Airtel speed upgraded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetansha

Skilled
Today I noted I am getting 200mbps speed on my broadband. My actual plan is 799 per mnth + tax and 100mbps speed
Screenshot_20220611-150219_Opera.jpg

It ended [emoji22]
My journey with airtel
1mbps to 2 to 40 to 100
Haha... Well you've certainly had better tbh.

Before 2009 I didn't have broadband as such and I used to use Nokia PC Suite if anyone remembers to tether 2G mobile data to PC and browse at about 10KBps if I'm lucky.

Then in 2009 I got MTNL and it was only marginally better, 256Kbps (30KBps) which few years down the line when DoT revised the definition of broadband to minimum 512Kbps speed was upgraded for free to that, giving me 60KBps download in 2012-2013? I don't remember quite well TBH.

After that got off ADSL and got some ISP called Nextra with 10Mbps speed (1MBps) with frequent downtimes and latency issues switched to Excitel with 50Mbps, while the latency was not an issue here the downtimes were horrible (I've shared the experience in some excitel thread here).

Switched to ACT Fibernet with 100Mbps fiber, while it was the best experience I ever had with 0 downtime in 1+ year, on one bad day my wire was cut and lying in the middle of the road. No one attended for 3 days and I got frustrated and switched to Airtel 100Mbps fiber.

Upgraded and now on 200Mbps plan. Enjoying since 3 years...

Haha, well if you want to go before airtel, I had vsnl, unsatisfied with 256kb, I got 2 telephone lines , 2 modems, one pc . Man crazy times, used to schedule download from 10 pm to 6 am, then invested in a plextor cd writer , to burn cd to sell what ever I downloaded
Fck. Crazy.

Haha, well if you want to go before airtel, I had vsnl, unsatisfied with 256kb, I got 2 telephone lines , 2 modems, one pc . Man crazy times, used to schedule download from 10 pm to 6 am, then invested in a plextor cd writer , to burn cd to sell what ever I downloaded
Fck. Crazy.
We are indians. We all can relate to this one way or the other. For me it was downloading GTA V by keeping PC on for 72 hours straight with my 1.8 Mbps speed provided by 'the great' BSNL. Don't care about whatever Jio mobile data packs are, but the fact their entry forced broadband providers to up their game on a whole different level is just fascinating. It was like a overnight revolution really. Previous night I go to sleep being a 2 Mbps user paying 1000 PM, I wake up to 20 Mbps speed the next morning. Real WTF moment!

I have noticed that speeds outside of speedtests on airtel are quite low. Speedtest will show 200mbps(25 mBps) download speed, but if you use any sites which aren't peered with cdns, the speeds are 4-5mBps, if you try to sync a repo from some git platform or some random download site(which is not peered with FAGMAN), I consider it lucky if it downloads over 1mBps.

I have tried to contact Airtel regarding this multiple times but all they do is speedtest, open youtube homepage and play some cringe music video and tell you "chal to raha hai bhaiya". and when you show them sites with low speed, they just shrug their shoulders and make excuses like "speedtest me to pura aa rha h" or "ye India k bhar ka site h isliye ho skta hai" or "inke site/server ka issue hai". I have given up on it, I just assume that '200mbps' is for people who just watch youtube, netflix and basically consoom all day.

but atleast it works, I was a BSNL user ~10 year ago and their line was down half the month and max speed used to be in low hundreds if lucky

Last edited:
I have given up on it, I just assume that '200mbps' is for people who just watch youtube, netflix and basically consoom all day.
Has always been the case, and will remain so 50 years down the line. Like Indian users know what quality content on internet is. As long as their personal needs are catered for, they are happy. That would be what you mention, watching ghatiya shows and videos on various platforms.

Last edited:
Fck. Crazy.
I remember at the turn of the millenium when I finally had an unlimited net connection (at night probably), a 45.6 Kbps MTNL dialup (upgrading from a data-limited Roltanet one along with the ad-supported Caltiger dial-up) which I decided to stick to as I could download more on it than the bandwidth limited 256 Kbps broadband connection from an ISP that I don't even remember now (and which no longer exists).

Terrible in retrospective but still happier times.

India is way better in terms of boradband/fiber speeds and internet quality now. People outside (US/EU) are paying around $50-100 a month for cheap under 50Mbps internet and it's not even symmetric which means you only get that speed on download and upload is crap less then half of the download.

We're here paying around $10-15 per month with 100Mbps upload/download at least with fiber connection. When I tell some of my colleagues from outside they're very surprised and admire the cost and quality we get now.

We're here paying around $10-15 per month with 100Mbps upload/download at least with fiber connection. When I tell some of my colleagues from outside they're very surprised and admire the cost and quality we get now.
mostly because the broadband market isn't totally saturated yet, and also because most Indians can't afford to pay 100$/mo for internet.

mostly because the broadband market isn't totally saturated yet, and also because most Indians can't afford to pay 100$/mo for internet.
Quite the opposite. The saturation is here. Many ISPs are offering their services in same location so there's a lot of competition which is why we see competitive prices. On the other hand outside there are very less number of providers so users have little to no choice but to go with what they have and there's market monopoly by the single player/provider in the area.
It was same in India 10-15 years ago when the only choice people had was MTNL/BSNL or Airtel ADSL.

Also the 10-20$ vs 50-100$ is also due to vastly different economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back