Yagi or Patch panel antenna which is better?

coldfire85

Recruit
For medium range wifi ( aorund 1-2Km ) which antenna is better? 16dbi yagi antenna or 14-16dbi panel antenna(antenna from aliexpress)? wifi adapter is TP-Link WN722N

Two antenna brought separately will probably cost you more than getting a pair unidirectional APs which you can setup without a hassle
I have setup a pair of TP Link WA5210G in my village back home for network access from home to farm - Around a km in line of sight

Beware that YMMV - It's mostly a RF interference free area with absolutely clear LoS

I mean what will it be used for, as a source or a receiver. Like a tower and a mobile ...
It's just a method of extending your home LAN
So if you have a place some distance away from your primary home and intend to extend your home LAN to the other place

Even I wanted to use a yagi antenna in a metro city, but was told that it requires some permission and if done without permissions it would be an offence. Can someone using it throw some light on it?

I think there is a restriction on the max amount of power on an unlicensed 2.4G transmitter
Having said that, since high gain, high power devices like the WA5210G are legally available in India, you should be in the clear while using those

Okay I will tell my experience. I build a Yagi-Uda antenna with 18 directors and it worked amazzingly well. I build for extending the range of my WiFi following tutorials on instructables and youtube. So Yagi-Uda is a very cheap solution imho.
If you need any help on that then quote me.
Here's a pic.
IMG_20150527_224236.jpg

Meant to say "half-duplex" right?
Since you getting into semantics, duplex could denote both half-duplex and full duplex
For the discussion at hand, it is irrelevant

Please enlighten me good sire!
Say you have an outhouse some distance away from your house - And there are days when you are supposed to sit there with nothing to do than just twiddling your thumb
Now to kill time, you could browse the net or watch some movies lying on your home system

But the outhouse is not close enough for you to run wires or for your wireless router signal to reach there
Thats's where this kind of setup would come handy

Since you getting into semantics, duplex could denote both half-duplex and full duplex
For the discussion at hand, it is irrelevant

Say you have an outhouse some distance away from your house - And there are days when you are supposed to sit there with nothing to do than just twiddling your thumb
Now to kill time, you could browse the net or watch some movies lying on your home system

But the outhouse is not close enough for you to run wires or for your wireless router signal to reach there
Thats's where this kind of setup would come handy

And why does the Source/Receiver theory does not apply here ? (which i asked about to OP)

Omg so many replies, I was away for a personal work so couldn't look at replies.

OK WA5210G seems good but I'm looking at something much cheaper, here s my scenario , my friend who about 800m away from my house has 12Mbps internet cable which is unavailable at my street so we thought of sharing it, he will keep his WiFi router at window n I thought of using directional Yagi or patch antenna, something like this

http://www.ebay.in/itm/321505578046?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
This is cheap n can be connected to my wn722n[DOUBLEPOST=1432817599][/DOUBLEPOST]
Okay I will tell my experience. I build a Yagi-Uda antenna with 18 directors and it worked amazzingly well. I build for extending the range of my WiFi following tutorials on instructables and youtube. So Yagi-Uda is a very cheap solution imho.
If you need any help on that then quote me.
Here's a pic.
IMG_20150527_224236.jpg

Looks awesome, what materials u used? For beam n elements?

Because what you said is this

And this is not a one way street- You are transmitting as well as receiving

I meant that in a type of role being played by the antenna, not literally!

Since OP has clarified the usage scenario, its a receiver/client not a source.

@OP
yagi will suit you better than panel. ( theoretically )

zu_11.gif

Last edited:
I know this thread is a bit stale, but have been away from TE due to heavy work for the past couple of months.

I would propose a pair of SXT Lite5's in bridge mode. They would cost about 10K in all, and are perfectly small and great. We use them to pair two servers which are in 2 different buildings (a failsafe against fire)

If you want more bandwidth - the Lite5's top out at 100 Mbps (Passive PoE), then you should get the SXT G-5Hnd's, which will set you back by 15K in all. I would recommend this as well

Now, coming to why the SXT's are better than WiFi - mainly due to less interference (5GHz) and usage of different protocols (nstreme/nv2 vs 802.11).

Either way, you will be on the same LAN as his - so think twice.

Back