Airtel Xstream Fiber - peering issue ?

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
anyone else facing peering issues with Airtel fiber lately ?

For all other server other than located in India, speeds are pathetic since couple of days.

where my download speed were 30-32mbps , now its capped at 6-7mbps.
DC located in India ( Bombay/Madras) are still uncapped and can download at full speed 30+mbps.
DC used to test speeds, are aws, digitalocean, linode and rackspace.
Same story everywhere.

don't have historical records, but seems latency is also all over the place.
here are results form - https://www.awsspeedtest.com/latency
Capture_Aws.PNG

Local test for lease web EU based DC. I believe i use to get 50-60.
Untitled-22.png

I tried raising issues with airtel. But as usual.. they came do speedtest & say, "everything is ok saar, there is problem with the site you are visiting", "check virus", "use chrome", and all that gonk.,
It is beyond my tolerance to try and make them understand,

Are we facing any cable-cut, etc right now for India ? if not, any recommendation to how to get resolved ?

I wonder if it's related to the recent multiple submarine cable cut?
ohh, i am unaware/out of loop of any any such incident, lately.
If it's a cable cut then its quite possible and the root cause .. as data might be routed via indirect sources.

edit:
found this https://propakistani.pk/2022/01/12/...ine-to-disrupt-internet-services-in-pakistan/
and
this https://www.gbnews.uk/news/russia-c...be-an-act-of-war-says-uk-defence-chief/202987
A fault in one of the international submarine cables, the SMW4, has been reported, resulting in degraded internet services across the country, ProPakistani has confirmed from PTA.

Last edited:
Facing same issue. tried calling the technician who do not have any knowledge. They will just speedtest and say the don’t know its fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facing same issue. tried calling the technician who do not have any knowledge. They will just speedtest and say the don’t know its fine.
same here... technician are just plain cable-connecting guys, they are clueless about networking.
One funny incident - the lady on other side of phone asked me to clear cookies of internet explorer - said i don't have internet explorer, i use safari... she was like, confused for 10-15 second then put me on hold :D
In dial-up era, bsnl lineman were more technical and knowledgeable then these days ISP "engineers".

Back to topic, it seems today the situation is little worse, few sites are painfully slow. ug like btn is crawling. not even the bg img is loading. :(

EU has been pretty weird
yes looks pretty bad :(,
TATA = VSNL, they are suppose to be be india's internet backbone.
I guess some kind of "rationing" is happening to mitigate this crisis.

Hope they fix the issue sooner...

Last edited:
Sorry to bump up a really old thread, but has anyone been facing this issue again? I didn't face it in Jan 2022, but have experienced this for the past week or two. Anything outside of India gives me <1mbps download, but still shows 100mbps upload, which is something I have never seen before.

Back