$85.95 for a new Iphone battery... What a rip off

Replacing your battery will cost $79 plus $6.95 shipping

When the Apple iPhone was first announced, one of the major criticisms of the device was its lack of a user-replaceable battery. With the complaints levied against the batteries used in Apple's iPod music players, the thought of not being able to replace the battery in a cell phone weighed heavily on many minds.

Apple looks to put some of those worries to rest with its announcement of a battery replacement program for the iPhone. Should your iPhone's battery ever need replacement, Apple will do the deed for $79 plus $6.95 shipping. Apple says that the repair will take three business days not counting shipping to and from the repair center.

All data on your iPhone will be erased when you send it off, so Apple suggests that you backup all of your important information with iTunes before sending it off.

Considering that an iPhone sent in for servicing could be out of the owners hand for as much as a week or more (including shipping time), Apple has another program in place for customers. If you absolutely can't live without your iPhone, Apple will rent you an iPhone for $29 while your device is being serviced.

In the end, it seems like a pretty big hassle for what could be accomplished with a simple, user-replaceable battery. Hopefully, Apple will take this into consideration for the 2G iPhone.

source:http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7931

i appreciate Apple's pricing techniques until recently..

For e.g lets say a Person X buys a nokia fone at a price lets say 20k

a person Y wanna buy the same stuff bt for some reasons delays it.

After abt 3-4 months wen Y actually procures the fone .. he gets it at abt say 17 maybe .. or something a good amnt lesser than wot X got it for

After abt a year or so u see even the bloody paanwalas having the same fone and the fone actually has no value currently in the mkt .. and X and Y both feel stoopid abt it .. cuz the fone stil is chic and is good to use it .. bt simply the SOCIAL VALUE is gone ..

AppleCo stil made it a point ki the prices didn dropped liked that..

case in point Apple Nano 8GB - Rs 12k

Apple ipod Vid 30GB - Rs 13.5k

who wd buy Nano wen u gettin Video iPod for 1.5k more .. and more than 2x memory

bt they keep prices according to Target Class .. Not for the mass.. u need a nano .. u get it at the same price as it was b4 ipod Vid came out .. take it or leave it .. A buyer wd atleast be holding upper hand for a good 2-3 years at the least.

Bt THIS .. iPHONE .. no camera recording and issues wid the ringtone and now this bloody battery pangs ... seems as if iPHONE ppl are severely in a financial crisis.. mch like the Indian Bhikaris at the Signals .. PHOOEY

spacescreamer said:
Let this fone reach China and India .. we ll see who has the last laugh ....

You mean... with the fake batteries n all?? What about the warranty then... who's gonna change it for you?

And c'mon man the nano has a diff appeal altogether... and hence the premium and i'm sure it costs relatively more to manufacture as well.

that is wot i meant wen i said i appreciated the Strict Policies of Apple ..

and abt the battery thingie .. u think ppl gonna take that so called SCHEME that u gotta give the fone back .. take the backup.. pay $ 85 for the stuff .. and

then on top of that pay $ 29 as well ..

Surely sm1 wil come up wid some neato stuff ..

This is typical of Apple's stubborness and attempts to control what the user should do with their products. Apple has always tried to restrict the user in all ways possible eg: proprietary USB connectors for IPod, ITunes etc. yet consumers put up with these shenanigans cuz they wanna own an Apple product.

In this age of DIY and information, I don't want to encourage such a company by buying their products. I too believe that their replacement program won't work here where people are quite conservative with their spending.

As for Apple not changing their pricing I believe that even the common man deserves high end features and it's unfair that they should remain inaccessible to him cuz of price and I'm sure many who own older high end phones will feel the same(eg P990i). Also, do you wanna pay a bomb for yesterday's tech a year later? If we go by this logic, it will take forever for mass technology adoption eg: if broadband prices don't fall, we will never see 2Mbps unlimited :p .

Technology is for everyone...just not at the same time. If some rich dude has money to spend on a fancy looking phone today, the least he can do for society is to keep spending his money year after year getting new models and let the money be used for more R&D and new tech for the masses :bleh: .

Back