Audio Aux cable + purchased 2nd hand headphones.

crazysrihari

Recruit
Hi all,

I purchased a second hand Sony WH-CH720N.
Seller didn't have an aux cable, so I bargained the price down a bit more.

Amazon shows all sorts of aux cables from 200 rupees to 1500+

What's the difference in these cables? Which cable should I get?
Pls suggest as im not even sure if there would be a big difference

Thanks!
Also, is there anything I should have checked before buying it 2nd hand?
It's 3 months old, seller mentioned limited 1-2 hour use per day.

He mentioned no problems with connection, battery, etc.

Looks clean without damages and sounds as expected.

Anything I missed out on? I made sure ANC worked fine.

It's in warranty too.

I have the same headphones, used it once with the AUX cable, and it sounds totally different. Very muffled. Problem is that there is a lot of processing happening on these headphones and without it turned on, it will sound different. It only sound good if you turn the headphones ON while still wired, which IMO defeats the point of having 'wired' headphones.

Usually more expensive aux cables have better audio quality (claimed), but even then the difference is something a non-audiophile will not be able to hear. Honestly I doubt even audiophiles can hear it in a blind test, they are probably just messing with us. Just get the cheaper aux cable, or even better, don't get it at all because I don't think you'll use it very often after hearing it.

Last edited:
I have the same headphones, used it once with the AUX cable, and it sounds totally different. Very muffled. Problem is that there is a lot of processing happening on these headphones and without it turned on, it will sound different. It only sound good if you turn the headphones ON, which IMO defeats the point of having 'wired' headphones.

Usually more expensive aux cables have better audio quality (claimed), but even then the difference is something a non-audiophile will not be able to hear. Honestly I doubt even audiophiles can hear it in a blind test, they are probably just messing with us. Just get the cheaper aux cable, or even better, don't get it at all because I don't think you'll use it very often after hearing it.
Ah, ok. Will keep that in mind while getting a cable
Apart from that how has ur experience with the headphones been? Mine have been great, but last night I found that it kept disconnecting every 1 or 2 minutes and i couldn't even listen to a song fully.

Searched online and found it was the Sony app.

Any idea about this? I'd love to use the sony app if possible. Planning to experiment on this anyway

What's the difference in these cables? Which cable should I get?
As others have mentioned if the advertised difference on an expensive AUX cable is just audio quality, it's basically a scam.

But there is one edge case, that I can think of, which (usually) more expensive ones support. Besides the obvious build quality, TRRS connectors could be a nice-to-have.

Most AUX cables have TRS connectors, which basically lack a connection for mic input; if you only intend to use the headphones with your smartphone, this doesn't matter as much, as your OS would simply pick your smartphone's microphone as the input source (when wired with a TRS connector). But if you are also intending use wired with a PC (and don't have a dedicated mic) or if your smartphone mic quality doesn't work well for you, you can find some AUX cables with TRRS connectors which have one more connection for mic input (look for 3 black rings on the connector, instead of the usual 2)

This is assuming that your headphone's AUX port is TRRS as well. If not, there are AUX cables with TRS connector on the headphone end, an in-line mic and a TRRS connector on the device end.

But, unless you are on calls for longer than your battery backup time on a device which doesn't have a (quality) mic, you can always switch to bluetooth.

Ah, ok. Will keep that in mind while getting a cable
Apart from that how has ur experience with the headphones been? Mine have been great, but last night I found that it kept disconnecting every 1 or 2 minutes and i couldn't even listen to a song fully.

Searched online and found it was the Sony app.

Any idea about this? I'd love to use the sony app if possible. Planning to experiment on this anyway
Didn't have any issues with connections, have it connected to my phone and laptop pretty much all day and it's able to switch between them without problem. I used the app in the initial days then uninstalled it because there isn't really anything I really needed inside it. But even when I had the app I had no connection issues.

Back