Animation RIG strictly Rs. 60000 and below

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration?

Brand new RIG, owner does not have anything.

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping?

Zilch

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy?

Core i5 2400 / 2500,

Compatible H67 based motherboard,

RAM -- 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS,

nVidia GTX 560 Ti,

Corsair VX 550,

22' monitor (21.5' will also do as long as has HDMI and full HD support),

APC 650VA UPS,

Standard KB + mouse kit Logitech / Microsoft.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future?

Not upgrading for 3 years at-least.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Bangalore S.P. Road Golccha OR Aashirwad Computers. Online purchase is off bounds.

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market?

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware?

Gaming

animation RIG (Rendering, Modelling, Texturing),

watching HD movies,

video editing,

sound editing,

download of DVDrips and occasional hindi songs.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Preferably stick to the Intel + nVidia comb as I've been unable to convince this friend to look at AMD processor and graphics card.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry 4, Prince Of Persia and most upcoming race titles on high settings.

all current and future FPS's at reasonably high settings. (Can go for medium settings in future)

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1920x1080

Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64-bit

Hope this is enough information for the beginning will elaborate other requirements later. Thanks to all thread answerers in advance.

Also I need a separate external HDD (not in 60K budget)

Capacity -- minimum 1TB. Priority is speed not portability, ports like eSATA and FireWire 400 acceptable.

For all prices please give links backing up wherever possible.

Processor Intel Core i5 2500 10250

Motherboard Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H (B3) / Asus P8H67 M LE (B3) 7500/6500

RAM Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 2x2GB 2600

GPU MSI GTX560 Twin Frozr II 14700

HDD Seagate 7200.12 1TB 2700

Cabinet NZXT GAMMA 2100

Monitor BenQ E2220HD 8500

PSU Corsair VX550 4650

Keyboard Logitech MMKB 700

Mouse Razer Deathadder 2050

Mousepad Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Omega 500

DVD Writer Samsung 950

Total 56900/55900

To do animation stuff a good precision mouse is required so buy Razer Deathadder instead of a basic mouse...

I have not suggested speakers as he is gonna do sound editing stuff which requires a good set of speakers (which would cost above 5k) and a decent sound card like Asus Xonar DX...

^^

Thanks for the heads up Hades, where did you get these prices, I scour on the net never seem to get these prices.

Also Sound editing is out of the field so recommend some cheap speaker set I am rooting for the Altec Lansing BXR 1221 ~ 1K. Any other suggestion regarding RIG and speakers are solicited, also about the external hard-disk guys need some suggests for that too.

The prices are from theitwares and smc... You may get the components that i have suggested in bangalore for the same price or may be for 100 or 200 more or less...

And far as speakers are concerned then you can buy VS2621 ~ 1.5k

i am no expert in suggesting extenal hdds so i cant suggest one other veterans may suggest you a good e-hdd...

weird my post is missing ,

as i was suggesting , increase the ram to 8 gb and cutdown on graphics need if you cant fit in budget

^^

@kippu I think RAM can be upped later but graphics card has to be solid for now so sticking with the GTX 560 Ti.

An animation rig does not necessarily mean that it needs a high end graphics card or even a high end computer. The highest end computer from 3 years ago is slower than the a low end computer now. It completely depends on the quality of animation being done and the software being used. For instance blender has insanely low minimum system requirements but you require quiet a beefy system to do ultra graphical stuff. Depending on the type of animation you do, more cores might be better than a powerful graphics cards and vice-versa. It completely depends on the type of stuff the OP plans to do. I sugget that the OP asks this question with more details in a forum dedicated to computer graphics.

unixguru said:
An animation rig does not necessarily mean that it needs a high end graphics card or even a high end computer. The highest end computer from 3 years ago is slower than the a low end computer now. It completely depends on the quality of animation being done and the software being used. For instance blender has insanely low minimum system requirements but you require quiet a beefy system to do ultra graphical stuff. Depending on the type of animation you do, more cores might be better than a powerful graphics cards and vice-versa. It completely depends on the type of stuff the OP plans to do. I sugget that the OP asks this question with more details in a forum dedicated to computer graphics.
Bruv I'm working on a AMD 965 Black Edition based (785G based board) system + HD 5770 card + 6GB RAM ~ I'm just buying the base system good enough for my friends money so that he doesn't regret for atleast three years down the row, till the time we get jobs and are ready to UPGRADE ON OUR OWN FUEL. That is why I said RAM can be minimum required, as for rest components which are extremely crucial (CPU + GPU + board) and which are significantly more heavy investments and can't be upgraded without a hit to the pocket even a year down the line have to be current TOP OF THE LINE in given BUDGET.

The AMD Hex-cores can only compete in VFM case in actual head-on runs the current Sandy-Bridge lineup cannibalizes there own Core i7 9** / 8** / 9** Extreme series, here is the sampler --

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

I feel you will be better off with more ram and a 64bit OS than a powerful gfx card like the 560. You can settle for GTX460/HD6850/70 and invest more in RAM if animation is the primary use.

vpraveenis said:
I feel you will be better off with more ram and a 64bit OS than a powerful gfx card like the 560. You can settle for GTX460/HD6850/70 and invest more in RAM if animation is the primary use.

I've mentioned Gaming also.

--------------------------------------------------

Okay because this argument is spiraling out of hand, I will introduce myself as an animation student and tell you what all RIGS I've seen and used --

AMD Athlonx2 5000+ coupled with and nVidia Quadro FX 380 + 4GB DDR RAM + 19" Square LCD (base college RIG) -- Lenovo Workstation ~ bought c.2005

Intel Core i5 661 + nVidia GT 220 + 6 GB DDR III RAM + 22" Widescreen Dell LED backlit monitor (upgraded college RIG) -- Dell Vostro ~ bought c.2010 Septeber

Intel Core i7 920 + nVidia GTX 295 + 6 GB DDR III RAM + 24" Widescreen Dell and slave 19" LG monitor (dual monitor) -- Senior's personal assembled RIG ~ bought c.late 2009

AMD Phenom IIx4 965 + AMD HD 5770 + 6 GB DDR III RAM + 20" Widescreen Acer -- Personal RIG (plan to upgrade graphics card once I get internship in December) ~ bought January 22nd 2010 damages 75,000 including Windows 7 64-bit legit copy adding 6K to the total.

AMD Phenom IIx6 1190T + AMD HD 4670 + 6 GB DDR III RAM + 20" Dell Widescreen Dell LED series monitor -- Batch-mates RIG ~ bought c.September 2010 graphics card from earlier home PC

Intel Core i7 950 + nVidia Quadro FX 4000 + 6 GB DDR III RAM + Dell U1223H IPS panel monitor -- most expensive RIG in my batch ~ bought c.October 2010 damages 1.41 Lacs

As you can see depending on situation and budget different people have purchased different configuration (Intel bias still is there),all my point is I'm trying to get my friend who is not from a very rich background the best he can get for his money currently, upgrading RAM later for an incremental value of 2.5K is agreeable 2 months later, rather than going for a brand new graphics card due to non-satisfaction.

Please refrain from AMD suggestions as I've been unable to convince my friend with the VFM prospect of AMD CPU and GPU. Plus I have an original copy of Windows 7 I can't ask him to invest in that as 60K is strictly for RIG not for a software which can be easily acquired through other means. I don't want to sound rude but I am confident that what I'm doing is in good faith, I came for others view over here and for price check I must say I solicit your advice but shall use it at my discretion. T

Thank You.

unixguru said:
Show me a full length feature film done completely using only Blender then I'll buy into your argument, all commercial projects use a MAYA OR 3D's Max tie in along with a studios proprietary plug-in(s) add-on(s). I already know Moore's Law.

Show me a full length feature film done completely using only Blender then I'll buy into your argument, all commercial projects use a MAYA OR 3D's Max tie in along with a studios proprietary plug-in(s) add-on(s). I already know Moore's Law.
Show me one feature film which was completely done using only one 3danimation software. And I never said everything could be done with blender alone. But there is at least one movie whose special effects were done entirely in blender; quote from wikipedia :
The French-language film Friday or Another Day (Vendredi ou un autre jour) was the first 35 mm feature film to use Blender for all the special effects, made on GNU/Linux workstations. It won a prize at the Locarno International Film Festival. The special effects were by Digital Graphics of Belgium.
The point in my original post was never meant to suggest that you should not use these commercial programs and only use blender. I only mentioned blender because it is one of the few pieces of software which can still run on a 10 year old system, yet max out even the most powerful computer. It was just illustrate that the scale and quality of animation greatly influences the system you require. That is why I recommended you ask the same question in a computer graphics forum where the people are more knowledgeable than most of us here.

alpha why you getting bugged over suggestions, they are suggesting and its upto you to take it or not , why getting worked up over it?

ALPHA17 said:
I've mentioned Gaming also.

--------------------------------------------------

That is why I suggested a 460/6870 which will provide a good HD gaming experience at reasonable price. You can use the difference to get a good IPS monitor like Dell U2311 too. It is just a suggestion man, in the end it is up to you to decide what you are going to spend your money on.. chill

Go with the Hades config only with the monitor changed to a U2311H taking into consideration that this is for animation related work where colour reproduction might be a bit more important.Will cost u arnd 14k.Might be a bit above the budget but totally worth it for the intended usage.

I suggest 8GB RAM and the COre i7 2600k(8 threads) for these:

animation RIG (Rendering, Modelling, Texturing),

watching HD movies,

video editing,

sound editing,

If using photoshop, 8GB ram will be a blessing

Back