42" LCD TV for 40~45k ?

Please don't go by what was once a generally accepted opinion. Have you actually checked the Panasonic IPS LCD and LEDs? If not I'd suggest you do that before passing such comments in an advice thread.

Yes i have seen their lcds and plasma,while it may look good for you,that won't be the case for everyone.

The lack of contrast is evident,you can clearly see the poor blacks more like a dark grey even in day time same goes to the sony EX410 with a lg IPS panel which has blue tint to dark grey.

While the SPVA based tvs such as samsung and sony one can only notice the blacks are dark grey in night time ,meaning such is the level of blacks that these VA based tvs deliver resulting higher contrast resulting more depth in the image,matching or surpassing the blacks delivered by plasma from samsung and lg,only the panasonic FHD plasma have the edge over VA based non local dimming lcd.

Agreed that the Panny is not in the same league as the SPVA of the Samsung but what guarantee that you'll get the SQ series when you buy a Samsung? I did go with the Samsung D550 only after a dealer agreed to open the box and let me check the series. The panel lottery is the biggest pain when buying a Samsung and it's not as if you pay lesser for the much inferior panels (AU and the other one)

And the OP has also confirmed that the TV is for his parents. Think they're gonna look into all the blue tint / dark grey tint stuff? Agreed all that maybe important for finicky guys like us but in this case, definitely not

Again, I'm not questioning your knowledge or the research you may have done but in context to the requirement of the OP, there is no need to pay a premium for a Samsung (may or may not be) panel

Valid points.Yes many people don't really care about the contrast or other aspects in picture quality and what not most only care about size vs price or feature such as USB playback.

But hey this techforum we are bound to take about pq in tvs.

About the samsung lcd lottery its is annoying kind of unfair. .But for a cheaper price if one is open to grey market one can still get a 40CX520 for around 40 to 42k which comes with a SPVA panel,but doesn't support mkv file or NTFS hdd.

BTW AU panels which you don't find in D5000/5500 LED-lcd are however not really that bad.

@ OP

Since its 2012 its just a matter of time before the 2012 models hit the store,so if you can wait you may get the 2011 model at a clearance price or get the 2012 models with possibly better features or even performance.So if you are not in a hurry you may want to wait.

We should have seen the new models by now ,but this year it will be launched starting from march end or april.

Extended the suggestions to a relative who wanted to purchase an LCD of 40".

Went with Samsung.

Model: LA 40 D550

Price: Printed price was 49k @ Samsung store. Jumbo Noida offered 46,700/-

The store further reduced it to 46k. Like earlier, plays the usual movie file formats.

Caution: New firmware adds the glossy touch BUT

i) Memory playback is gone!

ii) It has considerable load time while taking a stock of the contents on your pendrive/HDD

iii) You cannot set wallpapers on LCD like in the earlier f/w.

iv) Remote design has been changed. Brushed metal look remains but shape of the remote and buttons been overhauled. Not the same old well organised feel.

So all the Samsung owners, do your research before you go for the firmware upgrade cuz as far as i remember, Samsung f/w cannot be downgraded.

Extended the suggestions to a relative who wanted to purchase an LCD of 40".

Went with Samsung.

Model: LA 40 D550

Price: Printed price was 49k @ Samsung store. Jumbo Noida offered 46,700/-

The store further reduced it to 46k. Like earlier, plays the usual movie file formats.

Caution: New firmware adds the glossy touch BUT

i) Memory playback is gone!

ii) It has considerable load time while taking a stock of the contents on your pendrive/HDD

iii) You cannot set wallpapers on LCD like in the earlier f/w.

iv) Remote design has been changed. Brushed metal look remains but shape of the remote and buttons been overhauled. Not the same old well organised feel.

So all the Samsung owners, do your research before you go for the firmware upgrade cuz as far as i remember, Samsung f/w cannot be downgraded.

Nice to know that we have 40 D550 in Samsung.

AFAIK it is a hot favourite among TE'ites
Guys I have decided to get that samsung led screen 40" D5500 too..but i am still confused with d5900 it looks more sleeker and attractive..

cost of 40d5500 at alpha irla market is arnd 56k and for d5900 arnd 57k......d5500 else whr like vijay sales and croma is priced at 62 to 64k

please help me decide which model to go for also the panel don't know if the alpha irla ( mumbai ) market ppl allow to check that...

also suggest a decent sony or a philps htib model will only be used mostly for music or occassional movies..

thanks..

40D550 Vs 40D5500/D5900 Post in appropriate thread.

sorry fella's didn't want to hijack this thread
<

Back