User Guides Accessing Internet on Symbian phone over bluetooth

Hoooraayyy
I finally got ICS between my PC network and my Symbian Nokia 3230 up....
why?:

- Way faster than GPRS
- Very convenient for browsing while lying on a bed or in the loo :ashamed:

How?:

- Most Symbian phones do not support a Bluetooth based access point natively (Only GPRS and dial-up) thereby making it a not so straightforward option to get this running, so I had to use a tool called Gnubox to get this running. Gnubox makes the required config changes in the phone's defined Access points to enable bluetooth data access
Basicall we will be using a proxy dial up connection between the PC and the symbian phone over Bluetooth

PC steps:

- Added a Bluetooth dongle (500/- Rs. from ritchie street)
- created a Bluetooth Serial Port with Secure Connection Required in the Local Services of advanced configuration of bluetooth setup. This will have the name COMn (Com6 for me)

- Control Panel>Phone and Modem options and added a modem of type 'Communications cable between two computers' connected on Bluetooth Serial Port COMn

- Created a new user name: abc, pw: xyz

- Control Panel>Network Connections > New Connection Wizard, create an incoming connection (No VPN, Tickmark COMn, enable user abc)

- Install AnalogX (or any other proxy server of ur choice)

Phone steps:

- Install Gnubox_3230.sis (or gnubox_6600/gnubox_xyz depending on ur phone model) from here:
http://gnubox.dnsalias.org/gnubox

- Go to the phone control panel and create an internet access point. Name it 'Bt' . Make sure you set it to use 'Data call' as the bearer. (It may be named 'CSD' or 'Dial-up' on your phone. ) Set the number to call to something that cannot be called (e.g 321), user ID as abc, pw: xyz
- Accesspoint>advanced options, Enter DNS Server IP (the DNS IP that your ISP has given u for your PC), Enter Proxy IP (The bluetooth PAN IP of your PC, just use cmd>ipconfig /all to get this)
and proxy port (6588 if u r using AnalogX)
- Start GnuBox. Now you should see on the screen that the DialOutISP record is found, and the phone number you just entered is printed on the screen. However, the ModemBearer should still show 'No rec'.
- Select Options|Install|Create records
- Exit gnubox with Options|Exit.
- Start GnuBox again. Now you should see on the screen that the ModemBearer is shown and the 'No rec' error is gone.
- Create the bluetooth pairing between your phone and the computer.
- launch GnuBox. Select Install->set RAS login script. Then select 2box bluetooth->Serial port. On the upcoming device selection dialog, select your computer, and in the question about encryption click Yes (or OK if you only have that).
- Launch your phone browser and enjoy, you may alsio want to downoad stuff like Agile messenger (Cross platform messenger for S60 phones )

Back