Why aren't Airtel and Jio releasing their TV apps on Fire Stick?

Hi,

With BB becoming affordable, I am wondering why Airtel TV and Jio TV are not on Fire Stick? In fact Jio TV does not even allow you to cast to Chormecast. Any idea why? What is the point in limiting to a tiny mobile screen.

Does anyone have any idea what the rationale is? I would be happy to pay for Airtel TV or Jio TV. Is the market too small for them to make it available on Fire Stick?

That would undermine whole lot of DTH subscribers. That's why they are not doing it. Here is what I do. I bought Chromecast and use the Google home application to cast the whole phone and than use AirTel TV to watch. For IPL, you can use Hotstar on FireStick directly or use Chromecast too. Jio does not work that way. It finds that I am using Chromecast and it gives me error of not allowing it. However, I can use Miracast and run Jio.

In summary, they need to run DTH and they don't want us to cur cord.

There is Official Airtel TV app on Firestick.

There is also a Jio TV app that has to be side loaded and it works fantastic. PQ is great. Catch up TV is not there in this app. Just live TV.

Because Airtel wants you to buy its DTH service to watch on big screen. And Jio is also launching a separate TV service, according to some rumours at about INR400 per month.

IPL is available on Hotstar.

That would undermine whole lot of DTH subscribers. That's why they are not doing it. Here is what I do. I bought Chromecast and use the Google home application to cast the whole phone and than use AirTel TV to watch. For IPL, you can use Hotstar on FireStick directly or use Chromecast too. Jio does not work that way. It finds that I am using Chromecast and it gives me error of not allowing it. However, I can use Miracast and run Jio.

In summary, they need to run DTH and they don't want us to cur cord.

That is too much of a pain. Everytime, I need to change a channel or browse EPG, I need to depend on the mobile. I stopped using an HTPC precisely for this reason. After working months on end with WhatsOnIndia and XMLTV's Rob Eden to get them to include the EPG guide for indian TV channels so that I could use it with Windows Media Center and Mediaportal, I finally gave up as Tata Sky launched the recording feature with 500 GB storage. It was so much more user friendly than my labour of love. Of course Mediaportal with it myriad plugins such as ComSkip (Automatic Skipping of commercials on recorded shows) and keyword recording, ability to have multiple clients across the house and internet to access live and recorded content were all great as long as you are willing to tweak and tune it every 6 months. It was not wife and kids friendly. Today all these are irrelevant, as you have great broadband speeds and you can get commercial free programming for a small fee or even free in case of certain Youtube channels.

There is Official Airtel TV app on Firestick.

There is also a Jio TV app that has to be side loaded and it works fantastic. PQ is great. Catch up TV is not there in this app. Just live TV.
I am not able to find it. All that I can find is Airtel Movies.

Back