Apple may relaunch the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus with USB-C charging

Good news for people who waited to get Iphone 14.

But I wonder if India they will care to bring the USB-C one soon.

EU is on different level. They can even make Apple bow down to their rules. All that Bullshit about not giving charger with iphone due to environment and then continuously giving lightning port. Could have change to Type -C earlier and made Iphones more friendly both to consumer and environment.

Next hope removable battery come soon. Once that come I will upgrade to new iphone. TIll then Iphone X zindabad.

Next hope removable battery come soon
First the law has to be passed in EU, then it might come.

So far they made apple to switch to USB-C standard, but I doubt apple will comply with the removable battery. Nothing stopping them to make two version of iPhone, one for EU and one for rest of the world.

My personal take on this is that the user removable batteries in iPhones or any other phone will be a step backwards in terms of absolute quality and reliability for general public, because if we look at the current standard, normally when iPhone is opened in official service center for any purpose, the screen sealing waterproof adhesive is also replaced when they assemble the phone back. I am not sure if they follow this everywhere here in India or not but I think according to official service instruction it should be replaced every time when the phone is opened. It makes sense doesn't it, you can't expect the adhesive rubber to provide the same level of protection again once it is squished in the first time. Initially it is deformed to fill all the gaps. Using the same gasket again is a compromise to reliability.

Knowing this, now let's consider the user replaceable battery in iPhone, it means the user will be able to open the back cover without any tools. Will he/she be able to put it back properly? What if it’s left slightly opened by mistake. What if some user opened/closed the back cover multiple times without any reason and the gasket gets compromised. Even if apple provided gaskets to user, what are the chances that average joe

1. Will remember to replace gaskets?
2. Even if he remembers, will he be able to do it properly? What if joe is 60 years old?

Now when the phones of these people gets into water/exposed to high humidity and stops working these will go straight to service centre claiming their warranty what will apple do? How will they know that if it is users fault or actual phones fault. It introduces too many variables.

I'd like to see user replaceable batteries because I know I am technical enough but to general public their IP rating will go straight down the drain, knowing what end users does to their phones.

Even with current situation, knowing normally battery needs to be replaced once every two years if charged daily, its better done by the expert.

Earlier there were some phones which had user replaceable batteries and also offer some water resistance but it has improved drastically over the years because of fully closed phone design.

Last edited:
@Heisen battery replacing is not a rocket science.
We have been doing this for many years with lot gadgets. Even earlier with phones.

As long as it is just open the cover and put the battery . It should be fine and can be done by even 60 years old as efficiently as by 8 year old.

As for waterproofing, I have many gadgets like gps etcs that have removable battery cover and it's still waterproof.
Just how gopro, dji action cameras these days etc . It is not a difficult thing to do.

The reason to request battery change is to increase the life of the mobile phones so that consumers can keep using the same phone for as long as they can and want.
Instead of forcing them a need of change every 2 years. Some mobile phones don't even last more than 1 year on regular charging.

This will also help environment more than that Apple BS ( about charges etc).

I am sure almost(90%) consumers will welcome removable battery option.

I know few people still using iphone 8. Only issue is the battery is now almost gone.

As for waterproofing, I have many gadgets like gps etcs that have removable battery cover and it's still waterproof.
Just how gopro, dji action cameras these days etc. It is not a difficult thing to do.
It is difficult to do with form factor of a phone specially the thickness.

Instead of forcing them a need of change every 2 years.
No one is forcing them change, they can get their battery replaced where ever they please and use the phone as long as they want.

2027 abhi time hai for this battery replacement thing to be implemented.
Got to find a good deal on iphone for now. 2027 is too long a wait but atleast its coming.
It is difficult to do with form factor of a phone specially the thickness.

No one is forcing them change, they can get their battery replaced where ever they please and use the phone as long as they want.
Dont agree with the former . It is not something hard to achieve if Industry decides it.

For latter yes to some extent you have a point .

I don’t believe this will happen. The deadline for phones to have usb c is 28th Dec 2024. At that time, iPhone 16 will be in market and Apple will already have discontinued 14 series.

Even if EU has a stricter deadline, Apple could just stop selling 14 in EU, as 15 is definitely coming with USB C.

IP rating is not the only factor, so many other things can play a role in making fully closed phone.

Lets chat-gpt this.

Design Flexibility: Non-removable batteries allow for more creative and compact designs since manufacturers don't have to leave space for a removable battery compartment. This can result in sleeker, thinner, and more aesthetically pleasing devices.

Water and Dust Resistance: Phones with non-removable batteries can have better water and dust resistance ratings. The absence of removable battery covers and slots reduces potential entry points for these elements, making the device more resilient to environmental damage.

Larger Battery Capacity: Manufacturers can design phones with larger battery capacities since they have more control over the internal space without needing to accommodate a removable battery compartment. This can lead to longer battery life and improved performance.

Improved Structural Integrity: Non-removable batteries can contribute to the structural integrity of the phone. The battery can be integrated into the design to provide additional support, making the device more durable and less prone to flex or bending.

Seamless Aesthetics: Phones with non-removable batteries tend to have a more seamless design. There are no visible seams or gaps due to removable battery covers, resulting in a more polished and high-end appearance.

Improved Thermal Management: Non-removable batteries can be integrated more tightly with the device's thermal management system, helping to dissipate heat more effectively and prevent overheating during intense usage.

However, it's important to note that non-user removable batteries also come with some drawbacks. If the battery fails or degrades significantly, it can be more challenging and costly to replace. Users might need to rely on manufacturer or authorized service centers for battery replacement, which could potentially result in longer downtime. Additionally, some users value the ability to carry spare batteries and swap them out for extended usage, which is not possible with phones that have non-removable batteries.

Ultimately, the choice between non-user removable and user-removable batteries depends on a balance between design, functionality, and user preferences.

When this law become enforced it would be interesting to see how apple deals with it, because that will become the defacto standard that the android world will follow. That's just my speculation and I don't think the solution to this gonna look like what galaxy s5 implemented back in 2014, at bare minimum at least few screws will be involved.

IP rating is not the only factor, so many other things can play a role in making fully closed phone.

Lets chat-gpt this.

When this law become enforced it would be interesting to see how apple deals with it, because that will become the defacto standard that the android world will follow. That's just my speculation and I don't think the solution to this gonna look like what galaxy s5 implemented back in 2014, at bare minimum at least few screws will be involved.
You do know that ChatGPT just regurgitates what is published publicly in the source links. These sources in turn simply regurgitate what manufacturers have been using as an excuse to make phones more disposable, thereby forcing new purchases.

The regulation text already states that they expect to see novel solutions to address this concern and the S5 is a reference to what was already possible in the past before the entire segment took a turn for the worse to create more e-waste. It wouldn't take much effort to have a practical design where the ingress point is sealed off with fixed gaskets.

The fact is that software has become much more inefficient as hardware has become more powerful. You can simply check this by running the first and last releases of an OS on the same device. Manufacturers are using higher density batteries but failing to provide meaningful increases to battery life which is telling. May be this will get the manufacturers to also concentrate more on software optimisation and less on finding more space to cram a larger battery.

You do know that ChatGPT just regurgitates what is published publicly in the source links. These sources in turn simply regurgitate what manufacturers have been using as an excuse to make phones more disposable, thereby forcing new purchases.
Me thinks these are not excuses these are legitimate points. I don't feel I am being forced to upgrade and there are many others like me, I use first gen iPhone se and my wife uses iPhone 6s from 2015, both running great, no issues at all, easily gets us through our day. Still receiving security updates by the way.

It wouldn't take much effort to have a practical design where the ingress point is sealed off with fixed gaskets.
It will wear overtime, upon opening and closing unnecessarily, at least the kids will do, unless screws are involved but even then what's stopping the average joe from over torquing them. All human input is error waiting to happen.

The problem is surface area, on phones which are very thin, we do not have enough of it. What ever design they come up with it will take more area then what the current design is taking which is practically nothing and fully optimized.

The galaxy s5 is keep getting referenced here like it is the direction we should head in, but reminding everyone it is a IP67 up to 1m for 30 min rated design whereas the iPhones are on IP68 up to 6m for 30 min. The difference is in orders of magnitude. That design won't stand a chance now a days.

I am sure they will find a new way which can't be predicted right now.

Anyhow, apart from that I still feel like nothing can beat the reliability of fully closed phone design. The engineering side of my brain can think of many scenarios where it will perform better with emphasis on reliability.

Manufacturers are using higher density batteries but failing to provide meaningful increases to battery life which is telling.
Because battery technology hasn't change since 1991 and won't be changing anytime soon, at least in our life time, but what has changed is our processors getting smaller and smaller, which means less power consumption and more performance. In practical sense runtime has increased but it's dominated by other factors like, 4G-5G, high graphical games that also use data constantly, bigger screens, high refresh rates, in general people using phones all day long because they can now, all this wasn't there before if you remember, our hunger also increased. This is why we are not seeing giant leaps in runtime I believe.

The fact is that software has become much more inefficient as hardware has become more powerful.
I can't say anything about android but on iOS the software is pretty schmick.

Last edited:
Me thinks these are not excuses these are legitimate points. I don't feel I am being forced to upgrade and there are many others like me, I use first gen iPhone se and my wife uses iPhone 6s from 2015, both running great, no issues at all, easily gets us through our day. Still receiving security updates by the way.

It will wear overtime, upon opening and closing unnecessarily, at least the kids will do, unless screws are involved but even then what's stopping the average joe from over torquing them. All human input is error waiting to happen.

The problem is surface area, on phones which are very thin, we do not have enough of it. What ever design they come up with it will take more area then what the current design is taking which is practically nothing and fully optimized.

The galaxy s5 is keep getting referenced here like it is the direction we should head in, but reminding everyone it is a IP67 up to 1m for 30 min rated design whereas the iPhones are on IP68 up to 6m for 30 min. The difference is in orders of magnitude. That design won't stand a chance now a days.

I am sure they will find a new way which can't be predicted right now.

Anyhow, apart from that I still feel like nothing can beat the reliability of fully closed phone design. The engineering side of my brain can think of many scenarios where it will perform better with emphasis on reliability.

Because battery technology hasn't change since 1991 and won't be changing anytime soon, at least in our life time, but what has changed is our processors getting smaller and smaller, which means less power consumption and more performance. In practical sense runtime has increased but it's dominated by other factors like, 4G-5G, high graphical games that also use data constantly, bigger screens, high refresh rates, in general people using phones all day long because they can now, all this wasn't there before if you remember, our hunger also increased. This is why we are not seeing giant leaps in runtime I believe.

I can't say anything about android but on iOS the software is pretty schmick.
One of the Xperia devices back then had IP68 rating with metallic construction.

Unknown to many, Samsung even released an IP68 rated phone with replacable battery last year, though the high weight indicates where things can improve.

Practical density has increased 3 times since 1991 with more in the pipeline. Indeed, feature creep eats it up because marketing and impractical users want 165 Hz or 4K or 10 min fast charging, which all results in rapid depletion of batteries.

Back