CPU/Mobo Windows 10 has caused serious fall in RAM prices

silverbyte

Disciple
The news in the grapevine is that RAM prices are the lowest in a year and will stay low/decline for the next two years.

Because of the free availability of Windows 10, people are not upgrading computers this year and RAM prices are falling.

What's so hard to understand ? A lot of people buy laptops for general use with OEM licenses which has been upgraded to Win10 for free.
Win10 runs as good as 7 even on older hardware so they don't really need a hardware upgrade to carry on what they were doing.

Not to forget PC market has been a bit stagnant over the last couple of years due to minor performance upgrades from Intel and mainly because people already have the computing power at their disposal to run most applications comfortably, heck people are still holding on to their Sandy Bridge cpu's.
Things will be looking up on the GPU front next year because of the massive push by the industry towards 4K and VR (and DX12 ofc) but the rest of the components market will be in a bit of slump for the next 1-2 years until Zen and Cannonlake show up.

Windows has run on almost same minimum requirement since Windows vista. My laptop is 8-9 yrs old and it came with windows XP now runs windows 10 flawlessly and discovered all drivers except sound automatically through windows update. The OS has little to do with sales of hardware except for the little effect of the marketing budget of new Windows OS.

The OS has little to do with sales of hardware

It has to do a lot actually, OEM's and component manufacturers bet a lot on new operating systems to boost sales but Win10 was a free upgrade and it runs great on older hardware providing little reason for people to spend money.
I'm not gonna repeat what has been said already, just give this article a read.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485505,00.asp

It has to do a lot actually, OEM's and component manufacturers bet a lot on new operating systems to boost sales but Win10 was a free upgrade and it runs great on older hardware providing little reason for people to spend money.
I'm not gonna repeat what has been said already, just give this article a read.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485505,00.asp
New hardware that comes with new features boosts sales, the sales dont just jump up. That and the marketing that microsoft does. If anything, with Windows Hello and other new features there is a huge reason to buy newer hardware. That aside, even then the co-relation with ram prices is very obscure. I've mentioned more points above which you have ignored. Like for example, Windows 7, and 8 have also run great on older hardware. that's no reason for sales drop.

Lol did you even read the article or my first post in this thread ?
I already mentioned Win10 isn't demanding and runs great even on older hardware so that's one of the reasons you don't need a hardware upgrade.
This is the very first line from that article and it's a known fact.
Typically, new operating systems are intended to boost PC sales since they often demand new hardware for optimal performance.

Secondly you're viewing the whole PC market only from an Indian viewpoint where most people pirate Windows and even opt out of OEM OS licenses to save money while buying laptops.
In bigger markets a bulk of the hardware sales comes from OEM PC's and laptops, also you seem to be forgetting that Win7 and Win8 weren't free at launch so if someone wanted to move to that OS he'd also consider trading in his lappy/pc and getting a hardware upgrade too instead of only spending $100-200 on a home/pro license on his older hardware.
Now people with those older laptops/pc's with Win7 and 8 licenses received a free upgrade to 10 which runs like a charm on the same hardware, If it was paid or if it was more performance demanding it would've obviously led to a boost in sales but neither of those things happened.

Here's another quote from a related article on DRAMexchange that exclusively focuses on market trends for flash products.
Notebook shipments in the third quarter fall short of what is expected for a traditional peak season mainly because Windows 10 with its free upgrade plan negatively impacted replaced sales of notebooks to some extent rather than driving the demand for these products.

Part of the misunderstanding is because of the way OP has posted that statement, you guys are directly linking one to the other instead of connecting the dots.
Win10 being free and well optimised provided little reason to upgrade -> no upgrade means no component sales -> I don't have to tell you what happens when supply outruns demand.

Lol did you even read the article or my first post in this thread ?
I already mentioned Win10 isn't demanding and runs great even on older hardware so that's one of the reasons you don't need a hardware upgrade.
This is the very first line from that article and it's a known fact.

"Typically, new operating systems are intended to boost PC sales since they often demand new hardware for optimal performance."
That is what I have contested. Windows hasn't demanded new hardware since Vista till even now for windows 10. Hell my laptop that came with XP runs windows 10. So that logic that new Os needs better hardware and hence better sales is false. Since in the last decade no new OS has come out that demands better hardware. Now do you get it?

Windows 10 is possibly the first windows in a decade that demands and supports new hardware for Windows hello and better touchpads etc. If anything, people should be buying hardware now since its the first hardware update in a decade due to the above mentioned features. Anyway. Im out.

Again you're applying your own perspective, just because you won't upgrade your lappy doesn't mean there is no market in the world at all.
The minimum requirement for the OS has remained the same but the experience varies on different configurations depending on user requirements. My dad's 7 year old Inspiron that originally came with XP can run Win10 but is the experience as snappy ? Ofc not.
Good thing he only uses it for word processing and e-mails but even then the sluggishness is clearly evident under heavy browsing. I can only imagine how annoying an experience it will be in the hands of a heavy user.

Windows hello

You keep mentioning this as if it's some revolutionary feature, that gimmick is over a decade old.
The innovations in operating systems has already plateaued and there is nothing noteworthy that will enhance productivity for the time being which is why they have moved onto update based models.

From the late 90s windows has been rather infamous to demand higher configuration hardware with every new release. Their min reqd and recc. hardware always went up with every new release. Its not the same with the last few releases but Not all markets are like Indian market.
In USA many people buy new PCs because they come with new OS and better hardware. They are mostly branded pre assembled machines. Not like the Indian market where its mostly assembled machine with all pirated s/w.
So with every new version of Windows the hardware sales also got a boost as new hardware marketed themselves as Windows x ready/certified and so on....
With windows 10 when you are getting a free upgrade without having to upgrade any hardware its definitely bound to hit the PC components market.

Again you're applying your own perspective, just because you won't upgrade your lappy doesn't mean there is no market in the world at all.
The minimum requirement for the OS has remained the same but the experience varies on different configurations depending on user requirements. My dad's 7 year old Inspiron that originally came with XP can run Win10 but is the experience as snappy ? Ofc not.
Good thing he only uses it for word processing and e-mails but even then the sluggishness is clearly evident under heavy browsing. I can only imagine how annoying an experience it will be in the hands of a heavy user.

You keep mentioning this as if it's some revolutionary feature, that gimmick is over a decade old.
The innovations in operating systems has already plateaued and there is nothing noteworthy that will enhance productivity for the time being which is why they have moved onto update based models.
Its your perspective that its not snappy. Mine is pretty snappy. And authentication has been around a long time for sure, but Im just mentioning that Hello is the first branded features that requires new hardware, rest run fine. Anyway. To each his own.

Its your perspective that its not snappy. Mine is pretty snappy. And authentication has been around a long time for sure, but Im just mentioning that Hello is the first branded features that requires new hardware, rest run fine. Anyway. To each his own.

Back