Less than 10K Windows vs Android for parents

guptaji

Adept
I'm looking for a phone for my mum, primarily for whatsapp and frequent video calls (skype) with us in addition to regular calling and messaging.
My concern with non-stock Android phones is that they slow down/hang after sometime (or so i hear from a lot of users). Windows OS phones on the other hand have fewer such problems and people have suggested that the OS is easier to pick up compared to Android.
I have been thinking about the following options:
RedMi 2 Prime - 7k or so
Moto E 2nd Gen 4G/Moto g 2nd gen - 7-9k
MS Lumia 535/640 - 7-9k

Would greatly appreciate your inputs on this as I'm not too familiar with either android or Windows OS.

Thanks

Both of my parents are using Windows phones. I bought them for camera rather than ease of use ( Dad - 1520 and Mom - 1020) but they are definitely easier to use as compared to Android. I always advise a windows device for someone who needs just basic functions as required by you. The big tiles and easy navigation also help.

Talk with your parents and ensure beforehand that they will use it only for calls/messages.
I had bought my dad a Lumia 520 as everyone told me that it is good for aged people.

My dad is pretty frustrated with it. He cannot download any music via IE. So searched for solution and installed UCWeb. But even with it, he is not too happy.
He likes the Android interface much more. Both him and my mom use the Nexus 7 easily.

If you are owning a smartphone with either of OS, do show your parents that phone and let them play around for a while. If you and they both feel comfortable, you may go ahead with that particular OS.

I would recommend Windows OS, since it is much easier to begin working with.
However, please do note that Windows OS comes with its own set of limitations (e.g. refer hotshot05's post) that are often touted as features by Windows OS folks (Microsoft and fan-bois). (Another example is support for a variety of media format, yet another one would be call recording)

Having said that, my case it is quite contradictory - I use Windows phone and find it better than Android, whereas my mother uses Android which I bought for her! :D (Of course the reasons were entirely different, she had old sim that cannot be chopped, I was there only for one day, and I didn't want to get into the mess of changing sim).

But honestly, I have seen cases where she gets flummoxed and calls me to understand what the phone is trying to do or say, which wouldn't have been the case with Windows OS.

One of my relative who is a Sr citizen recently shifted onto Moto G from Windows OS. His primary requirement was to get a decent phone with smooth interface AND a camera with which he can click the pics/vids of his grand child.

I made him fiddle with Android on a moto G for about half an hr or so, and he was pretty fine with it (he is not ONE BIT tech inclined)
Lollipop with near stock android really was right down his alley, and now he is abs digging Moto G3.

Now, about 2 more people from his family are eyeing the phone during festival season, both again being non techies.

thanks a ton guys for the inputs!
I had almost made up my mind on the Moto G earlier but I heard from a couple of colleagues about random bugs in Moto G2s after a year of ownership; and that primarily got me looking at windows phone. Hearing the feedback on Windows OS from everyone here, I'm now leaning more towards Windows. My mother's primary needs will be whatsapp, regular skype (with us to watch her grandchild), SMS, phone and some photos. I doubt she will ever use the browser or any advanced media etc.
I think I'm also not able to justify Moto G3's price tag of 12-13k when so many other android devices with comparable/better specs are available for lesser.
Now, within the Windows phones should I consider anything other the 640 and 730? Also, has anyone used overcart.com; they have a refurbished 730 for 8.5k or so with 6 months warranty. You guys think its worth it? Also, I saw some cheaper Lumia 720 online in the8-9k range. Would you recommend the 720 over the 730 if 720 is cheaper?
thanks again

My vote will be for android(Stock one for non tech people), once you understand the basics of how to use the phone with important options, android is just pretty handy and all the features you need are available without any niggles. Those people complaining about hangs/niggles are once who usually fiddle with their mobile too much i . e downloading 50s of apps in a day then uninstalling, downloading those very heavy unoptimized softwares/themes/launcher etc etc. For a normal person, even cell phones with 512 rams are enough, if the uses are just calls/occasional browsing/light gaming. Though anything with 1GB and above will do for android. Even the redmi 2 phone which is RAM hogger will be more then enough for people who don't want to play high end games and are not the types who experiment 10 times a day with different apps.

Cheap phone are also good if they can be handled normally, but if you have a 1.5 year old kid at home who will punish the phone in 100s of different ways, then I guess Moto-G type of sturdy phones will be a better choice.

I have similar requirement, I want to gift a basic smartphone to my mother in law. She is using a basic a nokia phone, which needs an upgrade. She is staying with us for a while and play games in an old micromax phone. I think Windows phone interface is much friendlier than others if someone is coming for Nokia, the limiting tile faced interface will give less option to lost the elderly in the sea of options and icons. I want to make sure, Windows phone market will have whatsapp and will work well with 2g network and some bubble shooter type of games.

As of now I have Microsoft 430 and 532 Lumia in my mind.

I have similar requirement, I want to gift a basic smartphone to my mother in law. She is using a basic a nokia phone, which needs an upgrade. She is staying with us for a while and play games in an old micromax phone. I think Windows phone interface is much friendlier than others if someone is coming for Nokia, the limiting tile faced interface will give less option to lost the elderly in the sea of options and icons. I want to make sure, Windows phone market will have whatsapp and will work well with 2g network and some bubble shooter type of games.

As of now I have Microsoft 430 and 532 Lumia in my mind.
Don't buy Windows phone, instead buy a Samsung or Android phone with a option of easy mode. It's very user friendly and easier to learn. I'm saying out of experience with my grandfather.

Don't buy Windows phone, instead buy a Samsung or Android phone with a option of easy mode. It's very user friendly and easier to learn. I'm saying out of experience with my grandfather.

i recently gifted a windows phone to my grandfather, and the next day he started insisting on using his earlier button-waala samsung phone, saying "hamaare liye wo hi zyaada achchha hai". :bored:

any suggestions for such phones which also support whatsapp?

I would suggest Windows, as its seamless with the basics!

I think so...

i recently gifted a windows phone to my grandfather, and the next day he started insisting on using his earlier button-waala samsung phone, saying "hamaare liye wo hi zyaada achchha hai". :bored:

But my mother in law is not old yet, she will be around 45 years old and eager to learn new things, provided the device works well. I purchased a digiflip 7 inch tab from flipkart and she used it for a while to game.since windows 8 phones has tiles which can be easily de-cluttered , I guess windows 8 device will be much better bait or else I might get a redmi or moto e

But my mother in law is not old yet, she will be around 45 years old and eager to learn new things, provided the device works well. I purchased a digiflip 7 inch tab from flipkart and she used it for a while to game.since windows 8 phones has tiles which can be easily de-cluttered , I guess windows 8 device will be much better bait or else I might get a redmi or moto e

you married at quite a young age i guess! :p
yes, then definitely opt for a windows phone, else, something like redmi 2 prime.

As everyone says - show the device and then see. My dad (60+ years) was earlier using a WP, now a Mi3. Recently, got a Lumia 928 for testing CDMA calling, and W10 Mobile. First, he was interested to go back to the Lumia, but when I told him that certain apps won't be there, he said he prefers the Mi3.

To be very honest, get a Moto E/G or the likes. Once they start using the app store for anything, there is no turning back.

Back