Why do some groups encode in Hi444PP Blu-ray?

6pack

ex-Mod
Isn't it waste of cpu processing? Isn't bluray just 4:2:0 encoded so i feel encoding in 4:4:4 makes no difference to quality. It only makes the file harder to play in standalone players or in systems that can't handle such Hi profile 444 encoded files.

Edit: for those who don't know what 444 means.Wikipedia link

Last edited:
Might it make a difference for HDR?

Either way, its better to have a master with everything, and then reencode to a lesser standard.

Hear me out. This is the way I feel.

To me, its like encoding 256KBps mp3 to 320KBps and hoping that quality will not suffer. Blu ray already has lost chroma sub sampling because of the avchd format. So trying to pad the lost bits with fake bits will not magically lessen the lost information.

I watched some video on this topic and only very high end HDR cameras actually save in 4:4:4 format. Even the $1000 cameras save in the 4:4:0 or 4:2:0 format to save space. When the master itself does not have the information then why would anyone think it would be there in the lossy format that is blu ray? Blu ray is lossy. 35/75mm analog or digital film to Blu ray produces loss.

Its no use to do this and seems to me the encoding group does not know what they are doing. Kind of like a placebo effect i think.

Hear me out. This is the way I feel.

To me, its like encoding 256KBps mp3 to 320KBps and hoping that quality will not suffer.

+1 to this.

Blu ray already has lost chroma sub sampling because of the avchd format. So trying to pad the lost bits with fake bits will not magically lessen the lost information. I watched some video on this topic and only very high end HDR cameras actually save in 4:4:4 format. Even the $1000 cameras save in the 4:4:0 or 4:2:0 format to save space. When the master itself does not have the information then why would anyone think it would be there in the lossy format that is blu ray? Blu ray is lossy. 35/75mm analog or digital film to Blu ray produces loss.

Its no use to do this and seems to me the encoding group does not know what they are doing. Kind of like a placebo effect i think.

Could be. Another point is that this is a subset of 10b encoding. Does the device support 10b decoding? Finally, what content have you seen with this type of encoding.

Does the device support 10b decoding? Finally, what content have you seen with this type of encoding.

Yes, its an android box which supports 4K 10 bit. Also have an Intel NUC with Celeron 3050. It plays all the 10 bit files properly. I haven't tested these Hi444 files cause I didn't want to download them to see if they play or not on the NUC. I have some 444p anime downloaded somewhere on hdd but last i played them, i had to use my main system with amd 8320 and amd 6670 gpu to play them back. Kodi on android only played a green/black screen with audio only.

Saw this on a reddit thread.
lxCMDwG.jpg

Plus saw another video which explains about 10 bit colour nicely.
Another youtube video about difference in quality of 10bit vs 8bit (under extreme conditions according to the author).
The 4:2:2 one looks dull cause it has more colour information in it.

What content have I seen? A lot of anime encoding groups on Nyaa.si use this. Search 444 on nyaa and you'll see what I mean. Some even encode webrips in this format.
I'm even seeing HEVC 444 10 bit files there now. (o_O) See nyaa id 749723. The encoder said he used 444 because of some rgb shift problem.

Edit: This 4K 10 bit video by the same guy is just 4:16 minutes and is about ~600MB in size.

Last edited:
Yes, its an android box which supports 4K 10 bit. Also have an Intel NUC with Celeron 3050. It plays all the 10 bit files properly. I haven't tested these Hi444 files cause I didn't want to download them to see if they play or not on the NUC. I have some 444p anime downloaded somewhere on hdd but last i played them, i had to use my main system with amd 8320 and amd 6670 gpu to play them back. Kodi on android only played a green/black screen with audio only.

Saw this on a reddit thread.
View attachment 72877

Plus saw another video which explains about 10 bit colour nicely.
Another youtube video about difference in quality of 10bit vs 8bit (under extreme conditions according to the author).
The 4:2:2 one looks dull cause it has more colour information in it.

What content have I seen? A lot of anime encoding groups on Nyaa.si use this. Search 444 on nyaa and you'll see what I mean. Some even encode webrips in this format.
I'm even seeing HEVC 444 10 bit files there now. (o_O) See nyaa id 749723. The encoder said he used 444 because of some rgb shift problem.

Edit: This 4K 10 bit video by the same guy is just 4:16 minutes and is about ~600MB in size.

I missed out on one point, that is I am seeing 444 mainly with anime content.

Back