Best Student Laptop

Hi Friends

I am looking for a laptop for typical student use -

14" - LCD or LED - I don't know which is better? Please suggest.
Word & Powerpoint,
Movies - so good graphics & long battery life,
Good battery life to last in class for 3 hrs at least.
Nvidia or ATI Graphics Card - I don't know about Graphics Cards. If having a graphics card helps in better graphics & longer battery life, then I don't mind going for a laptop with a graphics card.
Good Speakers
Good Warranty & After Sales Service Support

Budget - Rs. 25,000.

Which one would you recommend? Also mention price.

I had been thinking about DELL, but Sunny's excellent review on MSI CR400 with a 2 yr warranty has put me in a big dilemma:huh:!

Hoping to get very good expert advice here.

Having a dedicated graphics card actually results in a decrease in batter life. So unless you need to play games or have GPU intensive tasks to run, best avoid it.

Dell has the best warranty & after-sales support. I won't comment on the after-sales support of MSI but I think it is handled by some third-party firm.

At 25k, however, I don't think you'll get a decent Dell laptop. 30k would be a decent budget.

CR 410 similar to CR 400 but single core...it has ddr3 14" LED etc all similar to CR400 and its for 19k..so this one is a good option i guess...

-Murali- said:
CR 410 similar to CR 400 but single core...it has ddr3 14" LED etc all similar to CR400 and its for 19k..so this one is a good option i guess...
Hi Murali

Thanks for the info. I have a few questions.

1. I see in your signature that you use CR 410. Are you happy with its performance so far?
  2. Does the battery last for 3 hrs?
  3. Is SINGLE CORE a problem? I dont know how a dual core is going to help me given the fact that I plan to use the laptop for basic use - Mostly BROWSING, Editing Documents, Presentations, Watching Movies, Listening to Songs. NO GAMING or PHOTOSHOP stuff.
  4. 19k is a damn good price. I guess for that price, it does NOT come with an OS. How much does it cost to install Windows 7?
  5. Does it come with 2 year FULL warranty? Any experience with the MSI service?

Thanks again. :hap2:

georgeofthebush said:
[*] 19k is a damn good price. I guess for that price, it does NOT come with an OS. How much does it cost to install Windows 7?

[/LIST]

Do you REALLY need Windows 7, or any form of Windows?
Some of the Ubuntu variants, or even plain Ubuntu is perfect for your usage.
look at
Ubuntu
Linux Mint
Easypeasy
Ubuntu Ultimate Edition

georgeofthebush said:
Hi Murali

Thanks for the info. I have a few questions.

1. I see in your signature that you use CR 410. Are you happy with its performance so far?
  2. Does the battery last for 3 hrs?
  3. Is SINGLE CORE a problem? I dont know how a dual core is going to help me given the fact that I plan to use the laptop for basic use - Mostly BROWSING, Editing Documents, Presentations, Watching Movies, Listening to Songs. NO GAMING or PHOTOSHOP stuff.
  4. 19k is a damn good price. I guess for that price, it does NOT come with an OS. How much does it cost to install Windows 7?
  5. Does it come with 2 year FULL warranty? Any experience with the MSI service?

1. Yes for the money i paid iam more than happy...:D

2. Yep from 3- 3.5 hrs

3. Nope not at all as i watch hd movies streaming from my pc and it plays without any problem...:) and btw iam using windows 7

4. No idea..it comes with dos i guess..

5. Yep till now no problem...so dont know but really its best bang for buck and its the best laptop in below 20k...

Iam having exams now but once its done i'l post a review..thought of doing long back but no time..its been 4 months and iam happy with it..:) :D

but one problem i faced till now is iam unable to install linux from cd... it installs sometimes but sometimes it won't so i installed it from usb and now Iam dual booting windows 7 and linux..:D:D

Back