WIndows 10 reserve notification

captivating

Disciple
Just wondering if any 1 in India received a notification to reserve their copy of Windows 10 for free if you are using genuine copy of Win 7 and Win 8.1 .

Yep, I got the notification icon in my system tray - I'm on Win7. My Win8 didn't get it but I think that's because it's only for 8.1 and 7 and not 8.0.

By the way if you are expecting but not getting the notification on Win7 or Win8.1 it could be because you haven't installed the optional KB update through windows update. I don't recall the number right now but you can search for it.

I really surprised to see, I didn't receive any notification in my Genuine Win 7 Retail and Win 7 OEM (Laptop) version but instead this notification in Win 8.1 Pro running in a test/misc rig which acquired 'aham' way...

Why not giving Genuine customer the first preference ?

lNJKKioh.png

@dissel do you have SP1 installed on your two Win7 setups? I believe that is needed, in addition to the optional KB update (linked in earlier post in this thread) which present the Win10 upgrade offer in system tray.[DOUBLEPOST=1433737035][/DOUBLEPOST]See the prerequisites mentioned in the link provided by @onlyravi earlier: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

Hi, My Windows is Genuine Win 7 Ultimate (Retail) and Windows 7 Home Basic (OEM) and both are 64 bit version - Both are installed latest Update as well Service Pack 1. Already ...Visit the above mention link but can't find the Update file..

If possible please provide the KB number of the file - The above linked page said this update available in Windows Update.

Anyhow I never installed any optional update as they often left the OS untsable & lead to me forecfully reformat/reinstall the OS. I found my OEM version as 61 optional update ready to download and install.

Yes, so out of the optional updates list, just select the number 3035583 let it install, reboot (maybe) then see if you get the Win10 offer :)

I got the upgrade notification on a PC running an "ahem" version of Windows 8.1
However on my Transformer T100 running original Windows 8.1 and my Gaming PC running Windows 7 I didn't get the notification.:O

Just a note that interestingly while I was clean installing Win8.1 Pro on my laptop yesterday, during the setup itself it asked if I wanted to reserve Win10! So in addition to system tray icon/popup which comes via optional windows update it looks like MS is also notifying people via the dynamic setup update itself.

Got the notification on my pirated edition of Windows 8.1 on my download rig and also on the purchased 8.1 Pro x64 on my gaming desktop.

I was apprehensive about getting the update on my Transformer Book T100 running 8.1 but this week I got it on the tablet also.Yay!!!!

^^ i am just speculating.

MS is moving towards a subscription based model. They are offering a free upgrade and many people would happily switch to windows 10 platform. Mediocre response to 8.1 and ceasing support to 7, will leave not much options either. Once you are used to it (having files in the cloud and dependent on online office tools), they'd start charging on a yearly basis. Fees won't be too high so that many people would find pirated versions a hassle (installing kits, bypassing licensing and the related headache).

Just like credit cards... first year is free and when people embrace CCs for their daily lives, they start charging a yearly fee.

Heard stories in college years that MS did the same with MS DOS.

Back