Laptops Anyone know the best way to deal with tiny stripped screws?

CapCloud

Recruit
I was trying to do repasting on my laptop but one of the screws on the GPU heatsink was too tight, I used a bit of force and stripped the screw.

The screwdriver I was using is of the correct size and I use it on all the screws of the laptop for the time I had it. I tried using rubber band, latex, aluminium foil, using fevikwik to stick a screwdriver to it, using pliers(The screw is so small these pliers couldn't hold on to them) that are at home. Nothing. Works.

I'm at my wits end. I ordered a new set of pliers which have verticle teeth for screw removal (Engineer - Screw Removal Pliers M2 PZ-55) so hopefully it works. I'm spending so much money on these tools it's crazy, if this doesn't work I might have to get a drill and screw extractor bits. So expensive for one stupid fking screw.

Looking to try other alternatives in the meanwhile.

A screw on my laptop's heatsink got stripped at the top. Tried with different sizes of screwdrivers over months & finally got one that was able to get enough grip to be able to unscrew it. I used Stanley precision screwdriver set, worth it for 400 or so.

Had same issue while opening a laptop once. Solder a screwdriver to the screw. In my case i had ample space and the screw head area was not surrounded by plastic. I used a electricity tester as my screwdriver so that i wouldn't ruin the precision screwdriver bit.

An invasive and potentially unsafe idea. Get the smallest metal drill bit you can find - and blast that pesky screw to oblivion. A hand drill gives you more control, but once you decide to live dangerously, no half measures I say!

Back