PC Peripherals Which Microphone for conference calls?

superczar

Skilled
My work role requires me to be on fairly long conference calls.
AT my workdesk, I usually prefer the classic Polycom starfish (soundstation 2)

I often work from home and have been struggling with finding the right conferencing solution
I have tried wireless headphones (Airpod and Jabra Elite) - they work well but my ears tart hurting after 30 odd mins
I have tried a BT speaker designed for conference calls (Harman Kardon Esquire 2) - while it works well for me, the other party sometimes complain of voice sounding muffled (it happens when the room is not very quiet - so am guessing it happens due to aggressive noise cancellation)

Of late, I have been trying to work with transferring phone calls to my PC (MBP) - which seems to be the best solution thus far
the VQ at the listener's end is good but not close to the level you would expect on a professional call - presumably because of the rather tiny microphone the laptop has

Now I am thinking of adding a dedicated USB microphone like a Samson UB1 (boundary) or a Samson Go or a blue ICE
Am not really familar with microphones so any thoughts/suggestions are welcome

If you can get the Soundstation - get it and use the mobile attachment wire which is basically a 2.5mm to 3.5 mm seperate mic and speaker and then conversion of TRS to TRRS (mobile) via another adaptor. Its pretty good, and if you use mobile services which are excellent, not much of issues.

I was in same situation some time back. And went with Samson Go.
It’s amazing mic, but my complain is its too much sensitive... and meant for studio environment.

it will pick each and every noise (no noise cancellation) form every corner of my house and if windows open even from another 200mts outside noise.
I can’t switch on the fan while on call.

I’m still looking to find out a solution for this. Covering up with thick towels doesn’t help either.
I always have to mute my mic if I’m not speaking.. sometime very annoying.[DOUBLEPOST=1538598053][/DOUBLEPOST]
ended up ordering a Samson Go

I was in same situation some time back. And went with Samson Go.
It’s amazing mic, but my complain is its too much sensitive... and meant for studio environment.

it will pick each and every noise (no noise cancellation) form every corner of my house and if windows open even from another 200mts outside noise.
I can’t switch on the fan while on call.

I’m still looking to find out a solution for this. Covering up with thick towels doesn’t help either.
I always have to mute my mic if I’m not speaking.. sometime very annoying.[DOUBLEPOST=1538598053][/DOUBLEPOST]
Tried reducing the gain?
Anyway, let me try it out once it is delivered

There is one 10db gain reduction switch doesn’t help much.

Let me know if you able to find anything to tame this.
Worked pretty much default for me
Voice quality seems to have improved significantly at the caller end..
I in fact had to do a slight bump on the gain - it is set to cardioid mode
Screenshot 2018-10-05 at 8.51.39 PM.png

Back