
Monitor Dell E1609 4300
Cabinet Zebronics Kite with SMPS 1100
PSU/SMPS NA -
Key Board Zebronics OEM SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ KB 350
Mouse NA -
ODD L.G./Samsung OEM SATA DVD-Writer 850
Speakers Creative SBS SBS A35 - 2.0 400
Total 13500

* Go for the Gigabyte GA D425TUD board + ATOM 1.8 GHz - 3.45k if it is only for 24/7 DLs and browsing.
* But if you want it for some additional usage too then go for the Sempron. It also gives you more upgrade options. Make a decent first PC for ppl on tight budget.
I have a few questions.

1. The rig that dark angel has given suggests an AMD Sempron 140(2.7Ghz, 1 core). How do you compare it with an Intel equivalent? I have heard AMD processors get too hot.

2. is the RAM upgradeable to 4GB later on?

3. What is the difference between buying "Zebronics Kite Cabinet with SMPS" & a separate SMPS "FSP SAGAII 350w"?

Thanks a lot!

georgeofthebush said:
1. The rig that dark angel has given suggests an AMD Sempron 140(2.7Ghz, 1 core). How do you compare it with an Intel equivalent? I have heard AMD processors get too hot.

2. is the RAM upgradeable to 4GB later on?

3. What is the difference between buying "Zebronics Kite Cabinet with SMPS" & a separate SMPS "FSP SAGAII 350w"?

Thanks a lot!
1. There is no Intel alternative in this price range!!! Sempron is excellent value for money.

2. Yes the motherboard has 2 RAM slots and (2*4 GB -> 8 GB Max)

3. Usually the Zebronics, IBall cases etc... comes with a cheap SMPS/PSU(Powersupply) with them which is of great quality but since its a sub 15k rig one can opt for that. The FSP SAGAII 350w is a quality power supply with good components from a leading Power supply manufacturer FSP

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Budget permitting go for the

AMD Athlon II X2 250 - 2.65k

GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 - 2.6k

Corsair/Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz - 1.05k

Acer V193HQ - 5.2k (Have these monitors in office and they are pretty decent. Go for 16" only if on a very very tight budget. Its a bit too small IMO)

Back