Security Software Best Internet security suite..& at same time light on system resources

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,

I purchased Dell Inspiron laptop last year & it came with 1 year free 'Mcafee Internet security Suite' which is getting expired this month.

Please advise should I go in for Mcafee internet security or with Kaspersky internet security or any other security suite. Kaspersky is cheaper than Mcafee on sites like flipkart.

Apart from being good from security perspective it should also be light on the system resource and should not take to much of RAM or delay the windows startup.

Pls advise..
Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1363699001][/DOUBLEPOST]By mistake I have created the thread in 'Applications' section. Moderators please shift it to 'Security Solutions' section.

If you want to go with a commercial antivirus, don't go fo McAfee, it's not good. Go for Kaspersky, BitDefender, or Norton. Kaspersky is great, and BitDefender has improved a lot lately too.

My advice would be to try a free antivirus this time maybe. Why go for a commercial one when there are excellent free antivirus available. I have been using free antivirus since many years now, and haven't got infected. You can take a look at some of the suggestions for free antivirus here on this review:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

I have been using Avast for years, and am more than satisfied. Others like MSE mentioned above, or Avira, Panda Cloud, AVG free, etc. are great too.

I usr MSE on 3 PCs and its wonderful. For a paid AV, I would recommend Eset NOD32. Wonderful antivirus and low system usage. Super easy UI too.

Hi,

I purchased Dell Inspiron laptop last year & it came with 1 year free 'Mcafee Internet security Suite' which is getting expired this month.

Please advise should I go in for Mcafee internet security or with Kaspersky internet security or any other security suite. Kaspersky is cheaper than Mcafee on sites like flipkart.

Apart from being good from security perspective it should also be light on the system resource and should not take to much of RAM or delay the windows startup.

Pls advise..
Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1363699001][/DOUBLEPOST]By mistake I have created the thread in 'Applications' section. Moderators please shift it to 'Security Solutions' section.

I am using norton 360 since a year, was using NIS since 2002, its best of the best of the best, send me a PM at 10pm today to remind me to send you 90 days free key for MIS if you want to continue the same, else happy hunting.

Hello Mohit,
here are my recommendations as follows

*Kaspersky Internet Security
much lighter than previous versions and is my 1st choice when recommending an IS to a computer newbie who does not mind a paid solution that works as it should.
Excellent AV module and excellent Firewall, excellent compatibility.

*Avira Free + Comodo Firewall + Sandboxie (my personal approach)
Lighter than KIS, available for free, even better Firewall, Avira's weaker AV component is weaker than Kaspersky,
But on the whole provides much better protection than KIS.
Recommended only to people who know how to handle the firewall and av components effectively.

*Comodo Internet Security
Free, lightest IS setup of the lot, recommended to people who don't mind the False Positives and prefer Protection over Detection and Removal.

Thanks you all for your valuable suggestions. I have genuine Windows 7 home premium OS, so I would like to try out Microsoft Security Essentials, but have few questions:
1)Does it have as many virus definition as say Kaspersky or Norton and does it comes our quickly with any new virus definition?
2) Does it come with efficient firewall?
3) Do they have any online support like offered by paid softwares?
4) Does it scan the new downloads and external drives automatically, keep track of suspected registry changes and alert if try to open suspected sites and for any other suspected activity like phishing, hacking etc?

Its depends upon your usage. If you're a heavy internet surfer visiting unreliable websites and download from torrents etc then a commercial AV is needed otherwise I suggest you to use a free AV. I was using Kaspersky since last 4 years but changed to Bitdefender because former is a heavy resource user. There maybe some 'downloading bugs' in a Bitdefender Security Suit too but overall it's very good(as rated online).

From my experience I won't suggest you to use MSE, you've other & better free alternatives. But it's my personal opinion.

Back