2 WiFi Routers, supporting dd-wrt or open-wrt or any other custom firmware.

1. A cheap bare-bones WiFi G router for sharing Internet and files. Should have acceptable range and standard G speeds - My current G router is pathetically slow for file transfers, about 1 MB per second.

2. A WiFi N router for streaming movies and multiplayer games. Should have simultaneous support for WiFi G and WiFi N devices at their respective speeds - I don't want the WiFi G devices in the network to slow down my WiFi N devices. Extras - Need USB port for printer sharing, and HDD sharing, if possible. Will compromise if I can save a lot without them.

I have no idea of the current prices, so have not mentioned a budget.

Asus N13 U B1 for 3k. It has n support with a USB port for ext hdd/printer. Has n/g mixed support.

Belkin n300 for 1.3k, which too is a n router with both n/g mixed support.

^ Mixed support as in? The rule of thumb with low end N routers is that they will fall back to G speeds as soon as a G device connects to the network. Simultaneous operation in different bands probably needs more Antennas or something like that.

I know the current Apple AirPort Extremes have support for simultaneous dual band operation, which wasn't present with the earlier AirPort, despite them being N standard. The AirPort Express, which is a small portable N standard router, doesn't support that function. Of course, I cannot afford anywhere close to what those AirPorts cost.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And I forgot to mention. I need Gigabit Ethernet support as well. Will use WiFi for backups and streaming movies/files from home server, so the connection between server and router should be fast. What's the use of having 300Mbps N std WiFi if it connects at only 100Mbps at the backend?

Update: It seems dual band (2.4 GHz as well as 5 GHz) support is really too much to ask for at the prices I can afford. There probably isn't any product offering that and available for around 100$ or less. Will probably get that VFM Belkin router only, for now.

Then look for Asus RT N16 @ 6k. Its a gigabit router with two USB port, so you can have simultaneous printer server + Ext HDD support for torrent download, and it has DD WRT support as well.

If you can live without USB port then N15 is there at 4k.

Then look for Asus RT N16 @ 6k. Its a gigabit router with two USB port, so you can have simultaneous printer server + Ext HDD support for torrent download, and it has DD WRT support as well.

If you can live without USB port then N15 is there at 4k.

Back