PC Peripherals 160 GB detected as 127gb in Win XP

My friend's comp is just detecting 127gb from a 160 gb barracuda HDD. He has a Sempron 2500+ with MSI K8mm-v
In the Bios its being detected as 160 GB, but after installing Win XP SP2 Windows shows only 127 gb. Even the Windows Disk mgmt tool shows 127 gb only.

use WinXP slipstremaeed with SP1. it detected my 160GB as 149GB during setup itself, even on a P3

just assembled a rig for my friend with an asus a8n-sli, the 160gb was initially reporting 127gb after formatting. Then when checked with 'disk managment' under 'computer management' it reported 20-odd gb as 'unallocated' and allowed me to create a partition with it. Plan to return with some professional partioning software t get it done right.

or, best method with an npartitioned HDD is, make just c: using setup, then partition the rest in disk management

I just saw the comp at my friend's place. Its showing just 127 GB as allocated space under disk management, no 20 gb unallocation. Bios shows 160 GB.

In any case he does not have a floppy drive, any other way to flash the bios on MSI boards, if I am not mistaken some of the MSI boards supported something like a liveupdate, ? any ideas guys ?

Sp2 should detect it fine. None of us have SP1, only Win XP and SP 2.

techmaster said:
In the Bios its being detected as 160 GB, but after installing Win XP SP2 Windows shows only 127 gb. Even the Windows Disk mgmt tool shows 127 gb only.

Hitman is right, you just hit the 127-137gb barrier.

but there is something strange about your problem, you say bios does recognize the drive as 160gb & also you have xp sp2.

the first thing is update your bios, the latest bios version for your mobo is v1.6, either use live update feature or manually d/l the bios & flash. here's the link
also read this seagate's solution to the problem

u have to use the software tht the manufacturer provides ...

my maxtor shown 126gb .. had to use the maxtor utility ... now its 161 :D :D

Back