Wifi Router for torrents and external HDD streaming.

onlystruggler

Disciple
Hello Guys

I need your guidance in buying a wifi router. Below are my requirements and by budget is 5K.

Requirements

1) I should able to download torrents directly to the external hard disk connected to the router. Since i do not have any PC i need to download the torrent from my mobile and the download shoudl directly go to external HDD.
2)Should stream this content directly to my LG Web OS TV. i am ok to buy chromescast if webOS wont work.
3)Decent coverage.

I think you need to check for ASUS Routers supporting ASUS Download manager, it allows you to download to external hard drive and also has miniDLNA so you can access the downloaded content using it, if you TV has DLNA was watch it from it

I am out of touch with new routers, so cant recommend any models. However, ensure that whatever model you get has openWRT support, so if the functionality does not work out of the box, you can add it.

Optionally, if you can pickup a R-Pi 3, I think that would be a better solution, with the ability to do what you want!

or netgear r7000 which will support all this, anyways webos streaming from mobile will work w/o chromecast as chromecast is inbuilt into webos

If you already have a router then I'd suggest buying a Raspberry Pi 3. Plug it into your TV and use it as a media center + download rig + file sharing server? It'll cost you ~ Rs.3000 + cost for 2amp 5v charger.

Back