Graphic Cards WTB :: Low Profile GPU for HTPC

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
I have a Circle sff case with a 400w psu with the following config being used as a HTPC:-
intel g3220 + ECS h81 m-atx board
4gb ddr3 1600mhz kingston ram

I want a low profile gpu capable of running with out any additional power connectors from the psu. I plan on doing some gaming at 1080p on my 40 inch tv. i plan on playing old NFS, fps titles.

Kindly post your suggestions.

These two are the fastest cards that can run off pci-e power however they are both multi-slot designs.
From nvidia - geforce 750 (non-ti version)
from amd - r7 250

Please note that there are some 750ti's and 250x's that don't require a power connector but this varies according to the board partner so be sure to check that.

Another alternative would be to get y-connectors i.e. a molex to pci-e power cable, however this is more of a 'last option' approach.

You'll get decent 720p performance but not so sure for 1080p.

The problem is that while there are a good number of cards that can run off pci-e power only, the single slot requirement limits your choices to some of the weaker gpus like gt740 and r7 240 and to top it off not all of them are single slot designs.
the inno3d gt740 is dual slot while the galaxy gt740 is single slot. even the same board partner can have multiple designs for the same gpu (e.g. sapphire has 4 kinds of the 280x).

If there is no way to fit anything bigger than a single slot card then purchase it in person so you're sure it will fit.
websites are not very accurate with product pics/descriptions of gpus - i remember people buying the 650ti 'amp edition' on flipkart only to receive a lower clocked 'synergy edition'

Love your avatar note thingy
-some say, he doesn't know what dogs are for...

Last edited:
Back