Budget 30-38k Need 5 components

Orija

Adept
Q: What is your budget?

30-38k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - AMD Phenom II 555 BE 3.2 GHz unlocked to quad core

Motherboard - Biostar ta785ge 128m

GPU - Palit 9800gt 512mb green edition

RAM - 2GB DDR@ (don't remember specifics)

Monitor - generic crt

SMPS - Corsair VX450

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

CPU

Motherboard

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name).

PSU- Corsair 550vx

GPU- msi 6950 twin frozr III preferably one with a Bios switch

Ram- 4gb DDR2

Monitor- 24inch 1920x1200 preferably from Dell

HDD- 1TB (can make do with less to keep budget in check)

Q: Where will you buy this hardware?

City http://www.lynx-india.com

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Gaming

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Resource heavy games BF3, Crysis, Metro 2033, Arma 2

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1920x1200

Desktop - 1920x1200

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

Will be unlocking the gpu

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64bit

PSU- Corsair 550vx ~ 4.7k
GPU- msi 6950 twin frozr III preferably one with a Bios switch ~ 15.9k
Ram- 2GB DDR2 800MHz ~ 1.2k (Since you already have 2GB just add another 2GB to make it 4GB. Thats sufficient for gaming.
Monitor- 24inch 1920x1200 preferably from Dell ~ Dell U2311H ~ 14.5k
HDD- 1TB (can make do with less to keep budget in check) ~ Seagate 7200.12 1TB ~ 2.7k

Total: ~39k

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

Nice. I'll pretty much go with what you recommend, I just have two queries: I like everything about the U2311H except the 8ms response speed. Won't it cause ghosting and blurriness especially while gaming or it isn't that much of a problem?

Secondly, would a single stick ram of 4gb be better than say 2x2Gb sticks? Is 800MHz the max frequency one can get for DDR2 ram?

Found only this one, how come it's cheaper than the 550vx even though their spec's are the same(both have 40amp on the 12V rails)?

Edit: Okay, saw the GS600 on theitwares, it has 27amp on the 12V rail, isn't that significantly less or can I make do with that much?

You can also look for TX 650 V2. It will cost you 5.3k and it is 80+ Bronze certified. Also price of VX 550 has gone down. In Digit forum I saw one purchased for 3.8k + taxes. Also VX series is EOL.

@Orija I have been using the u2311H since a couple of weeks. No issues , no ghosting etc. I play Need for Speed so I shd have noticed and of course movies (hd) look awesome :)

CX series sucks since its rated @ 30C and has only 2 years warranty.
GS series is slightly better since its rated @ 40C and has 3 years warranty.
VX series is even better since its rated @ 50C and has 5 years warranty.
The TX V2 is good since its also rated @ 50C and is bronze certified. Its much better compared to older TX series. It also has 5 years warranty.

So either go for a VX550 ~ 4.5k-4.8k or a TX650 V2 ~ 5.5k. Avoid the CX series like plague for a high end system like yours.

Another option is the Seasonic S12II 620w bronze ~ 5k. It also has 5 years warranty. But not sure whether you can find it locally

^^ The Twin Frozr III does but Twin Frozr III PE/OC doesn't have it which SMC is selling... you can check some reviews and even newegg if you want to check what i am talking about :)

Hmm, so, how is availability of the normal Twin Frozr III here? Any idea about the cost? Any other card you can recommend, that has the Bios switch?

raj_pol said:
@Orija I have been using the u2311H since a couple of weeks. No issues , no ghosting etc. I play Need for Speed so I shd have noticed and of course movies (hd) look awesome :)

That settles it then, I'll be getting it.

Orija said:
Secondly, would a single stick ram of 4gb be better than say 2x2Gb sticks? Is 800MHz the max frequency one can get for DDR2 ram?

Anyone care to comment on this?

Orija said:
Anyone care to comment on this?
Better to stay with 2x2GB of course, as you will be using 2 channels then. You can get 1066 MHz 2x2GB kits. There are 1200 MHz DDR2 as well, but not sure if they are still available, and at what premium. Eitherway, you are not memory bandwidth constrained.

Yes they both look identical but instead of BIOS switch there is a Fan switch on the Twin Frozr III PE/OC...

See even if you would go with Twin Frozr III PE/OC you wouldn't be making a bad choice coz HD6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC is a good overclocker... You can easily overclock it to 1GHz to saturate HD6970 like performance from it... And when overclocked to 1GHz it even outperforms HD6970 and GTX570 in some benchmarks and games...

Checkout this link : MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC review

Thanks a lot for the clarification and, yea, they both look awesome. Guess, I'll get whichever is available or cheaper. Thanks for all the help Darkangel and everyone else.

Back