Xiaomi Mi A2 launched in India on Aug. 8

Well Google was never serious about Ara , it was the same motorola enginneers that were working on it and probably never got proper attention. It was also too ambitious as it tried to over invent, procuring procy should have been simple, but getting that small screens, camera modules, etc was too much.

Crucial difference being Mi 5X & 6X are not Android one.

What then about updates and stock UI ?

Yup. For A1 (owned by family member), updates are okay-ish. Oreo 8.1 was pushed as OTA in July, after having a failed update in June which wiped out SMS.

UI is stock - simple and fluid. I have installed ported Google Camera on it, while it helps a bit in image quality - takes noticeably longer to capture images.

Is it only me that thinks the price of Xiaomi phones have been creeping up over the past few years , where other brands with the same or equavelant processor are selling phones at par or at slightly lower rates than Xiaomi . Eg . Huawei , Asus and Realme .

Yup. For A1 (owned by family member), updates are okay-ish. Oreo 8.1 was pushed as OTA in July, after having a failed update in June which wiped out SMS.
Oreo has been much delayed for everyone. Usually it arrives sometime in the beginning quarter of the year. This time its end of the second and even into the third.

I've no idea why this OS release has taken so much longer than the last three.

Oreo has been much delayed for everyone. Usually it arrives sometime in the beginning quarter of the year. This time its end of the second and even into the third.

I've no idea why this OS release has taken so much longer than the last three.

On top of it, no Treble support yet.

Crucial difference being Mi 5X & 6X are not Android one.
Wait, aren't the "6X" and the "X6" (aka Mi A2) the same? Isn't Mi A2 Android One? Unless I'm mistaken about the model numbers, it says everywhere that the 6X is Android One.

Wait, aren't the "6X" and the "X6" (aka Mi A2) the same? Isn't Mi A2 Android One? Unless I'm mistaken about the model numbers, it says everywhere that the 6X is Android One.

Hardware, Mi A2 = Mi 6X
Software, Mi A2 != Mi 6X

On top of it, no Treble support yet.
right, if it didn't launch with Oreo then no treble. Yet it still took so long to release[DOUBLEPOST=1534226471][/DOUBLEPOST]
hardware may be the same but the X series isn't android one. It's got MIUI

Maybe it can be flashed with a Mi A2 after ?

So basically the Mi A2 which will be launched here (in India) is not Android One? And only the US/EU/International version will be Android One? Is this correct?

The redmi note 4 too

What i don't undertand how this abhishek has added treble functionality which wasn't there to begin with. Doesn't treble require a lot of work, abstracting out device driver interfaces from device manufacturers ?

the other thing that gets me is what speed will be like with treble as all inter process communication has to go through an extra layer. That extra layer of indirection has got to entail a latency cost.

Last edited:
^ this is the beauty of open source, you get these geniuses out of the bag. Developers had that "thing" for Apple during good old Jailbreaking days, Cydia repository was known for good and bad things, but it was indeed a charm to break that Apple Tv2 and get that ssh and XBMC running!

Anyone here bought the A2?
Would like a small review from a TE member. I don't really trust the reviews at most 'android' sites.

What was the buying window at Amazon on 16th? minutes?

Anyone here bought the A2?
Would like a small review from a TE member. I don't really trust the reviews at most 'android' sites.

What was the buying window at Amazon on 16th? minutes?

Check Nokia 6.1 Plus, at 16K its very attractive.

In todays 1 hour 'lightning deal' only 51% of the black A2s were sold.

Yet, now (after the one hour) it looks like it cannot be bought. The page says "Sale on 13th September, 12 PM"

Why is that? (If there are left over units)

Back