30 FPS or 60 FPS?

jai

Disciple
I was just looking at the Best settings for Half-Life 2 thread over at the "Video cards" forum here and this reminded me of an old debate about what is the best FPS rate for playing a game comfortably for any reasonable period of time.

I remember playing Quake III on my i810 board with a Pentium 750 and although the eye candy was down it was producing around 20-25 FPS throughout. Same story when I played Doom III on my old GF4 Ti4200 at 1024x768 No AA No AF showing around 25 FPS average. I found both games quite playable at those rates. However, once I got my 6600GT, I found Doom III far smoother even at 1280x1024 with 2xAA and 4xAF at 45 FPS.

Here is a link that explains what FPS and its effect on gaming is all about. It is a bit old (refers to 3DFX as an existing chip and video card maker), but hey the human eye has not changed in the last several thousand years, so a couple of years here and there wont make much difference!

And the kicker at the end (dudettes around to stop chortling):

women can see up to 30% more colors than men, so if a woman doesn't think your outfit matches, she is probably right, go change

Not sure where to put this thread, mods can move it if necessary.

IT depends on the game. If you play shooting games like CSS and you are stuck with 30 FPS you are dead meat for others. CSS simply aint smooth or playable at 30FPS.

On the other side games like NFSU and NFSU2 are best around 30-40FPS.

Then games like BF1942 really lags at anything less than 40-50 FPS.

Thats how these engines work.

And whenit comes to games our eyes can tell diffeence between 40 and 100FPS for sure.

Back