User Review Windows Phone Pros and Cons

My thoughts on Windows Phone:

Look at these numbers - Windows phone global market share stands at 2% where as Android and iOS stands at 87%. Why Windows phone are far behind its competitors? In this post we will see about Windows phone pros and cons from my experience of using Nokia Lumia 620 for about 2 years.

Pros
  • Refreshing UI
  • Interesting features - Tap to wake, Glance
  • Social integration
  • On screen keyboard - Work Flow - was good
  • Xbox integration and trial for most of the games
  • Great camera and hardware
Cons
  • Performance - loading screen message
  • Lagging many features from its competitors. Mostly catch up job
  • Cortana - inaccurate most of the times
  • Apps - Lower interest in developing apps for Windows phone platform
  • No apps for Google Services! Single most important reason for trailing behind
Whom this phone is suited now?
  • People who aren't tech savvy
  • Who needs simple phone and better UI experience
Current state and what holds the key?
  • Windows 10 - single platform for all gadgets like mobile, tablet, PC and even XBox
  • If the growth has to kick start, then it definitely needs Google service and other apps support.

Whats your take on Windows Phone? You can share your comments via the poll.

Regards,
Praveen

Unfortunately the history tells us that the mob doesn't value the technological merits as much as the fad quotient.
And since crowd pulls in more crowd - it simply means that even crap can become popular and successful.

I am using an iPhone in parallel and I am surprised at the hostility that was shown to Windows phone devices (7 & 8). Bloody iPhone still has a lot of restrictions that WP at least worked on to make it more open and user friendly.

iPhone does score over others in terms of managing the program running (no hangs, freezes, glitches). WP comes second, and Android a distant third.

Unfortunately the history tells us that the mob doesn't value the technological merits as much as the fad quotient.
And since crowd pulls in more crowd - it simply means that even crap can become popular and successful.

I am using an iPhone in parallel and I am surprised at the hostility that was shown to Windows phone devices (7 & 8). Bloody iPhone still has a lot of restrictions that WP at least worked on to make it more open and user friendly.

iPhone does score over others in terms of managing the program running (no hangs, freezes, glitches). WP comes second, and Android a distant third.

My view is that, iOS is a closed eco system and they are great within that eco system. They integrate nicely with in their line of products. But when it comes to outside their eco system, then it starts hindering.

Windows had a great advantage of their PC software, almost monopolistic. But they aren't good with their web offerings which is what hampering them now. I'm yet to see an ardent Bing user or say OneDrive user among my friends circle. Chromebook looks a formidable replacement for Windows PC for casual users.

you left out continuum, that is literally the only feature I would be ok with spending large amounts of cash on. the SD card handling in W10M is also awesome. Google apps not being present is entirely google's doing. Also updates are direct from Microsoft so you are typically not at the mercy of OEMS. Also UWP - buy an app one time and use it on multiple windows devices.

After using a Mi 3 for 2.5 years which is not accepting any charge, I have been using a Lumia 520 as a backup phone for 3 weeks. These are my observations:

Nays:
1. Lack of applications is a serious problem. 9GAG, Inshorts to name a few.
2. The applications which are present take a lot of time to load. While I admit that I am on a very dated WP phone but this problem has been persistent with even better WP phones.
3. Poor performance on web browsing.

Yays:
1. Refreshing UI coming from an Android.
2. Not a distraction as there's nothing much to do on it :p

MS was over smart in trying to block ads in YouTube! Got a resounding kick in their ****. Google will never make native apps for WinPhones. They had declared this openly. With Bing in the picture, there is no way this policy would change. Without Google apps who would buy a phone? (not counting fanbois).

Google mail, maps, drive, music, docs, pictures, hangouts, youtube etc. All require third party apps if they are able to be used at all.

Except Google maps I am not seeing anything great about the google apps.
Why would one require a google app instead of email app? Google app doesn't keep any local email copy, the email apps at least keep a local copy - which is useful in cases like airports where you may not have any phone signal but you are required to fish out the airplane tickets that you booked 2weeks back.

Why would one require a google app instead of email app? Google app doesn't keep any local email copy, the email apps at least keep a local copy - which is useful in cases like airports where you may not have any phone signal but you are required to fish out the airplane tickets that you booked 2weeks back.

You can set the same in settings, if you have not done so.

YouTube, Google Drive, Google Photos, etc are all great apps. YouTube for videos, drive for documents, G photos to backup pics taken in camera, etc. Another key point is the seamless integration with them by 3rd party apps. Eg. CamScanner ability to back up the scan to your G Drive.

Back