Why didn't my Casio watch battery life not last 10 years?

sam9953

Adept
Hi guys, four years ago I bought a Casio watch, to be exact I bought this Buy Casio Standard Analog-Digital Watch - For Men AD84 - Price in India , Buy Casio Standard Analog-Digital Watch - For Men Online In India, Reviews, Ratings & Features | Flipkart.com but after 2 years the battery stopped working or maybe something went wrong, I don't exactly know what happened but my watch just went blank. So I got it repaired from the place I bough it, since that time my battery lasts something like 6 to 8 months, even though I never using the light.
Recently I have been having a lot of problem, every 1 month the watch goes totally blank and then I get it repaired by some petty amount.

So I have two questions:
Firstly, why didn't my watch battery last 10 years? As it is stated boldly on the watch?
Secondly, what can I do to stop this problem of the watch stopping to work after every one month?

The '10 year' battery life claim is under ideal conditions (no alarm, backlight, right temperature or in short lab conditions). 2-2.5 years is max. you can expect.

Regarding the repairs, suggest you to get in touch with authrised Casio reseller or service shop, as they have the original spare parts. The ones available for less than Rs.100/- are fake or refurbished batteries, and won't last long.

On the other hand, if you really want a watch which lasts long, consider buying a Citizen Eco-drive. I am wearing one, and no battery change sincle last 6 years or so. People claim to have easily got 10 years out of it. It runs on light. You can find them for starting at 7k. Really worth the money. They might also have digital models, but not sure, as I have mostly seen quartz.

Eco-Drives, do have a battery. It is a rechargeable Citizen Manganese cell (actually a capacitor). It approximates a life of 10-15 years, post that a Citizen service center changes it. I have this one.

My Casio Edifice: Has been running around 6-7 years, on the original cell I got with it @ Shopper's Stop. But when I am not wearing it for long periods, I pull the bezel pin, to disengage the circuit from the battery.

I have a similar Databank watch. The first battery lasted about 2 years. I got a new battery from the casio service center from where i bought the watch and the battery has lasted close to 7 years now and its still running fine. I dont use the light though. The only problem i've faced on this watch is sometimes (in 1-2 years) the watch gets reset to 12:00 2000 or some such date and time.

Edit: OP, maybe your watch got spoilt due to moisture or dust inside the watch. Get a new watch. Its hard to repair such complex watches after they fail once.

I also have this (SNP042P1)

No battery changes required on this one. This also has a power save feature. If the watch is not moved for sometime, the hands stop moving. However the watch still keeps time. The next time the watch moves the hands move and adjust to the current time / date and day.
This alone had me impressed. BTW this is a gift, I did not buy this watch and boy I was overjoyed to get this as a gift.

I also have this (SNP042P1)

No battery changes required on this one. This also has a power save feature. If the watch is not moved for sometime, the hands stop moving. However the watch still keeps time. The next time the watch moves the hands move and adjust to the current time / date and day.
This alone had me impressed. BTW this is a gift, I did not buy this watch and boy I was overjoyed to get this as a gift.

Yups, one of the Seiko hand motion energy propelled watches is my next target. Quite expensive they are, will need to beg a friend flying in...! ;)

Even my Eco-Drive; goes into slumber mode when kept in the dark for a few hours. The UTC keeps time internally, and as soon as uncovered the hands whirl around to correct time. Awesome.

Oh, so now listening to what you all had to say, I have made the following decision. I will try to make this watch work, as long as it does, because I love this watch too much too sell it, will donate it only.
One this watch of mine is gone then I will get a new one. Please suggest me the Cheapest, the least price watch, I don't want to spend much on the watch. But with maximum battery life. Doesn't matter to me if the watch does only one thing, that is to show the time. I just want a cheap, very very very long lasting battery watch which doesnt have any features. Suggestions welcomed.

I bought a replacement energizer cr2016 from amazon for my casio analog-digital watch a couple years ago. a friend brought it down when he was coming from the US. can't trust a single battery you buy in india.

My watch battery died some months back. Where can I get the 2016 battery here in India? Also how do you change the battery? Some red sticker is stuck on it by Casio.

My watch battery died some months back. Where can I get the 2016 battery here in India? Also how do you change the battery? Some red sticker is stuck on it by Casio.

Take it to a Casio shop. Some local watchmakers are not sure how to open the case-back, and also cause scratches. And if it is a G-Shock, the battery has to be shorted once, to fire up the watch.

Same story here. Even I got a Casio Edifice and it started giving problems at the outset while in warranty. Got it reaired twice, and after that the warranty got expired. It used to lag by 15-30 mins everyday. Finally its laid to rest in teh cupboard and I swore never to buy Casio again!

My edifice is working with one battery change for the last four years atleast . No problems . Gshock for the past two years no problems .

Same story here. Even I got a Casio Edifice and it started giving problems at the outset while in warranty. Got it reaired twice, and after that the warranty got expired. It used to lag by 15-30 mins everyday. Finally its laid to rest in teh cupboard and I swore never to buy Casio again!

That is sad to hear. Which Edifice was it. And where did you get it from..? Did you use the chronometer a lot, if it had one..?

I bought an Casio Edifice from grey market almost an year ago. the battery gave away last month.. within 1 year. It was surprising. Had to get the battery replaced :(

Back