Why japanese game developers makes movies instead of games.

quan chi

Skilled
Yes I was playing yakuza 4 and honestly it bored the hell out of me. MGS series still has a kickass gameplay but yakuza 4 has cutscenes after cutscenes neither its a gta type game nor its a fighthing game.
Then suddenly the conversation will stop & it will take the form of texts like rpgs & you have to blindly press X after X. Most of the time the conversation is damn slow.

I am having a hard time figuring out WTF is this game.

I suppose it's their way of presentation. Most developers, if not all, rely heavily on their "over-the-top" cutscenes to further their narrative. I enjoy it in some games, but it gets really tiresome in the others. For instance, I like how Capcom had laid out Devil May Cry 3 and 4 cutscenes distribution. It was done only when the mission was fully completed with the right amount of storytelling. Though DMC4 went a bit overboard with some rather silly ones, DMC3 did it just right.

If you have played Dragon's Dogma, there is very less ingame movies and more focussed gameplay. They knew the emphasis was mainly on the gameplay and the lore could be told without the need of endless videos.

Asura's Wrath was another painful cutscene galore.

I loved the shite out of Metal Gear Solid 4, but good God, some of the cutscenes took ages to finish and agonising to sit through (Meryl and Akiba cornered fight).

Kojima is a Ch&^%@ but still better than david cage & these yakuza developers. He knows how to make a good game with a kickass gameplay.
I don't know if you have played catherine, it is also a story driven game. The way the story unfolds & the way you participate in it was done brilliantly. It gives you a feeling that you are a part of the game. Certain decisions affects how the story will end. In YAKUZA its just stupid press x after x for no reason.
Capcom is exceptional I never disliked their movies that much even if it was just stupid. It was limited to the point & certainly does not bore you!

hehe. in same boat as you, quan chi! even i had left playing yakuza 4 as well as its predecessor on PS2 some years prior that. plus, this reminds me of that game 'heavy rain' too (where probably the developers tried to go Japanese), writing about which brings back memories of those dreary & dismal game'play' hours (what paradox)! don't even clearly remember whether i completed it or not (though i think i most probably had).

I was watching deus ex mankind divided gameplay. Btw I have never played any deus ex. Honestly the long conversation & the settings looked so boring that I had to quit in the middle. Too much unnecessary conversation is just plain boring. It seems they are also influenced by MGS & other japanese developers.

I think thats why hitman & spilinter cell became more popular than other stealth games as they contain no unnecessary boring conversations.

Back